• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Makes You Unique?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
This'll be a light-hearted thread where we talk about something about each of us that makes us unique. Some quirky feature we might have that not everyone else does that sets you apart. We are the same, and we are different. Instead of fearing our differences, embrace them! What makes your body unique? Can you bend your thumb further than others? Can you make a weird sound others have trouble making? Can you hear better than others? Or even things that get in the way, do you happen to be deaf? Or perhaps color-blind? That which makes us unique also makes us the same.

Me, I am able to cross my eyes at will, and not that "look at my own nose" cheating kind of crossing. I have a double-jointed toe. And ever since I fractured my left arm several years ago, my elbow cracks every time I bend it. All three of these can freak people out.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
One way I'd say I'm unique is that my idea of an ideal world is significantly different than 99.99% of the world. I'm sure if I told people my more controversial and unheard of ideas that 99.99% of the world would hate me. I swear it. I'm not talking about making murder, pedophilia, slavery and what not legal, it's all harmless activities that are illegal now-such as gay marriage, abortion and all drugs (yes all)-that I want to be legal. For the most part, I'm not into the things I want legal (I'm not gay, pregnant and I don't do drugs :P) I don't wan't people to miss out on activities and lifestyles they enjoy because I, and other people, personally object to it. Even other people who believe that would probably draw the line somewhere and say "that should be illegal because I don't like it." That line, for me, is only drawn when you're hurting someone against someone's will. But that doesn't really count, does it?

Besides my beliefs and ideas not much about me stands out. I'm really quiet and I think I may be subconsciously trying to somewhat blend with the crowd. Or maybe I'm just trying to stay comfortable and survive my life which involves blending in. Or maybe both.

Interesting thread. I don't find myself very unique, though. I guess I could mention that I have an odd ability to remember long lists of information. Just the other day, I memorized the entire "J" section of my local White Pages (phone book) after one read. This extends to other things, too. I've memorized all fifty states, every pontiff ever elected, the capital of every country that exists in the world, etc. The downside is I can't seem to conjure up this info at well. It usually comes up after few hours of sleep or other odd times. lol

I'm double jointed in both my shoulders. I'm able to rotate my rotator cuffs 360º twice. I just recently found out when I was stretching before a workout a couple of years ago. I'm generally more flexible than average due to genetics. Also, I'm a geek with muscle tone XD. How's that for an oxymoron? [noparse]:P[/noparse]

I guess there's one more thing. I have an affinity for learning new languages, and I can learn a new language in a fourth of the time it takes the average speaker. By the time I entered the fifth grade I was speaking Spanish (as a second language) at an intermediate level. My Spanish has gotten rusty over the years due to disuse, however (lol). Over time I became interested in learning even more languages - mostly languages with Latin roots (Romance languages). I'd spend my summer vacation inside learning over the internet. I also thought I'd study Japanese a bit, seeing as how I love anime so much and all. Today, I can speak five languages at degrees ranging from intermediate to advanced. My Japanese is lacking, though, given the fact that there are three writing systems I still must master. [noparse]:P[/noparse]

As I've stated before, I'm not very unique. Rather, I'm not very unique on a large scale...

EDIT: 'Kay. I think it's still early enough to add this little tidbit to my post. :yes:

I forgot to mention I have a thing where I "smell sounds", "taste words", etc. It sounds odd, and it is. lol Turns out this oddity actually has a name. It is a neurological condition known as synesthesia. I first realized I had it years ago, when I realized that a song on the radio "tasted" like bleach. Another odd instance of synesthesia comes when I think of my niece's name; it "tastes" like mucous - like the kind you cough up... This is an example of the rare lexical-gustatory type of the condition - pertaining to sound and taste. The most weird thing about my synesthesia is my name "smells" like feces. lol I don't consider synesthesia a disorder, because of the negative connotations, but I must admit, there are times when it seems like one. Like, there's this odd thing that involves colors. When I see colors, I have a tendency to confuse them with other colors. For example: I see a green marker. I'd say, "Give me the orange marker." , after clearly specifying in my head that it's green. Weird, I know, but I think it's quite cool being a synesthete.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghosi

Schmetterling
Sometimes I hate my physical self for being so different, but that is also why I love it.

First of all, I have a weird hair color. When I was little I was all blonde but ever since I became a teenager I started to grow my hair in a reddish hue. My hair is also very curly and I have a lot of it....sometimes when I walk in the street or go to the piac(market) and shops, some people would come up to me saying "Your hair is so beautiful." or when I went to visit the dentist some time: "Did you get in line for hair twice?" I thought it is pretty strange. What goes best with an undescribable hair? Undescribable eyes. I can't tell what color they really are, though I settled on either a washed out blue or gray. I also have a brown miscoloring on the iris of my right eye.

Another weird thing I have is wide shoulders. It causes me to not be able to fit through doors without bumping into it. Because I am also a girl, it means I am kind of bigger than some girls. In PE last year, I accidently tackled this girl because I ran into her, and it didn't end very well... Lastly, the big shoulders also cause me to wear bigger shirts, because I can't fit into anything that my shoulders don't fit into.

Some weird things I can do is:
- Shake my eyeballs. I can stare anything and anybody and just start shaking them. It is weird, but hard to do in contact lenses.
- If I stretch out my right toe and wiggle it, it produces a lot of cracking sounds, with every wiggle motion.
- I can bend my fingers into weird shapes.
- I can sleep in the weirdest positions. Even if I twist and bend myself in a lot of ways, I will still fall asleep in that position.

I sometimes love/hate how I act like a normal teenage girl. I watch girly teenage movies, paint my nails, and all kinds of stuff. It kind of makes me feel sort of special, and set apart from my male brothers. I'm also very much a nationalist. It makes me feel proud to meet new people and talk about my country, Hungary. I also feel special that I am a nerd! Without it I would not be excited over game releases, or even be a member on this forum right now. So, lets all embrace what we are unique for, because you are you for these reasons! :)

Well, I don't have much to say, but I'm the only person I know in my school who doesn't like shooter games that much. I am also friends with a wide variety of people like sporty people, gamers, and rednecks. Also, I can draw decently well. Um............ I'm also a very picky eater. Here's the story on that: I was about 4 years old, and when i would get angry, I would slam my head on the ground/wall/steps. I think that had something to do with it... and now I only eat a very few select foods such as pizza, bread, certain chicken products, and an assortment of chips, cookies, and other junk food. I think that's the most unique thing about me.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Well, I don't have much to say, but I'm the only person I know in my school who doesn't like shooter games that much. I am also friends with a wide variety of people like sporty people, gamers, and rednecks. Also, I can draw decently well. Um............ I'm also a very picky eater. Here's the story on that: I was about 4 years old, and when i would get angry, I would slam my head on the ground/wall/steps. I think that had something to do with it... and now I only eat a very few select foods such as pizza, bread, certain chicken products, and an assortment of chips, cookies, and other junk food. I think that's the most unique thing about me.
I'm picky like that too, but for a different reason. I was born allergic to almost everything. I couldn't even have breast milk. I had to have a special formula made with soy and barley. It was bad. I developed immunities over time. But that selectiveness in what I eat never went away. And I'm very slow to try to eat anything new.

My music makes me unique. I'm a guitarist/singer/songwriter and have written now over 200 songs. It's always something I love doing, and also find it a very good release. I may aswell put a shameless self-promotion in there and provide a link for those who may be interested in checking it out - www.reverbnation.com/davejarvis

Other than my hobbies, I have a pretty crazy sense of humour. It's hard to describe my sense of humour on an internet forum, I think you'd need to meet me and see for yourself to fully understand - but basically I'm a random nutter :p So I guess that makes me unique too

ZeldaFan11

#TeamPhelps
Well im not verry unique but some of the things i can do is pretty neat and people at my school cant do them like....
~I'm double jointed in my fingers and i can make them look like they are broken lol
~My right ankle makes a cracking noise every time i walk/sprint/run...ect. it gets on my nerves
~My eyes...i cant descirbe the color nor can anyone in my school, they say my eyes are either Grey, Sky Blue, or a washed out Green color...i love them though<3
~I cant turn my feet allmost all the way aroundXD

Other than that....im pretty normal ...or whatever you think normal is lol

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Being born with a mild condition of autism known as Aspergers have given me a number qualities that makes my overall character unique. Among the forefront of these is a genuine concern for the welfare of others. Whenever I see someone hurting I sort of freeze up inside, sort of incapacitated by an immediate empathy springing forward. My mind calculates how I might help the person, and I will help them if I can. But more often indecision makes me hang back, because I don't know what I could do, yet sympathize so much that it's almost as if I'm experiencing the exact degree of their "pain."

Another trait is my severe intolerance for things that don't go my way. This is largely due to my condition, and also includes my own inherent reluctance. Even at this age (although not really surprising for a teen) I feel as if I should do things according to my volition. If I'm told to stay with my family, for example, when there are friends I'd rather hang with for the time, then rage boils up inside, and it takes loads of restraint to not give in to that. Many people go through with this, but let me tell you, me doing it can really stand out. ; )

About two years ago I was playing basketball and when someone passed to me, I jumped up after it and miscalculated. The ball ended up landing on my right thumb, sort of tearing it back (or so it felt at the time). I could still play all right, though it felt like fire burned inside it at times. Anyhow now I can bend it a lot farther back than my left thumb, which took some getting used to, but the nerves seemed to have adjusted to it.

Last edited:

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
I'm unique because...I dunno. I've always kinda been the 'freak' of school, where girls were busy playing with Barbies and whatnot, I was climbing trees and reading every book I could get my hands on. I always, ALWAYS, challenge the impossible and I'm always wondering "why? Why are things the way they are?" I see the world a lot differently than a lot of people see it. I get inspiration for things I write (and I write quite a lot) from the weirdest places, namely dreams (I wake up, remember my dream, and BAM! Instant story.) People kinda get annoyed when I question things (including my parents, they actually asked me "Why can't you act normal?") but I can't help it. I'm really literal and I'm just...weird. Like I look at the Washington Monument and wonder "Wouldn't it be cool if you could steal that?" People would say "don't be stupid. that's impossible." and then I say "not really" and go into a big explanation of how exactly I would do it. I love planning, but at the same time I'm spontaneous. I'm like a walking contradiction. I also have ADHD, which sometimes I consider more of a blessing than a problem. I kinda go out of my way to be different. I'm just odd.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I considered myself unique because I'm a person who has a full functional brain and I am able to read, write, and do pretty much anything that I want. Sure it's your typical person, but looking at it that way, everyone is unique even if you don't have a talent or anything because we were all made unique because we were born.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I guess one thing that makes me unique is that I don't think that life is as big of a deal as everybody else seems to think it is. If somebody dies, or even if I were to die, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. People die, it happens, life isn't as valuble as many people think it is; besides, I believe that when you die, you continue to live on in your spiritual or "astral" body, so your concience never really dies.

Sorry if this was a bit morbid for anybody.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I guess the thing that makes me unique is my hair because it's super super curly. and my teeth, regreatbly the are unbeliveably tiny. and my tattoos also make me unique but i guess that's kinda cheating lol :P

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Wow, that's a long list... I guess at the top of that list would be either my weirdness or the fact that I'm not afraid to show it. Some people would try to fit in to make friends. Me, I stand out and make friends with other people who aren't afraid to stand out. The fact that I'm kind of... a natural non-conformist sets me apart from a lot of people. I honestly don't care for brand names, whether it's sneakers or clothes, and I generally have no interest in what most teens my age like, such as choices in music or entertainment. I rarely let things influence me. Plus, I generally think differently than most people. For example, I put my friends before myself all the time. Of course, sometimes I need to worry about myself, and I do when I need to. But I generally live for the people I love and their happiness as opposed to my own, because their happiness makes me happy. I know it's a cliche, but I honestly don't care. I don't care what other people think, because the way I think is fine by me. And I'm not afraid to admit these things. Because it's truly how I feel. I feel like most people don't generally dwell upon these things as much as I do(which would be every time I find myself laying awake in bed at night when I can't sleep, which happens a lot). I can get really introspective when I zone out.

I guess the biggest thing that makes me unique is that fact that I'm so different from most people. And I am very proud of that.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Me? What makes me unique is the fact that I'm quiet. I have two very noisy siblings, noisy classmates, noisy dogs.....what's good about being quiet is you tend to listen more. What I like doing is overhear what someone says, and then months later, hold it over their head. :P

Hmmmn.....what else......there's the fact I've never thrown a fit in my whole life......I don't like shooter games......I love being sarcastic without changing your tone of voice.....

Nothing I can really think of besides that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom