• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Musical Instrument Would You Like To See?

I have a slight feeling that interactive music won't play a big part in this game, if at all.

If you actually look at the last two titles this is very apparent, Skyward Sword sort of shoehorned the Harp in and it added next to nothing to the overall experience, while A Link Between Worlds didn't have any sort of important musical item.

To be honest I wouldn't actually that bothered of we weren't to see a musical item/instrument again. Don't get me wrong, I did like the Ocarina back in MM and OoT--using it to change time, weather, teleport etc.--however we could do all this without music really. I know music is such a big aspect and such a crucial fundamental part of the series, but I wouldn't be surprised or upset if no musical item was present in the Wii U installment.

Eh. Zelda games usually don't.

I hope there is some sort of musical instrument for Link in the game. I always enjoyed pulling out the ocarina to perform various magic-related things in OoT. Sure, Epona could have been summoned by Link whistling, but playing a song to do the same made it feel more interesting and more important somehow. I also like the idea of magic and music being entwined in certain ways. It added to the sense of discovery, too, when you learned a new song, or discovered something new to do with the songs you had (even small things, like mending a sign with Zelda's Lullaby). It was even still cool to me in WW, and I was disappointed that there wasn't any main musical instrument in TP.

Anyways, I second the lute idea. Beyond being a really cool instrument, it's also very medieval, so it would fit the Zelda universe quite well. Plus, it wouldn't be overly ridiculous for Link to be carrying a lute around with him (unlike a stand-up bass or a pipe organ :P). I think it would be pretty easy to use the gamepad touchscreen to play it, too: just touch the right string to play the right note. They could even color code the strings and reduce the number of them to make it a little easier.

Honestly though, just so long as it involves actually playing notes and not mindless, clueless strumming a la SS harp, I'll be happy.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I would love to see a penny whistle. It is very easy to play and sounds amazing for such a simple insterment. It would also give an Irish /English feel to the game and possibly to the rest of the music.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I don't care what instrument it is and if there was none I would be perfectly happy too.

The thing is though, if they do have an instrument in the game it has to be of some real use like in OoT and MM. In these games the instruments were an important to the plot, just like every other game to feature an instrument since. But unlike many newer installments these instruments were more than simply plot devices. In OoT and MM you were able to learn many songs, some of which were used exclusively to move you through the main quest, but others were completely optional or had functions that could be used to interact with the world you were exploring.

If an instrument is exclusively used to push you through the games story and has no optional songs or functions for required songs that allow for enhanced world interaction, then such an instrument should not be included in the game. This was obviously the problem with the harp in SS, as it was almost exclusively used as a "plot pusher" and was uncreative in how it controlled, this caused the developers to not include any extra songs that could have had interesting uses.

Last edited:
Don't have one at all. I think there are better ways to do this. WW used wind instead of sound. I think the new Zelda game should use light instead of sound. Use the rainbow or something as the main thing, and maybe a prism to capture the light and show it in different ways to progress in the game.

Therapist Bill

The Pianist
I love the piano, played it for a very big chunk of my life. Although, it would probably be a little weird if Link would just whip out a nice piano and start hitting the bones. I'm also a fan of the guitar, but that too would feel a little clunky. Maybe a little ukulele? Would be cute. Doesn't even have to be portable, if Zelda Wii U has player housing I would absolutely love to have a nice classic mansion with a grand piano chamber.

Sadly, I'll have to agree with Justacoolguy, music most likely won't be a big part of the upcoming game. Guess I'll just have to be happy with a jaw-dropping score! :)

unitedfronts

Our leader the mockingjay
I personally would rather he didn't find any sort of instrument in this game. Instead, maybe he could have something that you still use like an instrument that isn't one. Like a ribbon (bad example) you wave around with the gamepad's touchscreen, or a pen and paper where you draw special symbols that do certain things. (Like Okami)

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I think they should have Link obtain a Magic Keytar. For those of you who dont know what im talking about, Here, I'll let James Brown show you!

keytar-grand.jpg

I would rather Nintendo not include a musical instrument in the game. While I do think they are unique mechanics that I instantly associate with Zelda as opposed to other action-adventure games, they tend to slow down the pace of the game. All of the 3D console Zelda games up to this point have included musical gameplay elements, so ditching them for once wouldn't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom