• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Kind of Story Do You Want in Zelda Wii U

L

Link2792

Havent seen a thread so i figured id start one. So would you like to see the classic 3 dungeon exploration, plot twist, complete six or seven other dungeons and a final face off(A link to the past type) or something like majoras mask? What does everyone think?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I prefer the former. Majora's Mask had exceptionally little story. The sidequests took the bulk of it and...well...since they're sidequests, there wasn't enough time to give us strong characters and they felt unimportant since they weren't mandatory.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
One that puts even more emphasis on involved storytelling. Specifically plot detail. Skyward Sword did a great job stepping up the presentation, character development, and dialogue, but the detail spectrum was only marginally improved. The Zelda series deserves better than that.

Dukusword

Hylian Warrior
I'd say Skyward Sword had the strongest Zelda story. So if Nintendo wants to make it that good or even better than I am happy.

I'd like to see a different kind of formula, in TP i was racing through the first three dungeons just to hit the plot twist, it was better in Mm and granted SS and even WW becuase you didnt know when the plot twist was coming and that was always nice. But for WiiU i'd like to see nintendo craft a different plot for the hopefully interesting narrative.

L

Link2792

I personally like alttp style but they could build upon that far more than what twilight princess tried to do. Such as, a quick intro dungeon(like the deku tree in oot), then add your 3 main quest dungeons. That way the player can already be used to the controls, feel of the game, and could be a great way for nintendo to make these next 3 dungeons much more difficult. I always think that the zelda games that use this formula make the first three dungeons as trials for the player when all we need is one. Anywho keep it coming. Ill have a story line of what i want to have in the upcoming release here soon

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd put the story on auto-pilot and let things roll from there. Honestly though, i could take a simplistic or intricate story...just don't hype me up for something that doesn't actually happen, or that happens in a manner that betrays the built up hype.

Like, at pre-release, Skyward Sword's being like a "high school drama" really got me riled up for some deep details regarding Link and Zelda's romance. I was expecting Groose to turn evil...or something...for Link and Zelda to kiss, and for generally drastic things to happen. Of course, none of that did and I was left angered at Nintendo's strategic move of building up hype and subsequently disappointing me. The end product was a different way of telling the stereotypical simplistic Zelda plot, but what made it worse is that the majority of the most important character's screentime -- Zelda -- was spent being a camera***** to make players feel sorry for her by the end of the game. Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

If Zelda U's story is to provide romance, I'd want them to have several layers of romance, nothing too simple. If Zelda U's story is to provide an epic, I'd want it on a huge scale, perhaps that of The Lord of the Rings or greater. If it's to be simple adventure, do it with fantasy overtones like The Hobbit. <3

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The end product was a different way of telling the stereotypical simplistic Zelda plot, but what made it worse is that the majority of the most important character's screentime -- Zelda -- was spent being a camera***** to make players feel sorry for her by the end of the game. Just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Dude, she had very little screentime compared to how many cutscenes there were. I really can't understand how you keep saying things about SS that are objectively false.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dude, she had very little screentime compared to how many cutscenes there were. I really can't understand how you keep saying things about SS that are objectively false.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I said she had a lot of screentime! What I said, and I quote, "but what made it worse is that the majority of the most important character's screentime -- Zelda -- was spent being a camera***** to make players feel sorry for her by the end of the game."

'The majority of Zelda's screentime was spent being a camera [hog] to make players feel sorry for her by endgame.' is what I said, worded differently.

But, even if I were to say that Zelda hogging all the screentime was bad, it doesn't affect my views. In a romantic story, I feel that the "love interest" shouldn't spend a lot of time looking sad or cute or pretty...they should do something of relative worth at the beginning, sometime during the middle, and of course during the end. Oh, and at the end, the "love interest" shouldn't say what, through certain eyes, amounts to "uhm...you saved me and all, but I don't want to be with you because hey, I have this mystical item to protect!" That simply isn't the direction I want Zelda U's love story -- if it has one at all -- to take. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I said she had a lot of screentime! What I said, and I quote, "but what made it worse is that the majority of the most important character's screentime -- Zelda -- was spent being a camera***** to make players feel sorry for her by the end of the game."

'The majority of Zelda's screentime was spent being a camera [hog] to make players feel sorry for her by endgame.' is what I said, worded differently.

But, even if I were to say that Zelda hogging all the screentime was bad, it doesn't affect my views. In a romantic story, I feel that the "love interest" shouldn't spend a lot of time looking sad or cute or pretty...they should do something of relative worth at the beginning, sometime during the middle, and of course during the end. Oh, and at the end, the "love interest" shouldn't say what, through certain eyes, amounts to "uhm...you saved me and all, but I don't want to be with you because hey, I have this mystical item to protect!" That simply isn't the direction I want Zelda U's love story -- if it has one at all -- to take. :)

Hogging the camera is lots of screentime. She also did do useful things. Like help save the world lol.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Let's go minimalist!

I am, have always been, and will always a be a huge advocate of evocative storytelling in gaming. But that does not mean that I advocate a style of storytelling that places the story at the front and center of the gaming experience - in fact, in many cases I argue the opposite. My three favorite games of 2012 all had very minimalist storytelling (Journey, The Unfinished Swan, and Papo & Yo), and were greater because of it.

I want to see Zelda go down that path. Skyward Sword was a game almost purely driven by story, with a very dominating plot that at times gave the game a very rigid, linear feel. It's not a bad thing - and some games can do it excellently, such as the Uncharted series and, by my vote, Final Fantasy XIII - but it's a gambit that I feel did not serve Skyward Sword all too well in the end. Given the Zelda series' strengths, I think a minimalist story that emphasizes exploration of the overworld as the primary source of exposition (through finding various bits of lore and history and what not hidden away) would be far preferable. It frees the game to allow the player to explore as they will, rather than as the game directs them to do so.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hogging the camera is lots of screentime.

Oh, yeah that was kinda ambiguous the way I wrote that. What I meant was, in the scenes that Zelda DOES appear, she hogs the camera and just tries too hard to look cute/pretty/somber in an effort (which largely worked) to fool people into thinking she had some deep plight. I mean, check these two babies out:

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Showdown At The Gate of Time [HD] - YouTube (at about 0:28 - Zelda looks so surprised to see her childhood friend. Around 1:08 she's looking all important in an effort to keep scene watchers hooked on the suspense. Through exposure to her figure, onlookers are simply mesmerized by Zelda, whether they consciously recognize it or not. Oh, but at around 2:03 she's again looking worried about her childhood friend...so now people somehow feel sorry for her. I personally did at first, but after reviewing her, I felt disgustied ina way)

HD Gameplay - The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (Romantic Scene) - YouTube (around 0:08 - she's looking cute again! mesmerizing eh?)

She also did do useful things. Like help save the world lol.
True to that. However, I feel that her little crystal scene was insignificant (by endgame), unimportant (by endgame) and appalling in execution. As an important character, sacrifice is good. It shows the character is willing to accept destiny, which are pretty much the exact words that Aonuma [or one of the staff dudes] described SS Zelda with. However, when the plot inadvertantly rules that sacrifice out, things get a bit iffy. I'd much prefer if Zelda Wii U does not go down that route, of making seemingly significant actions totally stupid with the afterthought. :I

L

Link2792

Ok so some of you may disagree but here goes. Warning this will be long.

Links uncle is sick and needs medicine only found across the forbidden sea. Link goes to the boatkeeper, where he is located is across a brief section of hyrule. The boat keeper will let link use one of his boats to let him sail if he goes and gets something the keeper wants that was taken from him by a beast that arrived out of nowhere. The beast went into a fortress, he says, in nearby cave. Dungeon 1.

Links completes this dungeon and beast and gives him the (insert name of item here). Link then gets in the boat and sails and does a little bit of exploring when all of a sudden he is shipwrecked on an uncharted island. Washed upon shore, a woman finds link and carries him to her husband. The husband exclaims he can fix the boat but would like to ask a favor of link in doing so. The man would like you to kindly bring 3 pendants to him that he claims were once his. He tells link that they were hidden in three temples around the island and marks on the map where they are located While link is on this quest, the man states that he will begin on the boat link must find these pendants Duh nuh nuh nuh dungeon 2 3 and 4. The man also mysteriously has the medicine for links guadian as gratitude for finding the pendants. After this link needs a charter to find hyrule which hes told is at a nearby island.

Once there he grabs the charter in a bearby shack and a cutscene reveals agahnim as he knowingly awaited for links arrival as planned and link was tricked into bringing the sacred pendants to agahnim because agahnim diguised himself as the husband of the couple that helped link repair his boat. Agahnim knew he couldnt step foot on the sacred grounds of the temples to retrieve the pendants so using his power, he made the seas treacherous and made link wash ashore on the island. Link meets agahnim at the top of his tower(like a link to the past) and beats him. But oh noo agahnim is not defeated. He draws link into the dark world of hyrule filled with evil creatures, different landscape, etc, and link must collect the remainer pendants found in towers and dungeons of this world to break the seal of agahnims new larger tower in this new land of hyrule.

I think that the correlation between light and dark worlds and also a big change in scenary would make this feel epic and let the story kind of tell itself instead of 50 unneccessary cutscenes everytime you cplete a dungeon

About all i have. Feel free to add more thoughts or even disaprove

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Oh, yeah that was kinda ambiguous the way I wrote that. What I meant was, in the scenes that Zelda DOES appear, she hogs the camera and just tries too hard to look cute/pretty/somber in an effort (which largely worked) to fool people into thinking she had some deep plight. I mean, check these two babies out:

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Showdown At The Gate of Time [HD] - YouTube (at about 0:28 - Zelda looks so surprised to see her childhood friend. Around 1:08 she's looking all important in an effort to keep scene watchers hooked on the suspense. Through exposure to her figure, onlookers are simply mesmerized by Zelda, whether they consciously recognize it or not. Oh, but at around 2:03 she's again looking worried about her childhood friend...so now people somehow feel sorry for her. I personally did at first, but after reviewing her, I felt disgustied ina way)

HD Gameplay - The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (Romantic Scene) - YouTube (around 0:08 - she's looking cute again! mesmerizing eh?)

What exactly is wrong with looking cute? It's a lot easier to sell a romantic interest with attractive people. Imagine that love interest was with Twilight Princess Zelda's manly-looking face. Wouldn't be very appealing, now would it? Zelda also has a ridiculous amount of sexual tension in her eyes multiple times, making the love interest go much farther than mere looks. Link is also clearly oblivious to this fact. It's great scenery and something I can't understand you criticizing.

True to that. However, I feel that her little crystal scene was insignificant (by endgame), unimportant (by endgame) and appalling in execution. As an important character, sacrifice is good. It shows the character is willing to accept destiny, which are pretty much the exact words that Aonuma [or one of the staff dudes] described SS Zelda with. However, when the plot inadvertantly rules that sacrifice out, things get a bit iffy. I'd much prefer if Zelda Wii U does not go down that route, of making seemingly significant actions totally stupid with the afterthought. :I

I don't follow what you mean. How was it poorly-executed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom