• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Kind of Overworld Would You Prefer Seeing in SS?

Which kind of Overworld would you prefer seeing?

• Huge, with lots of exploration required

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smaller, easier to navigate, and easier to find your way around

• Somewhere in the middle

• Total voters

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I've always wondered this. If Link is going to be able to fly, then the overworld would have to be HUGE!!! And this got me thinking. Would a huge OW, with lots of exploration required, be awesome? Or would you rather have it smaller, easier to navigate, and generally easier to determine where you're going from the get-go?

And please, explain your reasoning.

I, personally, would like a huge overworld. Exploration is a staple of any RPG, after all. The ideal combination for me would be a combination of the interactivity and plot-centric-ness of Twilight Princess' Hyrule Field, and the sheer size of The Wind Waker's Great Sea. If it were smaller, there wouldn't be as much room to put cool things in the field, like, say, a hidden Cactuar in the Kokiri Forest Wall (it actually is there if you look hard enough) or a hidden Chocobo in TP North Hyrule Field (it moves around for some reason, yet I can't figure out why. I'm trying to get a good screenshot where it's obvious that both of them are there).

OhYeah!

♫A▼▲A▼▲
A huge overworld with a lot to see and discover would be awesome. But it wouldn't be so fun if it only was fields. Snow, forest, desert and so on is always great.

I'd like a huge overworld with lots to do and explore. it would add to the game, give it more hidden passages and holes in the ground, a lot more sidequests and just generally add to the longevity of the game and keep you busy for ages.

Kybyrian

I would love to see a fairly large overworld that has lots of room for exploration. Hyrule Field is great and all, but I would love something that's a little more interactive with the player. Maybe some more wilderness and variety to the landscape. I'm not talking something like Majora's Mask where it was just sudden change in area completely, though. I would love for there to be a lot of area in the overworld and maybe less of an open exploration type. I'm supporting something where there are more paths, maybe side areas only accessible some ways and all that good stuff. It would be great to see a more interesting area to explore in the overworld instead of just having to rely on dungeons to give you that sense of adventure and exploration.

L

linkofthepast

i would like a big overworld with lots to explore aswell

Nicole

luke is my wife
I think I would like a large overworld, but one that is easy to navigate. That is why I voted, "Somewhere in the middle." Many people consider Twilight Princess to have a really big overworld, but I never thought it was that big. The Great Sea in The Wind Waker, now that I thought was big. However, it was manageable with the incorporation of the warps. I believe flying would also make a large overworld easy to navigate, so I wouldn't have a problem with a huge overworld in Skyward Sword.

A few games in which are really enjoyed the overworlds are Twilight Princess, Okami, and Tak and the Power of Juju (yeah, still play that :D). I already talked about TP, but Okami also had a wonderful overworld. It was huge, and had so many different sections to explore! The main protagonist was very quick, though, so a lot of travel wasn't that bad. To me, as long as there is a quick way to navigate, I would like to see a pretty big overworld. The sailing in The Wind Waker was very, very slow, which made the overworld seem even larger and more uninteresting. I'm excited to see the flying mechanic, if there even is one. Flying can make any overworld great in my opinion. :P

I'd like to see an overworld somewhere in the middle. Just more in-depth, interesting, and changeable. Along with the norm (day/ night, rain, etc.), I'd like to see more weather changing and some events happening. It would also be cool to see more height in the field areas and stuff, as opposed to just flat land all the time. A little activity (people doing stuff, etc.) couldn't hurt either. Oh, and I wish they'd add some mini-games and trade quest involving the overworld, per piace :).

i would like a huge over world but with lots to do. every zelda game i have ever played has had a big over, but not much to do in it. i would like that to change.

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
A large overworld would definitely add to the game, and since there are two, one in the sky, and one in Hyrule, it makes sense to make them big. I'd also like it to have many secret areas and things to do. Even the first game had secret areas that you would have to search all over for, and some were difficult to find.

Djinn

and Tonic
I also want a huge overworld, something along the lines of WW in vastness. Something that you could almost get lost in wondering all around. The overworld in TP might have been larger than normal, but it was sill a lot of close caverns and pathways through cliffs. You still had a very small set path to follow between mountains and large rocks. That kind of defeated the concept of the large expansive overworld in my opinion. The map of WW was great, but translating that to land might be a challenge. Sailing through miles of ocean before getting to an interesting island works well enough, but it would get a little too tedious roaming through miles of countryside until happening across a large rock or a small village out in the field.

I would also want items and skills picked up later in the game to open up more secrets and possibilities in the areas you previously passed by. I never like it when a area is only there to provide proof that the country you are in is large. There has to be something to do there and more to discover when you have the ability or item later in the game. I like to go back and search over a previous area for some more secrets before I attempt moving on to the final castle. Or wonder back after beating the game and wish to discover more. This is another aspect of the original I would like to return. You never knew when a random rock or bush that you have passed by a hundred times before could be destroyed to reveal a minidungeon or hidden shop. Even a helpful NPC that would give you an item or heart piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom