• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Kind Of Zelda Games Do You Play?

Kazumi

chagy
Now this may seem like an odd question.. But here it is:

Which Zelda games do you play? Are you more of a LoZ - LA person? Maybe a OoT, MM, OoX person? Are you a WW - PH person? Do you play 2D or 3D Zelda games more often?

It may be a little confusing.. But.. When did you start playing Zelda? And which games do you play? And has the time you got into Zelda effected your look on certain games, or which games you play?

Sort of a confusing thread I know. But it's hard to word.

For me, I began playing in the age of the GameCube and Wind Waker. Soon after Wind Waker's release, my friend got it on his Cube, all I had at the time was a PS2. I played through the game at his house, and loved it to death. Now that I've got a GC and a Wii, I own the game. But to me this was my first real exposure to Zelda. The first Zelda game I actually owned was TP back when I got my Wii in 07.

You may think this would make me more of a "modern" Zelda gamer, but no. When I first used the VC Service, I downloaded OoT. And I loved it. Since then I have gotten all of the games from LoZ to OoX. In the way that they were released. I still have yet to own or play through FS, MC, and FSA (Though I have played FSA quite a bit). So really I'd consider myself more of a "Modern Old School" Zelda gamer.

What about you?

L

Liah

I've been Zelda-ing since 1988 on the NES so I started on the top-down 2D days. I'm a vintage gamer at heart, but I've absolutely nothing against the 3D games. I loved OoT/WW/MM/TP muchly, though I prefer the difficulty of AoL to any of those. I do miss some aspects of the older games, but I still love the series through and through.

K

Kat :3

If perchance I am stuck at a decision of what Zelda game I will play, I would choose OoA and OoS or OoT and MM. The Minish cap is adorable but very straight forward, I will always love Link's Awakening, it was my first Zelda game.

I'll tell the truth and say I've always enjoyed the 3D titles way more than the 2D ones. Some may kill me for saying it, but I find it much harder to sit down and enjoy, say, OoX when I could be playing OoT or TP. I guess that's because the first Zelda games I played were 3D. My first game to play was OoT on one of the Game Cube editions, about six years ago, but I never really could completely beat it. My second game was WW, which I got quite a while after it was released. I kinda hated it with passion, so Zelda pretty much died on me after that, and I didn't get back into tracking the progress of Zelda. Sure, I went back, and finally beat OoT and MM after a while (along LA, the only handheld title I did have at that time) but I never really thought it was super duper anymore. To my surprise, I walked in a Wal Mart one day and saw an advertisement for TP, and it was less than a month away from release. That was my first exposure to TP, so I didn't experience the orgasm-ish hype that a lot of people had. It looked so cool to me, and I bought it as soon as I could. I beat it and loved it, then decided to start exploring further into the series' roots (the only oldie game I had was LA, but I had LoZ and AoL on the collector's disk, just never bothered to play them). I got the handheld version of ALttP, and only in the last few years did I really complete my collection with OoX.

Ha, looks like I went on a rant there. Well yeah, that's my little story. I've always been more excited for the darker type of 3D Zelda games, like MM or TP, and I guess that's why I'm already looking forward to Zelda Wii.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Hmm, LoZ-LA probably fits best, but I like most of the games that came after too. I definitely prefer 2D to 3D, especially with Zelda. I find the gameplay to be a little more exciting. Also, there are no pesky cutscenes or lengthy intros, which tend to get old after the third playthrough or so. And of course there's nostalgia, the best reason of them all. :D

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I've been playing the games since the NES, the original Zelda being my first game ever, so I've grown up with the series. I guess the older games have set high standards for what I consider "good" games, but I still play even the most craptacular games out there. I mean, I love Zelda, but I'm still going to play every other game I can get my hands on.

As far as which I prefer goes, I do enjoy the older titles, mainly pre-OoT, the most. I guess I just really enjoy difficulty and using my imagination. As new games come out, Link gets more and more personality, so I guess I just miss him really being a true avatar of the player. Since ALttP, TWW has been the only game that has truly "wow'd" me. I dunno... I mean, I like that Aonuma really cares about timeline and filling plot holes, but I just don't feel like he's done well enough. I'm waiting for him to have a true Miyamoto moment and just blow me away.

Of course, I replay all the games often, but the 3D titles don't amuse me as much as the older games do. That doesn't keep me from being excited about new and upcoming games, though, because the series as a whole is pretty much the best. Ever.

I'm not a new-school or old-school Zelda-fan, I'm an all-over-the-place Zelda-fan. :>

Steve

5/19/13
I really have no distinct game of which I play, I can never play a game twice in a row, so I usually alternate between 2D and 3D titles. Looking at my records of how many times I've beaten Zelda games, it looks like Ocarina of Time is my number one though, with Majora's Mask and The Legend of Zelda close behind.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Hmm...I think that I'm more of a ALttP and MM Zelda player than anything else. I mean, I like the other games, but those are the two that got me hooked to the Zelda series, so I tend to find myself playing them more often than I do any of the others.

I grew up during the time when only the NES and SNES were out, but I only had a SNES. So naturally ALttP would be the first Zelda game that I actually owned and got to fully experience. I had played the original LoZ before, but I never really got into it like I did ALttP. A few years went down the road and not only did I have a SNES, but I had a N64 as well. MM was then the next Zelda game that I played and after that I was hooked.

So I guess that I would be considered to be an "Old-school" Zelda gamer because I like to play those two games the most. :)

Last edited:

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
That's.......a tough question.

I'd say i'm an all rounder, i'm more than willing to play through any of the Zelda titles again at any time. Though in all honesty, I prefer the 2d style games more. I enjoy the likes of OOT, MM, TWW and TP quite a lot, but the likes of OOX, MC, ALTTP and both FS titles just have something that the 3d games don't for me.

First Zelda game I ever played was Ocarina of Time. Even today I prefer the 3D Zeldas. That means OoT, MM, WW, and TP.

I love the 2D Zeldas too, though. I've played ALttP and MC, and love both games.

I think I prefer the gameplay of the 3D Zeldas because... well... they're 3D. They can pull off a lot of different kinds of puzzles and experiences the 2D game can't. They also have a tendency to have more more fantastic and beautiful environments.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I started with OoT, so at first I only liked the 3D titles and sort of 'hated' the 2D games eventhough I never played them. I thought they were just primitive, way too difficult and not fun games...until I started with MC and FSA. I really liked the 2D gameplay and I even finished LoZ. 2D zelda games are way more fun than I first thought, so I turned from a 3D zelda fan to an 'overall' zelda fan :).

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Heh, I think this is a brilliant thread, it's always interesting to know what kind of Zelda games people like... because although we all love the series, there seem to be different groups of fans within the fandom x3 But I think you worded it fine~

What kind of Zelda games do I play.. hmmm...
I guess I'm LttP-WW person in terms of era... although I adore all the games, that's the era and those are the ones I "grew up" playing~
However... I'm only actually just getting round to playing LA and OoX... those 3 don't appeal to me as much as the others, for some reason. LttP and OoT are probably the ones that got me into it, and also the first ones I played...

SO yeah... that does make me a LttP-WW minus LA and OoX person. man try saying that three times fast o_O
I'll probably add to this but the stack of practice GCSE papers are glaring at me from my table... I'd better go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom