• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Makes You Play Pokemon?

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
What is it that makes you desire to return to the new games each time one is released to play it? Is it the prospect of new story? New characters? New Pokemon? New areas? New online battles and functions? Or just returning to something familiar?

Personally, I think I find that I get excited each time a new main Pokemon game is announced because I am looking forward to embarking on a new adventure again, and seeing anything that is new within the world there, as well as experiencing a familiar story, with familiar gameplay. It's within a certain comfort zone so I'm aware of certain things contained within the game, but there's a lot of fresh things too - I particularly like seeing what the new gyms will bring.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I just got hooked and love the games I've tried so far. I already finished HeartGold several times, and Pearl once but restarted it again not too long ago.

HeartGold keeps me coming back for more and here's why. I want to complete the Pokedex in that game first and foremost, but I also keep playing it for enjoyment, the game has lots to offer to me still, like the breeding, the games, the Pokeathlon specially, and I go hunting for pokemon every once in a while in order to trade them. I breed mainly because it is easier getting shinies that way, if you have some required stuff, that is. :P

But mainly the love for the games is what keeps me playing them. ;)

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I've been playing pokemon for a very long time. I've always been interested in exploration and collection. Collecting pokemon and training them as I progressed through the various storylines gave me a sense of accomplishment as I saw my pokemon grow stronger. The wide variety of pokemon to choose from and the hundreds of move combinations made for a strategical workout when facing others in competitive battling. Filling the pokedex was never a huge goal of mine, though it was nice to be able to say "I've caught every single one!". (Which I make sure I do in every new game. Completely by fair means. That's trading, searching for hours...etc).

In short, discovering new towns, new stories and new pokemon is what keeps me playing. Applying the things I find in the game to real life is fun too. Like soundtracks for different towns/places. It's always fun to imagine them playing in the background when you enter an area. :P

S

shadeninjaIII

Definitely the exasperation and discovery is what draws me to pokemon. The idea of exploring a new world and discovering new types of creatures and locations is a dream of mine. If there was a job of exploring new worlds in the world right now I would definitely take it. Plus I love the idea of training that pokemon brings to the table. I study martial arts and I love training and getting stronger so the idea of having friends who are monsters and can train to have special powers is definitely a way to get me to play a game which pokemon has.

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
Embarking on new journeys is a big one for me as well. I enjoy discovering new things in Pokemon games, including people and the creatures themselves. :3 Not only that, but Pokemon also has a steadily evolving mythology, and I enjoy learning new things about their expanding universe.

It's a strategy game. Deciding which moves will work best with your team and forming your own team that still matches your preferences is a challenge in itself. Coupled with the adventure and awesomeness of having monsters battle for you is just awesome in itself.

That's something I've never understood myself. I've always loved the Pokemon series even though I'm not fond of Turn based battle games or Monster raising games as a whole.

I wonder that myself but mayde hust uncovering a new journey and new types of pokemon is what keeps me going!!

I enjoy playing the games, they all have a comforting feeling to them because I have played them so much throughout my life. Seeing what new things are ahead in an adventure and what nintendo has come up with. I can't pinpoint any exact reason why I keep playing but I do... maybe because it's fun. I'm not sure, the only thing I don't like is that they are making up new pokemon again, and half of them look like they don't have much thought put into them.

Last edited:
Hmm...Interesting question.
I don't really know, actually. :P
I just always have a really fun, positive experience with the games. :D

RHhylian

Guru-Guru's strange son
Probably because it's so addicting... I really like that there are so many options to choose from throughout the games: which Pokémon, which nicknames, what level, special challenges etc.

Dragon Master

Master of Dragon Pokemon
I play Pokemon in hopes for a better story, and I want to catch them all! So far I have them all except for the three event Pokemon that haven't been released yet, but all my Pokemon are kept on separate games, because I'm too lazy to put them all on one game. It takes too much time and effort. After having caught them all I want to train them anyway, so it all works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom