• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What N64 game will you play first?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Something long rumored and desired is that Nintendo add an N64 online option, similar to the already existing NES and SNES services, but it's unlikely that ever happens. If they were to make an N64 Online option, and assuming it had all the classics and then some, what would be the first game you played on it?

MW7

Probably Ocarina of Time, then Majora's Mask. I'd be interested to see what versions they would use. You'd want to see master quest included, but I remember the gamecube collector's edition was pretty buggy (Majora's Mask especially) so they'd probably need to recode some things, and the 3ds versions are a little different from the original games. Ocarina of Time 3d is preferable over the original, but I'd rather have both. The original Majora's Mask is preferable over the 3d version. Your topic implies it would be the N64 versions, and I'd be happy with that.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Definitely OoT then MM because every version I own looks trash on my 4K TV so a version with a forced aspect ratio lock might help.

Easily Mario 64.
It's not the best but it shows what is capable with the old hardware and is a good starting point.

Definitely OoT then MM because every version I own looks trash on my 4K TV so a version with a forced aspect ratio lock might help.
Note well - all games N64 and earlier were designed with CRTs in mind. This equates to non square pixels.
Thus you will never get a perfect output on modern display hardware. But a good integer scaler would help a lot. Assuming you can set the vertical scale and horizontals scale independantly from each other.
Also there is only so much scaling you can do on a 240p (I think it was 240p) game. Upscaling 240p to 4K? Hmmm that might be a little too much as there's just not enough pixels in the original source material.

Though I agree that an officially emulated version will have more options and should look a lot better. How much better though? We will know when and if it happens.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I still own my N64 so I would play games that I never owned. I really want to play and beat the Banjo games (I only ever rented them from Blockbuster so I never got through it) I also would want to play the Gex game and the Mario Party games too.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Banjo-Kazooie and then Banjo-Tooie probably, I never played the sequel so it'd be good to start on a nostaliga trip and then move on to go further in the series. I'd also like to try Conker's Bad Fur Day but I feel much doubt that it would ever be included on the Switch Online.
These were exactly what I was thinking, I'll prolly get my hands on another 64 at some point just to give em a try

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom