• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Operating System Do You Use?

What Operating System Do You Use?

• Windows 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows Vista

• Windows XP

• Mac OS

• Linux

• Other (post below)

• Total voters

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
Windows 7 because I built my, rather fast running, P.C from scratch only about a year ago. So I just bought it and installed it because I heard good things about it :)

Though Ive recently heard bad things about it. But its yet to fail me :D

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I've used all of them listed in this poll. And as much I as complain about Microsoft, I still think the Windows line is the best. It has a good level of flexibility and it can run almost anything. Linux I found way too counter-intuitive and time-consuming to use, reminded me way too much of DOS. Macs I found to be extremely limited and far too overpriced for their limited capacity.
My favorite Windows OS is still Windows 98, to me it was the most stable and the OS has the least amount of drag on the system's CPU and RAM. Sadly it just can't handle today's software anymore. Of those in the list I'd have to say Windows 7. It performs very well. I didn't like Vista because I found it too clunky and buggy and while it was out I preferred XP, but now that 7's fixed the issues I prefer that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazumi

chagy
I use a combination of Windows 7 and ArchBang, an Arch Linux distribution combined with OpenBox. I primarily use Linux for web browsing and school work, and then use Windows 7 for heavy gaming. I've never had to much of a problem with Windows, other than the odd annoyance. While Linux requires a bit more work to get certain things working properly, particularly native Windows applications, but when things do work they tend to work well.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Well, my main system is now Windows 7. There are some things I like better about Vista, but otherwise it's pretty good.
I do have Vista on my desktop, and when I got home I usually use my parents computer which has XP on it.

I have used Macs and Linux before. Macs have somewhat grown on me, but I still wouldn't want one for myself - I still find them to be confusing at times. However, I don't understand Linux at all. Perhaps it was due to me only having used it once, but it took me way too long to figure out how to get on the internet. :P

Austin

Austin
Windows 7. I used OS X for years but recently switched. After getting acquainted with it, I have yet to find anything OS X did better than Windows, but I can find plenty of areas where Windows surpasses OS X.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
As my family and I are very savvy, I have had Windows 7 since the release. I don't take advantage of the exclusives, as I don't even know them. But I use Windows Media Player and used to use WMM, and well, that's about it. Everything else I use is third party, like Sony Vegas and Photoshop.

I use Arch Linux with Fluxbox.

Austin said:
I have yet to find anything OS X did better than Windows

Personally, I think OS X's incorporation of bash for the command line (terminal) is something it does better than Windows, but that's largely opinion. Otherwise, I agree.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I'm on Windows almost all the time too. My first PC had Win98 but it was very buggy, I had BSODs almost daily (not even by viruses, I didn't even have internet back then). The second one had XP pre-installed but most of the time I had 2000 installed on that machine because back then there was almost nothing that 2000 couldn't do which XP could while 2000 was far more stable and not that heavy on resources, I always thought XP was basically the same as 2000 with some mostly useless junk added (like that "new" desktop interface which I've always turned off). With my third PC, Vista came pre-installed but I always thought it was very clunky and unorganized and ate a lot of CPU and RAM so I upgraded to 7 as soon as it was released just a few months later and I'm very content with it. I remember only to cases of crashing in the last two years, once it crashed because the PC had very bad ventilation (some co-processor without its own fan kept overheating to >100°C so I had to install an extra fan) and another time when I installed some faulty nVidia software (which was for 32bit and crashed my 64bit OS).
I also experienced around a bit with Ubuntu, but even though it's on the rather user-friendly end of the Linux spectrum it's still a bit to unintuitive and complicated to me (I'm not old enough to have had DOS/Unix as a main OS back in the day so I'm not very good at all those thousands of possible command line prompts). Especially the simple installation of programs is way too elaborate, if you're lucky then they're in a list, if not then you have to compile them by yourself, and a lot of programs I use don't even run on Linux at all.

I use Windows 7 mainly because I just got a new laptop. I used to use Windows XP, but Windows 7 with Google Chrome is all I need. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom