• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Kind of Artstyle/graphics for Zelda Wii U?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So art style and resolution are the same thing?
Because from what I'm reading here it seems that you think that if ZU were to have Cel Shaded graphics it somehow wouldn't be HD?

You can argue in favor for the graphics. You could argue which is better. But in the end, the majority prefer HD and the sales have shown it. If Nintendo wants to both please the majority and make the most profit, they should do the obvious and go with a realistic HD look. In the end, cell shading does look HD, whether it is or not.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
While I would agree with most and say I would LIKE to see the tech demo style graphics (although without any spider-based bosses... *shudder*), I would think that we might be in for WW style graphics. I do believe it's been said that the developers do not wish to have the same development time as SS had, so a full-blown HD richly textured game seems unlikely to me. I also believe they have said the tech demo style is just for the tech demo. I think WW style graphics would be easier to pull off and still be able to showcase a Nintendo staple in HD quite beautifully.

The WW style seems more likely than the tech demo version if we follow history as well. The demo for the GameCube that we didn't get in WW ended up being more akin to TP. The Mario 128 tech demo ended up not being for Sunshine, but rather Galaxy. Perhaps (and I'm just theorizing here) that because recent tech demos were for one game later than the next release, we won't see the Wii U Zelda tech demo style until a second Wii U Zelda title. This would mirror the way we had the two Zelda titles on the GameCube and the demo prior to the console's release was actually for the second Zelda title for the system.

YukiHanasaki643

Conquester
I think...I think it should be realistic, but not too realistic, if you know what I mean. If you don't know what I mean...uh, basically what I'm saying is I don't want it to be like TP but I don't want it to be like WW. Um...JUST MAKE SOMETHING NEW, NINTENDO! SOMETHING THAT IS NOT 8-BIT, CARTOONY, OR SO REALISTIC IT'S SCARY. Curse you, ZombieU...I get sick every time I look at that cover...

If I had to choose, I would want Zelda Wii-U to have great HD graphics with a wide variety of colors ranging from whimsical and bright to dark and foreboding. But I don't really care what Zelda Artstyle/graphics as long as they can make it as grand and beautiful as possible. If they go with the Wind Waker style, Twilight Princess style, Skyward Sword style, or even a radically new style that no one has even thought of, I wouldn't mind at all.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
The graphics we saw in the Tech Demo works perfectly fine for me. I loved Twilight Princess graphics, and the tech demo graphics seems even better!

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
I'm really hoping for HD TP style. Anything less is just not making use of the Wii U at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing SS's style return, but it feels a little too light for a series as dark as Zelda.

Okay, MM's art style was the same as OOT, and it didn't need a darker style to show it. Zelda games should have darkness in their stories, but artistically I think a painting best represents Zelda... and that's what the SS style captures.

The same person within Nintendo who has given us the rumors we know of thus far (first dungeon is as large as hyrule field, some dungeons are split into three sections, etc.) said that they're sticking with the SS style. If what he has said is to be trusted, then SS it is. Of course, they're rumors.

I absolutely DO NOT want to see WW's style. I'm not saying I don't like it, I just believe the Wii U is capable of much more, and I don't think that graphical style will push its limits. Either the tech demo or SS would work great for me.

...Besides, since the WW style has become the norm for portable Zelda games, I have little doubt that the 3DS Zelda will be another adventure starring Toon Link.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping Zelda will never have to see realistic graphics ever again, It's good for the sales but It just isn't creative enough to please me, It fits CoD, BF, Uncharted (etc...) quite well, but not Zelda.

What I'm hoping for is similar graphics to Skyward Sword but trying to copy oil painting. That would mean more light effects with the distant places looking a greyish and a bit blurry.
http://globalwholesaleart.com/images/process_WA2300AAG-24.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...y_Leonardo_da_Vinci,_from_C2RMF_retouched.jpg
Those painting are good example of what I have described. It's hard to explain, those greyish-blurry backgrounds are very artificial but makes mona lisa or that garden really stand out, that kind of thing with SS graphics and better lightning would look epic.

With that being said, I do expect 2 Zeldas on Wii U, with at least the latter being the one with graphics more similar to the one on the tech demo and the first to look more like SS.

I want the best graphics the Wii U can offer and I want the most realistic style that Nintendo is willing to go for. Anybody played Asssassin's Creed 3? Yeah, those are pretty much my ideal graphics right there. The detail on people's faces and how real everything looked just makes you get even more immersed in the game, and frankly the graphics are stunning. Why not give it a try on Zelda at least once? I think it would take the series to a whole new level of epic, and it might even drawn new players in who haven't considered the games before. Besides, Skyward Sword was in a more "cartoonish" style, so why not switch it up a bit and go for a more "Twilight Princess" style..except even more realistic than that. Just my opinion..

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I would want the graphics from the demo, and if I can't have that a mix of TP and SS, which coincidentally, = demo graphics (albeit in a slightly roundabout way.) :)

I always thought the Zelda was supposed to look link the more recent installment of the final fantasy series but i wouldn't mind the ones displayed on the tech demo. I just don't want the same art style of SS or WW not because they were bad but because it wouldn't really showcase what the Wii U is capable of graphically, cartoonist graphics don't really benefit from HD

I wonder why you guys think that realistic graphics fit Zelda, seriously, It's always been pretty cartoonish, Twilight Princess included, I mean, look at this guy:
Twilight-Princess-Yeto-and-Yeta.png

Assassin Creed 3 graphics just wouldn't work on Zelda, I believe Nintendo understands this. Not only that, using such graphics would be a way to make the game less unique, which would be disappointing to those who actually give a damn about art, realistic just isn't creative and is out of place, It belongs on AC, FPS games and etc, not on a series that has always used quite cartoonish desings.With that being said, very realistic graphics imply a complete graphical change on the enviroment, monsters and characters to fit It better and look natural, at least to me, that doesn't feel right, not even close, monsters would be unnecesarily "sacarier" and ones such as ChuChu wouldn't be able to exist anymore due to It being too cartoonish and looking ridiculous in realistic graphics.

There is a lot of room to improve Skyward Sword graphics, such as texture quality, more accurate "poly by poly" (modeling quality... I mean, look at those trees or links shirt sleeves at the beggining), more 3d modelling bones (would allow for clothes to move instead of staying still for example), better animation, lightning effects, etc. By the end, a good cartoonish graphic can take as much effort (possibly, even more) as realistic and actually use a lot of Wii U power. The best example of cartoonish at It's best I can give right now is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyazYYev7Nw
It's fan made, yet It's truly amazing. Lot's of detail yet very cartoonish, I'd say that's one of the most creative graphics I have ever seen, It's sad how that gets wasted due to people not considering It realistic enough.

Anyway, this is no debate topic and this post will most likely get ignored, but I just wanted to show that I simply can't comprehend how people can be a fan of the zelda series and yet want It to be less unique just to use Wii U full power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom