• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What Kind of Artstyle/graphics for Zelda Wii U?

Hanyou

didn't build that
As the above poster said, why do people demand realistic graphics for Zelda games? The only Zelda game thus far that has even approached realism is Twilight Princess, and that's arguable. You never hear people demanding more realistic graphics for Mario games--why Zelda?

I'd like to see whatever suits the tone of the game. I do hope, though, for bold colors and an anime-influenced look like Ocarina of Time, which probably has my favorite look of all the Zelda titles. A similar style would definitely be welcome. It seems to capture the perfect tone for the series as a whole. Both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (the latter of which had a slightly different look) distinguished themselves with varied environments, which is something else I'd like to see. That particular visual style allows for a good amount of variation. Skyward Sword and The Wind Waker are also particularly beautiful games, so another one in the same vein would be welcome.

They should keep it colorful and varied, and not get caught up in realism. I'm tired of realism, and I certainly don't go to the Zelda series for that. That said, they could absolutely make it work and I wouldn't dismiss a game offhand for its visual style.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I wonder why you guys think that realistic graphics fit Zelda, seriously, It's always been pretty cartoonish, Twilight Princess included, I mean, look at this guy:
Twilight-Princess-Yeto-and-Yeta.png

Because we don't have another word for the OoT/MM/TP Art style. So we call it "realistic".

Last edited:
DarkestLink, I'll try to make myself more clear... I didn't call OoT, MM or TP realistic, by realistic I meant, Assassins Creed 3 kind of graphics like some people wanted. That doesn't fit the series at all, even the closest to realistic we ever got from It (TP) was still quite cartoonish, that probably shows that even Nintendo understand they can't make the game have too much dark atmosphere and look too real.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Because we don't have another word for the OoT/MM/TP Art style. So we can it "realistic".

First, though TP is arguably realistic to an extent, it has a radically different art style than both of those games.

Secondly, what makes them realistic? You can't use that phrase as a catch-all for any non-toon style, which is what you seem to be doing.

Is Super Mario Galaxy realistic?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
First, though TP is arguably realistic to an extent, it has a radically different art style than both of those games.

Twilight Princes's art style is designed to create a sense of dreariness to fit the tone the game was trying to create. Its textures are much to dark and bland to emulate real life, and characters' faces are based on anime. It's not realistic at all.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Honestly, I'd prefer to have another Twilight Princess-style game in terms of art, with a Majora's Mask sort-of feel.
Well, I don't really think they should have the first Zelda on this console be so dark, so I'd say either a more standard Zelda game (such as OoT), or a toon-style game (such as WW), and then release a darker one as the 2nd one for the system. Similar to the way they did it on the N64.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom