• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Kind of Bender Would You Be?

What element or bending technique would you use if you lived in the Avatar world? (This applies to Legend of Korra as well.)

NOTE: I am not asking what you would want to be. I mean, feel free to include that in your description, but I'm specifically asking what would you be. Each bending style has unique mentalities, disciplines, and philosophies that are involved in learning them. If you've payed enough attention to the show, you probably know most of them. If not there's always Avatar Wiki. Feel free to include sub-types, like Lightning, Metalbending, or Bloodbending, but also note their requirements please. I think it would be cool to put some thought into this. :)

As for me...

I initially thought Earthbending, but after scanning over the elements and their descriptions again, I'm a little unsure. The thing is I can identify with traits of all the bendings, even Air (the opposite of Earth). Firebending seems like a close one too, because of its aggression and directness, and that correlates with how I do a lot of things. But Earthbending is stubborn, and that fits me as well. I can identify with Waterbending's fluidness and adaptability as well, so I don't think Fire is a good match for me because I can easily identify with its opposite. Under the right amount of self-control and discipline I can muster the patience and defensive elements of Earthbending, and considering learning a bending would require discipline to train, I'd definitely be able to do that, though I doubt I would be good at learning the Seismic Sense and by extension Metalbending.

Another thing is while I can identify with some traits of the Airbender philosophies, it's definitely the element I have the hardest time associating with, so I think Earth is the closest match for me.

What about you guys?

This is a very interesting question, and to me it is just as difficult to answer as it is for you, but not because I find a little of myself in all the beding styles, but rather because I can't really identify with any of the characteristics a certain style brings with it.

I am not good at making quick decisions or setting my mind free, so I don't think I really fit in air bending.
Therefore, I'm also not that good at "going with the flow of things", and I certainly always need some time to completely adapt to new situations, so waters also isn't my element.
I can be pretty emotional at times, but because I always fear the reactions of my environment, I not only try to always control my emotions, but even swallow many things down instead of letting them out. So I cant really connect to fire that well.
And, last but not least, I am not always that disciplined, though I can be. Therefore, even if it is not a perfect match, I think earth is the element that fits me the most (and also the one I would LIKE to have if I could choose). With earth I would always have some concrete material to work with, and that really suits me. I don't know if I could ever master metal bending though.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I would definitely either be an Airbender or Firebender, not really Earthbending or Waterbending. As Axle mentioned, Earthbending is stubborn, and I can be rather stubborn, but I think moreso I'm able to go with the flow unless something I'm particularly passionate about is involved (like Aang was in the series). I'd definitely not be a Waterbender, as I find Waterbending to be very weak and uncomfortable as far as fighting goes. I would say Fire is the most powerful and fiercest element, which is why I could also see myself as a Firebender. I'm aggressive and sometimes shortsighted.

However, I would say Air more closely identifies with me for a number of reasons. Firstly, more Airbenders are born in Autumn than in any other season, and I was born in October. Secondly, I'm more similar to the Airbenders' style of fighting than the Firebenders'. Although irl I'm more of a strength or power kind of person because of my body type, my ideal skills (if I ever got the inspiration to work out) would be speed, agility, and mild strength, but not brute force alone. My style of fighting would be more of a flashy/showy kind, and Airbending features a lot of cool moves that are effective against enemies.

As far as the philosophy goes, I would definitely say I'm an Airbender. I would love to train myself to be mentally connected with nature and to be more steady (which actually also pertains to Earth). I think Airbenders are the most spiritual and most detached out of all the elements, and I would certainly identify with that.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Airbending would be my preferred ability also. I noticed a lot of beneficial uses for it when Aang was still the Avatar, and those tied in with what I'd utilize it for as well. Unlike the other elemental styles, airbending doesn't rely on harming others; nor does it have as many destructive tendencies. It can be a peaceful breeze, or the raging gusts at the rate of a hurricane's, but I'd never release it to such an extent where my power leveled everything around it. Fire left on its own is insatiable; earth can topple structures for miles around; and large masses of water undammed can flood great distances, taking days to dry up in many instances.

Mostly I'd want airbending as a means of self-levitation and flying (even the airscooter would be great). Sometimes I could even lift objects by creating a gust of wind around an item and directing it to my grasp...though it depends on the weight of the object. While earthbending more telekinesis-based, which is where I'm getting at with that, I wouldn't want to leave behind gaping holes everywhere. So, I'd like to be an airbender most of all.

What an interesting question! Initially I thought I would be a water bender for my "go with the flow" attitude (badum-ching), but after reading all of the descriptions, I think I would say I'm more of an air bender.

I am a very non-confrontational person, but that doesn't make me a pushover. It simply means that I try to pick my battles and hold a peaceful atmosphere at a high priority. Air bending is very peaceful ideology, and those who practice it often harness this desire for peace in an attempt to reach enlightenment. I don't consider myself a very spiritual person, mind you, but I can definitely relate to the mentality of maintaining inner peace and harmony. Additionally, air benders "emphasize intuition and imagination," both of which are traits I cultivate within myself. I will always try to find an alternative solution to a conflict (especially interpersonal ones) other than direct confrontation. Again, this does not make me passive aggressive. Rather, I attempt to find a way to solve conflicts while simultaneously avoiding resentment from either party.

I don't let many things get me in a funk, and am very much a "live and let live" sort of person. I get stressed, just like anyone else, but at the end of the day it's always very easy for me to let go of my mistakes and think of my life as a work in progress. I can relate very strongly to the "spiritual freedom" that is encouraged among the air nomads. I don't take myself too seriously, and will always love a good prank or joke. :)

Aaaaaand of course, there's always the other stuff like being born in Autumn (September, to be precise), being a fan of sweets, etc etc. There's no way I'd ever be considered a vegetarian, however. Cheeseburgers will forever hold a permanent place in my heart~ <3

Last edited:

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Well, I looked at them all and I think the conclusion I've come up with is that the type of bender I'd more than likely be is a Firebender. One reason is that I love warm weather and considering that fire itself is warm I'd be able to handle using it. Secondly I find firebending to be the one with the most simplistic fighting style when compared to the others that usually have fancy maneuvers that you have to do to make them work. I'm a simple person so naturally this would appeal to me. Thirdly, firebenders are known for their aggressive nature and when angered it could get dangerous. Normally I'm not aggressive, but when I do get angry it's best to stay away from me since I'm very scary when I'm in that type of mood.

The other bending arts do have things that do relate to me such as I'm more so a peaceful person like airbenders are, I can be stubborn like earthbenders, and I can "go with the flow" like waterbenders. But as I've said before, firebending seems to me like it would be the element I could bend if I was a bender.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I had to consider carefully, I'm still a bit torn... I don't exactly fit into any of them (suppose that means I'm better as an avatar ;) ), but I'd say the closest one is waterbending. I'm certainly not a " go with the flow" person, but other than that it fits reasonably well. I tend to find ways for turning my opponents' own efforts against themselves. I'd say I'd be skilled at using waterbending for healing. It's something that means something to me. I tend to think of myself as a healer. I like to fix things. My second choice would be airbending, but that's even less of a fit. The others don't match much at all.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Well, I've always thought of myself to identify with waterbending or firebending, more fire bending because of my personality. Even a bunch of my friends say i'd probably be a fire bender. I'm not entirely sure though. I connnect with water benders a lot too, and when I ask my friends which one I am, they can't tell. I wish there was a hybrid bender option. lol

WW IsDa Bombchu

Fez+Bowtie=Time
For me, Waterbending and Earthbending are immediately out of the question, even though Earthbending is my personal favorite. I don't have the discipline to sit for hours listening to the Earth. I also can't immediately just go with a situation, instead having to step back and assess everything, which would rule out Waterbending. At first I thought about Airbending, as I can go along with most pranks and stuff, and can keep a light head in most situations. Then I thought about it some more, and realized that while I can keep a level head at first, if it's something I happen to have the least bit interest in, and the situation progresses far enough, I get really aggressive, tipping me towards Firebending. It would be easier to reach a high skill level with an incentive (lightning/flying) and if I was actually doing some work, not listening/trying to be one with the land/water.

I'm a bit of a hipster, and as such, I'd probably be a less conventional bender. I imagine that I'd be either a Metalbender [a kind of Earthbender] or a Firebender that specializes in Lightning. Earthbending and Firebending are my favorite elements, but I like the other bending elements as well. It's just that I can't see myself as an Airbender or a Waterbender, as they seem to clash with my persona.

So yeah... I guess I'd be an Earthbender [Metalbender] or a Firebender [Lightning]...

Seems I'd probably be an airbender... I don't like fighting people and I'm not aggressive. Rather be smart and fast. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom