• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Nationality are you?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Originally when humankind was divided due to migration nationalism made sense, because obviously things were so insecure you wanted a large group to be safer. Nowadays, because of the progress of humanity it is no longer necessary, therefore I do not support it.

you're conflating ethnicity, nationality, and nationalism. they're very different things.

What you're describing is ethnicity. as the forerunners of modern homo sapiens migrated first out of Africa, and then to all corners of the earth. By the end of the Pleistocene into the Holocene, separation, isolation, and geography combined to produce a myriad of varying genetic diversity.

The entire concept of nationality is relatively new. Even as late as the 19th century, most people did not see themselves as from a specific country, but often a city or other small political region (even in the United States, it was more common to identify yourself by state of origin well after the Civil War ended). The modern nation state, from which nationality is derived, only really emerged in the early modern period around 1400-1600. ancient empires did not foster this ideal - rather the despotic structures promoted a very different relationship between rulers and ruled. There was no sense of national ownership among the non-elite, whose only connection to the greater national apparatus was via forced taxation and military service. Nationality and ethnicity are often tied together (see modern China), though are distinctly separate concepts - it should be noted that the various non-Chinese ethnic groups are expected to fall in line with national expectations (see also: The Soviet Union)

Modern nationalism (as we understand it) is the bastard lovechild of Romanticism and the French Revolution. Its inception was originally political - the French had good reason to spread the idea that component nationalities of polygot empires in central and eastern europe should band together and fight for their ethnic liberty - 'nation' and 'ethnicity' were interchangeable terms before the twentieth century as national pride was ethnic pride - vastly different from the indifferent imperial model they persisted under. The Germans, Bosnians, Maygars, Poles, etc were to pursue their own independence and break away from their oppressive controllers (and thereby weaken them for French conquest). Like most -isms, nationalism took on a life of its own beyond the driving force of political diversification into modern times.

Last edited:
I'm from America.

I live in the northeastern area.

What I love:

Freedom: I know people who have fought/are fighting to protect my freedom and the freedom of others in America. Freedom is a very important part of our country.

Diversity: We have many different people from many different countries represented here, and I think that that makes America stronger.

Determination: Throughout our history we have had a desire to succeed at any cost.

Patriotism
– We love our country. Period.

Volunteerism
– When there is a need in the world, Americans will be among the first to assist. We may argue about our politics, but when there is trouble around, Americans come together and you want Americans nearby.

Yeah, so that's what I love about it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I'm Norwegian, and although I'm not big on patriotism and nationalism, I'm very happy with living here.

- School system (mostly free, financial support/student loans with good terms for those who need it, so in general you have very good opportunities to get the education you want)
- Healthcare system (no one will go broke using it, although I wish dental was included)
- Norwegians at home (I've heard foreigners say that we're hard to get to know, but I just believe that's down to cultural misunderstandings - do not expect to exchange names and numbers with the person you talked to about the weather at the bus stop, instead see the separation between friendly chit-chat with strangers and a proper conversation that allows you to get to know somebody - once you get to properly know one of us, we're likely to be your friend for life)
- Next to no dubbing of imported shows/movies (aside from things meant for little kids) - subtitles all the way!
- The sense of security (it's mostly a very safe country to be in, very little gun ownership, low crime rates, and very, very few creatures in our fauna that can be described as dangerous and fewer that can be described as lethal)

Dislikes:
- Current government (worst two parties in the country are currently running it, I will celebrate when they are no longer in power)
- Climate/temperature (whenever summer comes around I always wonder if it will actually be a proper summer or fall masquerading as summer)
- The "Norwegian Accent" (the way some of my fellow Norwegians speak English is the most horrible thing for me to hear, it's not cute, charming or attractive at all, and I pride myself in not having it)
- The heavy import taxation (I don't mind paying taxes on what I buy, but I can barely order anything from abroad without it doubling in price because of that hefty fee they tack onto it)
- Norwegians abroad (there's some pretty bad "tourist" behaviours I've observed with Norwegians, but the worst one are the ones who expect to speak Norwegian when visiting some southern European country, mostly Spain)

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
- The "Norwegian Accent" (the way some of my fellow Norwegians speak English is the most horrible thing for me to hear, it's not cute, charming or attractive at all, and I pride myself in not having it)

I actually think it's pretty cute lol. I like the sound of Norwegian in general; it has a pretty different phonology compared to English in many respects. From the point of view of an English speaker Norwegian can sound pretty "exotic" for lack of a better word. But when Norwegians speak English with a thick Norwegian accent I actually find it kind of interesting to listen to. Liking or disliking Norwegian phonology when applied to English is totally subjective though of course.

When I was in high school we had a Norwegian foreign exchange student who's English was seriously perfect. She had not one trace of a Norwegian accent (she spoke a general American accent) and I never heard her say anything grammatically weird. After a while she even picked up our Appalachian dialect and was able to speak exactly like we did and use grammar we used. It was very impressive considering her only experience with the language prior to her coming to our school was just learning it in Norway.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm English. I like the country, I like the Queen Elizabeth money and the fact we are a tolerant nation, we dont get as much racism and homophobia as America and we are not dominated by Christians. Our prisons are also very cushy and they don't lock you up for long if the criminal life is for you.

I dont like the high price of booze, and I think we live in too much of a nanny state where people think that their getting offended by something is actually a big deal. Also people seem to have no personal responsibility like it is the governments job to look out for them.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Canadian. I don't really consider myself an extremely patriotic person, but I like living here for the most part. Canadian culture is something I am rather proud of, even if our government is questionable at best. I enjoy our music, our sports, our history (including that of our native people) our general outlook on things, etc. And I like our reputation, and I'm not really ashamed of any of our stereotypes. I mean, I'd rather be stereotyped as super nice than as...a gun-toting Bible-thumping beer-loving maniac or whatever. Oh, and naturally my favorite thing about my country is the milk bags. My only dislike is probably our government system, which extends to our treatment of
native people, our cruddy education system, and our weak ass PM.

I like to think that I don't really adhere to a lot of canadian stereotypes and whatnot but then I remember that this picture of me exists.
tumblr_inline_mn0h6xshWF1qz4rgp.jpg

look at my super long hair lmao this pic is like 2 yrs old

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I'm dutch.
What I like : Everybody is crazy so you behave normal mentality.
The fact most of us speak at least english or another foreign language.
Our attitude towards LGTB community. We openly embraced their rights already a couple of decades ago while some countries still act like they live in the middle ages with their behavior towards LGTB.

What I dislike:
The government. I dislike them with a bloody passion.
The way our education system and health care system changed slowly during the years and absolutely NOT for the better. We used to have one of the best health care systems in the world but the government got too greedy and changed it.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
U.S.A. baby, best country in the world.

What I dislike about it is numerous, however. Our education system is a prime one, though. I had the privilege to get a 1st hand perspective of the Nations best and worst public schools throughout my childhood. I can honestly say that the success of our education system rests on the ability of teachers to have a connection with their students, and teach them real world skills, as well as the standard academics; and also on the willingness of our students to learn.

I also dislike the sense of entitlement that is running rampant these days. I think it comes from a lack of goals on the individual level.

Also the media, it stopped becoming about the news and is about the partisan views. Nowadays, to get a full story, you got to watch the same report on 4 different stations.

But the thing I dislike most about my country is Cleveland,OH sports teams. Why do we have some of the best sports players in history, yet we always suck SO BAD?

American and Japanese. Let's start off with American...

Pros to being American:
-I get to have an opinion, and nobody can take that away.
-It's a salad bowl, meaning that pretty much the people from around the world with diverse ethnicities and races reside here. Some would argue that this is a con, but I find it wonderful that I don't have to go to another country to experience their culture. It may not be authentic, but it's better than nothing.

Cons to being American:
-Medical bills are not covered and we gotta dig into our pockets for having some serious booboos. Seriously, we could learn from others countries like Canada and Sweden.
-Deplourable public educations. I mean, I'm not going to elabourate upon this because we all know that Americans don't really stand an equal chance when it comes to brilliance on general when faced with other nations. I won't go as far as to say that we're stupid and incapable, but I'd rather receive my formal educations elsewhere if I could.

Pros to being Japanese:
-Anime on TV! =D
-Manga in Seven-eleven! =D
-Quality sushi for reasonable price! =D

Cons to being Japanese:
-Stereotypes. I mean, short? Small eyes? Crooked teeth-alignments? I don't fit any of them for Buddha's rice wine! XD
-I don't get this because I live in Hawaii, but Japanese are not that great in terms of relationships with Korea and China. Now, I'm not going to talk much, but seeing them (I'm 50% Japanese and 40-45% Chinese) bickering at each other just dismays me.

I'm English, and I'm really struggling to say what I do and don't like about it-It's just what I'm used to!

I don't like the stereotype shown in films and such where we all live in huge manor houses and have really strong English accents. That annoys me a bit since I'm really far away from being called posh.
I also hate that everybody seems to be moaning all the time! Whether it's about politics or that we've missed out on summer this year, there always seems to be something for people to moan about! Just stop it once in a while, just for a little bit at least? Everyone's becoming miserable!

I like our flag, I think it's pretty interesting compared to some others out there. I also like the wide history here and that we've got some nice landscape too. Oh, and we've got lots of beaches!(quite a nice positive of being on an island)

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
im american but if we're going into specifics,mexican and guatemalan
i dislike a lot of things about them but as for liking,i'm like gonna have to sit down for a good hour to come up w/ anything positive i can say about either,especially guatemala since i've never cared a single bit for that country

American, and very proud of it despite some of its major flaws.

- Melting pot, despite what the media likes to cover most people here get a long.
- America is arguably one of the most influential countries in the history of the world, especially considering how little we've been around. We landed on the ****in' moon.
- Americans are considered pretty friendly by foreigners (typically).
- I respect cockiness, and America is pretty cocky (typically).
- I like our amendments.

Dislike:
- The gap between the rich and the middle/bottom classes. I think this is the worst thing about America right now.
- That we only have two major parties ever winning elections, and they are both terrible especially the extreme versions of each side. Nothing worse than an extreme liberal, and an extreme conservative.
- Although I actually like us having a strong military, I wish we used it a little more sparingly.
- Too much instant gratifications in schools, which bleeds out into every aspect of peoples lives. Believe it or not this makes us 2nd rate gamers compared to the harder working countries like Korea or Japan. We have a terrible mindset where we wanted things handed to us or changed, rather than putting the time and effort to become the best. America didn't used to be that way, I'll blame liberals on that one.

I love being an American, but I also really like other cultures and countries too. I really want to travel some day...

Night Owl

~Momentai
Texan and proud. Never met one who wasn't.

Pros about Texas:
-home of the friendliest people you'll ever meet
-is universally recognized by people of all nationalities (when travelling there are two types of people from the US those who say they are from the US and Those who say they're from Texas)
-We shape just about everything into the shape of our state.
-home of the Best BBQ anywhere
-Is energy independent from the rest of the US. Texas is primarily on its own power grid with a few border communities on the other US grids..
-Is the best state ever

Cons about Texas

- I can't seem to think of any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom