• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Kind of Dungeon Settings and Themes Would you Like?

This thread isn't about what "kind" of dungeon you'd like to see in terms of structure, Instead, I'm curious about the "flavor" of them. Things like:

- In what kind of setting you'd like to find them?
- What would be the lore around said dungeon?
- What kind of architecture would be cool?
- What kind of core mechanic/theme/objective would drive it (things like timeshift stones, or changing water flow)?
-Would you like them to continue to have elemental themes (forest, fire, water etc.) or be more generic?

In my case I'd like to see a tribal feeling (somewhat mayan/aztec inspired) dungeon located in a rain-forest, that fittingly would be water-forest themed.

In general, I'm interested in potential design space of mixing multiple elemental themes together, especially ones that seem mutually opposed, like ice and fire, light and shadow, earth and wind.

But what would all of you like to see?

Zelda has given us a lot of cool themes for dungeons but they reuse them far too much like forest, fire and water.

I quite like what Ocarina of Time attempted with the Shadow and Spirit temples...

I'd like them to go further and have perhaps a Phantom dungeon. Like imagine turning a Lost Woods style maze into a dungeon full of ghosts and puzzles that could be illusions that shift in design while you're trying to figure them out.

I'd like an undead dungeon too, not a dungeon with indead elements like Shadow Temple in OoT or Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword but a proper Redead infested land of the dead style dungeon.

@Spirit

All my yes to this. I'm a huge fan of the creepy/scary areas and dungeons of the series past. Unfortunately it seems like Nintendo has been drifting away from some of those darker toned areas since SS, but hopefully they make a return in the near future.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Overall I want dungeons that are integrated into the world, like they have a real reason to be there. Not just alluded to either but flat out explained. The existence of so many dungeons in the Zelda series are unexplained. Some are so enigmatic they defy explanation, like my all time favorite OoT's Forest Temple. Other times the nature of their existence is never even alluded to, such as TP's Snowpeak ruins.

I want to know why temples like OoT's Fire Temple and OoT and TP's Water Temple exist. I want there to be a clear history and backstory to the dungeons. And I want a variety of locals. Not another "Forest Temple is a maze of giant dead trees" again, thank you! TP's Arbiter's Grounds is a favorite of mine because of its unique desert theme, obviously drawing heavy inspiration from the Roman era of ancient Egypt. TP has the series' best variety of unique dungeons, imo; second only to OoT.

I just want the narrative to expound on the history and nature of the dungeons next time.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
To be honest, I don't think dungeons really need to have a story or a history or anything like that. It just bogs things down. The dungeons should be pure gameplay, and maybe integrate other areas into the overworld, this way you can make a castle or a mansion feel like a real castle/mansion in the world, instead of a game of mouse trap with a story tacked on.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
When the dungeons are designed, I want a story behind it. A "why is this dungeon designed this way?" that makes some sense and explains how it is possible to build a dungeon with that style.

Not a dungeon with endless pitfalls that looks like the only way it could have been constructed is if it were being projected by a computer, like some of the BotW shrines are.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
- In what kind of setting you'd like to find them?
They get a bad rap but for years I've wanted a dungeon in the sewers under a big town. I don't know why but I love sewers in video games. Maybe it's because that's where I belong, who can say. I can just picture these grand, white stone waterways built as an engineering marvel many years before that are now filthy, the walls stained green and black, nearly forgotten and filled with creatures that like the dark and damp, and much worse besides. I mean, nasty things happen in big cities. People die, and you don't always have the means to bury the body, you know. Wonder, er, wonder where some mean-spirited people might dump a body they need to get rid of. Hey, if nothing else, it could give 'cleansing the dungeon' a literal reinterpretation.

- What would be the lore around said dungeon?
I fall somewhere between @Castle and @DarkestLink when it comes to lore. I don't want dungeons to be disconnected from the world with no justification or reason, but I also don't want everything spelt out for me.

Castle mentioned how Snowpeak Ruins makes no sense as a location, but I disagree. For starters, it's a mansion, so it was someone's house. That's a reason for it to exist already. But it's also full to the brim with weapons, armour, even cannons. The proportions of the doors are human but the armour clearly isn't. So what's going on? The location also very suspect. It's isolated and inhospitable, but the approach to the mansion is a narrow strip of rock that must have been eroding for some time. Maybe Snowpeak looked entirely different in centuries past and this mansion is all that's left of a once thriving community. We don't get any explicit answers, but there's enough unique and interest details and aspects that the player is invited to speculate (the way I did in this thread here, go on, give it a click :D).

This is how I like my dungeon lore. I want something to form a foundation for my own speculation. Dungeons are more fun for me this way. Arbiter's Grounds is another good example. We know it's a prison, we know it was built by Hylians, we know it's in the Gerudo Desert, we know there don't seem to be any Gerudo around, we know the Hylians fought the Gerudo king, and we know the prison is full of ghosts, zombies, and skeletons. Hmmmm... There's a very dark story in there and I prefer that the game doesn't tell it. It speaks to the history of Hyrule and the way the society feels about that history. Such a grand structure being abandoned suggests a deep shame about what happened there. Or maybe there is no shame and the Hylians were driven out by vengeful ghosts. Either way, I prefer being free to read whichever of those stories I want.

As for my idea of sewer dungeon specifically, well I already hinted above about it once being a source of pride and now being a dumping ground for the city's less savoury characters. I'd be hesitant to go any further and rather let environmental design do the rest of the heavy lifting, suggesting things, insinuating ideas, but never outright telling anything.

- What kind of architecture would be cool?
A SEWER!

This is something I've not thought about as much, but I like when there's a mix of broad architecture. What I mean is I like when the game mixes things up between flat, wide dungeons and tall, thin ones. Towers offer interesting opportunities for puzzles and navigation. You could do like WW's Tower of the Gods and have each floor be an isolated set of challenges that get progressively harder as you ascend. Or you could do like also WW's Dragon Roost and have the player navigate inside and outside the tower.

Dungeons that alternate between indoors and outdoors is also something that I generally like but see very little of in Zelda. It's so infrequent that the sheer fact the boss for ALBW's Desert Palace is in Lorule while the dungeon itself is in Hyrule still makes me giddy with excitement. It's such a cool idea. ALttP's Desert Palace is split between two sections and you need to go outside in order to get to the second part, such a simple thing that has been in my memory for literally twenty-five years. Goron mines in TP has an open air section and WW's Dragon Roost and Tower of the Gods have you go on the outside of the towers. SS even manages to do this (!!) in the Fire Sanctuary, with the bridges over the central canyon. I love all this kind of design and want to see it more. Not in every dungeon, of course, just more than we currently do.

- What kind of core mechanic/theme/objective would drive it (things like timeshift stones, or changing water flow)?
This wouldn't be appropriate for a sewer dungeon, but I have had an idea in mind for a long time about a dungeon that uses steam as a central mechanic. There are several ways this could be done. Perhaps you have a water-based dungeon and Link has some means of starting fires to boil the water, driving machines and such to change the shape of the dungeon or open new paths and all that business. I do thing this idea would be best done if Link had a means to start fires and produce water. That way the player wouldn't just have to figure out the fire part, but how to get the water where it needs to be, too.

Similarly, an ice-based dungeon where you use fire to create water instead of steam. It could work in much the same sort of way. Knid of like TP's Lakebed Temple but instead of opening grates to make water flow you have to figure out how to melt ice. I think something like that, using elemental environments in a more direct manner, could be really fun.

-Would you like them to continue to have elemental themes (forest, fire, water etc.) or be more generic?
I would, but I agree with @Spirit that some themes are overdone. I think one way to make them fresh would be to combine elements, like what I was talking about above with regard to creating steam. getting out of that mindset of 'red, green, blue' would be good for the series overall. Arbiter's grounds was desert, but full of ghosts. Snowpeak was ice, but full of soldiers. Bottom of the Well was a torture dungeon. Jabu-Jabu was the inside of a giant fish. Thieves Town was a bandit hideout. It's the greatest tragedy of WW that the Ghost Ship isn't a dungeon.

Dungeons can be absolutely anything, and even elemental ones can defy archetypes by putting unexpected things in them. I don't want elemental dungeons to go away, but I do want them to display more creativity to cover for their commonality.

Thank you for attending my ZeD talk.

They get a bad rap but for years I've wanted a dungeon in the sewers under a big town.

I definitely like your idea for a sewer dungeon! There was a segment like this in Twilight Princess under Castle Town/Hyrule Castle, but having a full on dungeon built around that kind of setting would be awesome. Personally, I really want to see more dungeons like Skull Woods with multiple entrances/exits, and a sewer system would be an ideal setup for this.

I fall somewhere between @Castle and @DarkestLink when it comes to lore. I don't want dungeons to be disconnected from the world with no justification or reason, but I also don't want everything spelt out for me.

This seems like a good middle ground approach to me, and is generally how I like my lore as well: showing instead of telling, as both Snowpeak Ruins and Arbiter's Ground's did. Visual world-building still allows some room for imagination, whereas having everything explained to you generally doesn't. Also, having to read long text blogs takes you out of the direct gameplay experience for the duration. That said, I did enjoy the diaries in BotW, and the scannable lore in Metroid Prime was also fun. Some text explanation is good, so long as it isn't overdone/overused.

This wouldn't be appropriate for a sewer dungeon, but I have had an idea in mind for a long time about a dungeon that uses steam as a central mechanic. There are several ways this could be done. Perhaps you have a water-based dungeon and Link has some means of starting fires to boil the water, driving machines and such to change the shape of the dungeon or open new paths and all that business. I do thing this idea would be best done if Link had a means to start fires and produce water. That way the player wouldn't just have to figure out the fire part, but how to get the water where it needs to be, too.

Similarly, an ice-based dungeon where you use fire to create water instead of steam. It could work in much the same sort of way. Knid of like TP's Lakebed Temple but instead of opening grates to make water flow you have to figure out how to melt ice. I think something like that, using elemental environments in a more direct manner, could be really fun.

Great minds think alike; I've had a similar idea for a dungeon! My version is an ice/fire themed dungeon that revolves around converting water between it's three states: solid/liquid/gas. The dungeon item/ability would enable thermokinesis (temperature manipulation), allowing Link to either cool down or heat up water (the dungeon environment would also lend itself to this gameplay structure, given the presence of ice and flame/magma). Using steam and/or water pressure could be used to turn water wheels, power turbines, etc. so the setting would also be somewhat like the Goron Mines.

I would, but I agree with @Spirit that some themes are overdone. I think one way to make them fresh would be to combine elements, like what I was talking about above with regard to creating steam. getting out of that mindset of 'red, green, blue' would be good for the series overall.

For sure, single themes like forest, fire, water are overdone at this point. However, given BotW's "chemistry engine" it would be a shame to do away with elemental dungeons completely, so the way to go would be to combine elements as you said. Besides the heat based dungeons we've both thought of, it would be cool to see a water/electricity themed dungeon to expand off of some of the shrines that were playing around with the idea of conductivity.

Last edited:

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I'm not sure if this has been said, but I would like them to revisit the "egyptian pyramid looting" theme of the dungeon from Phantom Hourglass, but in a game without the same issues.
Sen's Fortress in Dark Souls sort of gave me what I wanted, but Sen's Fortress also makes me want to kill myself, so maybe not quite as bad as that!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I'd like to see an Egyptian themed dungeon, based, obviously, in the desert, where the puzzles would be centered around deciphering heiroglyphs, full of Gibdos, ancient Egyptian booby traps, and such. That would be awesome.

- An Aztec/Mayan themed temple as suggested
- Pyramids
- A Lost City (so kind of like an overworld in itself, but structured like a dungeon, so a bit like City In The Sky but on land)
- A natural overworld setting, like a dark mountain that is thunder themed, but again structured like a dungeon
- A haunted cathedral/church/castle
- An Oil Rig, named "Octorok Oil Rig"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom