• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Kind of Artstyle/graphics for Zelda Wii U?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It really sucks that Nintendo won't be using the same style as we saw in the HD Tech Demo. In fact they're going to use something similar to the painting style of Skyward Sword. In my opinion, that's kind of lazy and I feel like the company won't use the graphical ability to the fullest they can. I want something like Twilight Princess again, not necessarily the same story and gameplay but I want more of the realistic yet science-fiction style. I mean come on, who didn't enjoy some and/or most of TP's scenery?

Where did you hear this?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
For me it depends a lot on what theme they decide to go with. If it's going to be a dark and more mature storyline then they should go with a TP or OoT/MM art style, maybe even a mixture of the two. With not that many warm and bright colors but more of a darker art style too so it fits the game. While if they go with a more lighter storyline then they should use WW or SS art style with bright colors and a lighter tone to the game.

But for the most part Zelda has been a happy series, Sure some games have dark moments but for the most part of those games too it's been a warm environment to play in. So unless the next game changes drastically I'm predicting something along the lines of a OoT art style but more polished and in HD.

I'm really hoping for HD TP style. Anything less is just not making use of the Wii U at all.

They can pick any art style they want, as long as they run it in 1080p then it'll be making use of the Wii U.

I expect a new game graphically similar to SS but with a different control scheme. SS controls worked pretty well but I think Nintendo will feel the need to use the gamepad to avoid criticism of it being a worthless gimmick. So I'd say SS graphics with WW style control, since the gamepad feels similar to the Gamecube controller, becauseo f the second stick. I would love the free camera to make a comeback.

Having said that, that's not really what I want. What I want is a game that blends Wind Waker cel shaded graphics (without it being too cartoony, more like Okami) and controls with a Majora's Mask's "darker" feel. I would love to see something similar in concept to the 3 day cycle and transformation masks come back in Zelda WiiU. If they could also implement longer dungeons, such as those in Twilight Princess, that would be great also. That's what I want. Is it likely? Absolutely not. Nintendo seems to wanter shorter dungeons and doesn't seem to be willing to try something more "alternative" such as Majora's Mask, which was pretty much a disappointment in the sales department compared to the other 3D games. That's a shame. I wish Nintendo would make some experimental Zeldas such as Majora's Mask from time to time. Just give Aonuma freedom to make something new without having to totally adapt to the Zelda formula and it's sure to be good.

Kirino

Tatakae
I'd like an art style similar to the HD Zelda tech demo showcased at E3. It was fairly realistic, without being very bland. It was much more colorful than Twilight Princess, which I think had a pretty decent art style. It certainly wasn't as bad as most people make it out to be. The tech demo was better, and it was much more fantasy-like. It would be a perfect showcase of the Wii U's capabilities, and it just looks great.

I'd probably be fine with Skyward Sword's art style too. The Wii U and HD graphics could really do it justice. I'd rather not have the art style be too cartoony though.

Where did you hear this?
RUMOR: Zelda Wii U to Use Skyward Sword Art Style

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I... really, really loved Skyward Sword's art style. I loved the colors, the expressions, everything.

But I would much prefer that we see an entirely NEW art style for Zelda Wii U. I rather liked the tech demo, actually, like everyone else. I wouldn't mind a more realistic style. I doubt they'll go with that (despite the overwhelmingly positive fan reaction), but hopefully they'll consider something similar. Whatever it is should definitely show off the Wii U's HD capabilities, however. I am looking forward to an HD Zelda game.

I think I'll be happy with anything, though. I've never cared much for graphics, but it's really nice when a game looks great as well as plays great.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Personaly, I would like to see something like the tech demo's graphics as it is something that I am not used to and I would like to see a change. That being said I would not like it to be as dark and gritty as it was in Twilight Princess, I would like it to be somewhat less bland and boring. If they decided to go with something similar to Skyward Sword's art style I would not be overly dissapointed because I loved that, I just would prefer that they give something else a go.

Also just a quick note: Art Style and Graphics are NOT the same thing. Just because a game has a non-realistic art style does not mean that the graphics are bad. Some people don't seem to get that......

Even though the system has a slow clock I would really love them to push the hell out of its limits. I'm hoping for something a little more realistic, this is Nintendos first HD console, don't put it to waste when you have a Zelda game in your release schedule.

if nintendo actually wanted to "appeal" to new players they would make the next game in full HD. that being said that's not exactly how i feel because personally i loved the artstyle of the wind waker. for the next zelda game i would personally like to see something along the lines of ocarina of time or majoras mask cuz those are my two favorites however a bit more updated that way things such as mountains off in the distance don't just look like 2d models in a 3d environment.

Djinn

and Tonic
Honestly in the current generation of consoled I think it is weird for Nintendo to actually not make a HD game. Doing anything in a cell shaded WW or SS style would not only be a step back but it would also come off as probably lazy and uninspired. Especially in an era when every other gaming company is showing off the limits of the hardware through amazing lifelike HD graphics with painstakingly detailed maps and backgrounds. nintendo needs to get with the program and not create a repeat of the mistake in 2000 by having an amazingly detailed and well put together Spaceworld Demo only to roll out Wind Waker which only looked terrible through comparison regardless of the gameplay or people that came on board years after release. The Demo from a year ago created a lot of expectations for what would be coming in the next couple years, I hope nintendo does not do it again by releasing another cell shaded game after displaying a HD demo.

As much as I love the Mario series and I love playing a traditional 2D sidescroller Mario game, I believe Mario WiiU was a poor choice for a release game for the console. Another 2D sidescroller game does not reflect well on a next generation system at all. I hope Nintendo moves on from this and stops trying to be the traditional company by constantly releasing games that could have appeared one or two generations ago easily with little difference in graphics. I certainly hope they do better when it comes time to show off the next Zelda title at E3.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Honestly in the current generation of consoled I think it is weird for Nintendo to actually not make a HD game. Doing anything in a cell shaded WW or SS style would not only be a step back but it would also come off as probably lazy and uninspired. Especially in an era when every other gaming company is showing off the limits of the hardware through amazing lifelike HD graphics with painstakingly detailed maps and backgrounds. nintendo needs to get with the program and not create a repeat of the mistake in 2000 by having an amazingly detailed and well put together Spaceworld Demo only to roll out Wind Waker which only looked terrible through comparison regardless of the gameplay or people that came on board years after release. The Demo from a year ago created a lot of expectations for what would be coming in the next couple years, I hope nintendo does not do it again by releasing another cell shaded game after displaying a HD demo.

So art style and resolution are the same thing?
Because from what I'm reading here it seems that you think that if ZU were to have Cel Shaded graphics it somehow wouldn't be HD?

Djinn

and Tonic
I do equate the two to a strong degree yes. Cell shading even when done well hardly looks any better than a well made comic page or 3D cartoon. The brightly lit colors and lack of any textures on majority of the surfaces really give a low quality for the sake of style vibe. This works on some series, notable ones that are designed to look more cartoonish in nature like a Sonic or Mario game but a Zelda game I would rather not have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom