• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What kind of overworld do you want in Zelda Switch?

Breath of the Wild had a very mountainous overworld with a very natural/wilderness theme to it, hence the 'wild'.

But we've seen other overworlds such as water based like Wind Waker and segmented like Skyward Sword.

Which kind of overworld would you like to see in Zelda Switch?

Would you like an ocean based overworld or a world segmented with numerous islands?

Would you like a more urban/man-made and developed overworld as opposed to all of the nature?

Or would you like another post-apocalyptic overworld?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Both Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3 have open world's which are large but they aren't seamless. Each big area is separate like the Desert and the field. I think this is better because it taxes the system less and allows more stuff to be going on in each area. I think this kind of world would be best.

As for setting. No more of this post apocalyptic stuff. Its an excuse not to build cities and create and animate all its inhabitants. I'd love to see a more developed world with some real and more advanced civilization. I'd also like them to create a more interesting world next time. Zora's Domain was amazing in BoTW because it was so different to what has been seen in other games but fields and mountains are in pretty much every open world game and lack that wow factor.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
A 2D style world. Not really in 2D itself, but I want it to be less open like they have been since OoT. More like the 2D games where you're in a lot of tight spaces, surrounded by enemies, and kept active instead of just waiting or holding forward on the control stick until you reach your destination.

I still want an over-world similar to BotW's in terms of being mostly land based with lots of elevation changes to allow for climbing and paragliding. However, instead of taking place in Hyrule I would like the setting to be a foreign land we've never seen before. Hyrule is great and all, but we've seen some version of and it's three major provinces in every console release since TP. It's time for a new setting to mix it up.

Another possibility for over-world layout would be one that actually has two layers: a surface world, and a subterranean system of caves and old ruins. Multiple different points throughout the upper world could have chasms or other entrances to the "underworld" which you could then explore for as long as you want or until you find another entrance to the surface to climb out of. This could allow for a gameplay contrast:

-the upper world would be a place of open exploration and be populated with towns/villages
-while the lower world would be a more labyrinthine navigation challenge that is sparsely populated and instead filled with more/stronger enemies than the surface

Last edited:
A 2D style world. Not really in 2D itself, but I want it to be less open like they have been since OoT. More like the 2D games where you're in a lot of tight spaces, surrounded by enemies, and kept active instead of just waiting or holding forward on the control stick until you reach your destination.

Ah but 3 of the 2D Zeldas have big overworlds too. TLoZ and the Oracles.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I'd like to see a seamless overworld with minimal structure and varied terrain. No more loading zones gated by transitions. Open it up like BotW finally did. I expect something with visual flair like Twilight Princess. I expect every inch to be packed with content. Varied content not endless bokoblin camps, franchise shrines and 900 freaking bobbles to trip over.

I also want Hyrule to feel like a place. A living, breathing place. For a game calling itself Breath of the Wild this environment sure seems dead. The last time the series came close to feeling like a real place was Twilight Princess and even it seemed like it was less than half as lived in as Ocarina and Majora's Mask the latter of which went even further with making the world seem like a believable working place.

I don't expect robust character interaction like The Elder Scrolls or something, but can we at least have NPCs go about their day to day business, if even on an endless loop? Can we even get some simple audio banter between NPCs as we walk past? Can we get towns? Actual honest to god towns with houses and people?

Oh, and would it kill us to get something resembling a grounded graphical style for once? Just once! Then we can go back to the kiddie paints forever and ever and I'll never ask again :dry:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd like to see a seamless overworld with minimal structure and varied terrain. No more loading zones gated by transitions.

Not if they implement a shrine system again or anything similar. The strength of a seamless overworld is being able to load it up once and play without interruption, but BOTW turned this into a weakness since the shrines constantly took you out of the overworld and into the underworld. The transition back always took a long time to load. Instead of being the only Zelda game where loading is hardly a factor, BOTW became the only Zelda game where loading was an actual issue.

I don't expect robust character interaction like The Elder Scrolls or something, but can we at least have NPCs go about their day to day business, if even on an endless loop?

Didn't...we get that?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'd really like a mixture of big cities and nature. BotW's overworld was amazing and full of gorgeous and cool things around every corner, but one thing it was missing was big cities to match the scale. That's fine in the context of BotW being post-apocalyptic, but the physics engine would be really fun to play around with in narrow alleyways and jumping from building to building. I really want natural wonders again, but I want them to be surrounded by big cities with tall buildings, too. Ruins of that kind would be cool, too. Throw in some flooded forests and ruins, systems of caves, etc and it would be great. It definitely needs to remain open, too.

I'd really like a mixture of big cities and nature. BotW's overworld was amazing and full of gorgeous and cool things around every corner, but one thing it was missing was big cities to match the scale. That's fine in the context of BotW being post-apocalyptic, but the physics engine would be really fun to play around with in narrow alleyways and jumping from building to building. I really want natural wonders again, but I want them to be surrounded by big cities with tall buildings, too. Ruins of that kind would be cool, too. Throw in some flooded forests and ruins, systems of caves, etc and it would be great. It definitely needs to remain open, too.

Post-Apocalypse is probably a cop out for the engine not being able to run real cities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom