• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Made You Happy Today?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Man, 'tis a day for mantises indeed
IMG_20220830_115417.jpg

Found this cute little lad(y?) And had to take them home with me for a photo shoot

IMG_20220830_120431.jpg

I think it's a male because of the wing to abdomen ratio but it never flew away which makes me wonder if it's a female who just has an unusually small abdomen

Last edited:
I think it's a male because of the wing to abdomen ratio but it never flew away which makes me wonder if it's a female who just has an unusually small abdomen
It "looks" female to me by the overall shape, but I could be wrong. Males also have ridiculously long antennae.

If you took any good pics of its abdomen, you could confirm its sex by counting its abdominal segments. Females have 6, while males have 8.

Very beautiful mantis friend regardless. Glad you got to spend time with them. :eyes:

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
It "looks" female to me by the overall shape, but I could be wrong. Males also have ridiculously long antennae.

If you took any good pics of its abdomen, you could confirm its sex by counting its abdominal segments. Females have 6, while males have 8.

Very beautiful mantis friend regardless. Glad you got to spend time with them. :eyes:
I think you're right, I just read that the wing/abdomen ratio isn't always indicative until a mantis is fully grown so perhaps she's just an adolescent
because like you said the shape is more female

It does appear to be fully grown; subadults don't have full wings, just "wing-buds" in their later instars (which is probably why its a bad indicator for younger mantises) but adult wing size could probably vary a bit with genetics too. But yeah, it definitely has more of the bulk I would associate with a female mantis.

Talked some philosophy type stuff with my bestie. The conversation actually kind of started in a rather dark place but it turned into something rather spiritual and powerful. Got a lot of thoughts swirling as residue from that. It's oddly comforting and reassuring that some of the ideas I'm having for the story I'm writing are themes he thinks about routinely as well. Feels good to not feel alone.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
random pleasant memory of playing Dark Cloud for the first time and going through the first dungeon, then my mom randomly comes in to ask if I want to go to a buffet w/ her, reason its random is b/c she only ever makes stuff at home and we seldom ever go out to eat, but anyways we went, food was great, then I resumed playing Dark Cloud

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom