• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What It Will Take to Top OOT

There are many gamers that say OOT is the greatest zelda in this topic i will discuss what it will take to top OOt for every fan

1. pacing- in OOT the pacing was were it needed to be not to fast or slow and it progressed the further you got in. Here the thing don't make to fast like twilight princess or to slow like the wind waker use a pace setting that work for all.

2. dungeons- The dungeons in OOt were very memorable dungeons and also used great themes along with music. For dungeons to be topped one must know to progress difficultly per dungeon start off easy and up difficulty per dungeon the great thing about OOT first adult dungeon it didn't hold your hand and say here how to do this make the player think.

3. bosses- I say this once bosses in both wind waker and twilight princess bosses were to easy however, look at the forest temple in OOT. For a first time player phantom ganon is pretty challenging is also perfect for someone starting on a zelda to say this pretty hard and make them think how to defeat bosses with less hints. However on the first boss don't make to hard were people never want to play again use progressive scale like dungeons.

4. places and music- if there is one thing people tell you about OOT its how places like gerudo valley have awesome themes and also how zora's domain has great music. Have memorable places such as these and temple of time use atmosphere to the advantage.

5. Field - this one simple but very important don't have travel slow like wind waker or too empty of field like twilight princess make the field travel have many items and let the game plot not push the player to do this. LET them EXPLORE it simple.

6. Plot- the final piece of the puzzle if you have a main villain stick with him don't do a twilight princess even though its a great zelda game. Don't have a villain thrown in at the last minute give a player reasons why he or she wants to save the land.

To zelda dungeon tell the community what you think it will take to top OOT

don't fix what isn't broken and add to the experience, that's the problem some of these franchises have they don't stick with the formula that made a previous game in the series the best of it, there is a way to top OOT, they just have to use it as a base for another Zelda game, TP almost got that right

Any game that mimics OoT too much is disliked (by some people) for that, and any game that tries to be different probably won't have what OoT did that made it so widely loved. There is really no way to top it for everyone. Besides, there are fans who think that other games, such as TP or MM or others, already did top it, and there are also some who think that OoT never topped ALttP.

I think Skyward Sword will top Ocarina of Time, and I personally think Majora's Mask and Wind Waker topped Ocarina of Time, so its really a matter of opinion. I think if a new Zelda game has a unique take on the series with good character development, lots of side quests, a great main story, non linearity, difficulty, and new ideas it'll top Ocarina, and Skyward Sword seems to have all of that so far.

TheMightyThor

The Thunder God
I think Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are tied with ocarina of time IMO because of great story lines. What would top it would make a zelda game that already has Ocarina of Time features (Time Travel, Keep Hyrule Field the same and more interesting weapons to use).

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I believe the Wind Waker did top OoT. So in my opinion it has already been done (another mission accomplished)! I did not play OoT back in the 90´s but about 5 years ago. After finishing Ocarina of Time I started a file for the mighty Wind Waker and guess what? I did enjoy it a lot more :).

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
There are many gamers that say OOT is the greatest zelda in this topic i will discuss what it will take to top OOt for every fan

I DO think OoT can be topped, after all, as perfect as the execution was, wouldn't it be sad if Nintendo couldn't surpass a game they made 13 years ago?

1. pacing- in OOT the pacing was were it needed to be not to fast or slow and it progressed the further you got in. Here the thing don't make to fast like twilight princess or to slow like the wind waker use a pace setting that work for all.

This is one thing that OoT definitely did right. Striking a balance between how much you spend in a place is something that's hard to pull off, but it was very well done there. The bes part is that it never had a pattern, you started with some short errands and then went straight into the dungeon, then some story scenes, then look for a new area, repeat. But sometimes, there were dungeons were it wasn't expected, which made the world feel richer (for example, the Shadow Temple).

2. dungeons- The dungeons in OOt were very memorable dungeons and also used great themes along with music. For dungeons to be topped one must know to progress difficultly per dungeon start off easy and up difficulty per dungeon the great thing about OOT first adult dungeon it didn't hold your hand and say here how to do this make the player think.

The designs also made for some pretty interesting puzzles. Like the Shadow Temple with the more adventure movie-like traps and elements, or the Forest Temple, which was essentially a mini-boss split in four. The Spirit Temple is probably the one with the most interesting boss entrance (who'd ever thought the door was there, honestly?).

3. bosses- I say this once bosses in both wind waker and twilight princess bosses were to easy however, look at the forest temple in OOT. For a first time player phantom ganon is pretty challenging is also perfect for someone starting on a zelda to say this pretty hard and make them think how to defeat bosses with less hints. However on the first boss don't make to hard were people never want to play again use progressive scale like dungeons.

Allow me to put my own example: Bongo-Bongo. That has to be one of the most original boss fights I've ever seen.

No game designer today would have the guts to make a boss fight that take place in a musical instrument that the boss plays with his giant hands. He even hummed, didn't he? It's so silly, but so intimidating at the same time.

It sounds much more like a boss right out of a Mario game after some thought, doesn't it?

4. places and music- if there is one thing people tell you about OOT its how places like gerudo valley have awesome themes and also how zora's domain has great music. Have memorable places such as these and temple of time use atmosphere to the advantage.

Memorable settings are another thing they should be able to improve upon. In fact, I think Twilight Princess had a few of its own. Like the castle at the end, it felt almost like an Akira Kurosawa movie with all that rain, and the others coming to help. It really was a great way to end a game. Not to mention the tension built when you get to the top, with that yellow sky, and all of the landscape looks like a silhouette.

5. Field - this one simple but very important don't have travel slow like wind waker or too empty of field like twilight princess make the field travel have many items and let the game plot not push the player to do this. LET them EXPLORE it simple.

I actually think OoT's overworld was an example of how not to do it. A Link to the Past, now there you got an overworld. So many secrets, and they were closed to you, until some points. The fact that the plot didn't take you there made it more alluring, actually. The overworld should back its size up with some real secrets, that's what I think.

6. Plot- the final piece of the puzzle if you have a main villain stick with him don't do a twilight princess even though its a great zelda game. Don't have a villain thrown in at the last minute give a player reasons why he or she wants to save the land.

I agree with this. I really think a character you get to know is more interesting that one you just met. I think villains deserve some development of their own, doggone it.

Alot of zelda games seem like rehashes of others.. i say they take away the overworld underworld theme and just do underworld where the world is already in danger and there is a boy in a secret town underground and is meant to be the chosen one! and what they need for a villain is a villain that will last throughout the entire game! not just 4/5! and dont make this villain wimpy! make him have the feelings of gannon in windwaker and the creepiness of zant maybe! and as for princess zelda.. i say she goes missing... not her being captured, and she is leaving certain notes and certain items to help link throughout his journey! and make the land big with tons of side quests and collectibles!

if you have a main villain stick with him don't do a twilight princess even though its a great zelda game. Don't have a villain thrown in at the last minute

I think Nintendo might have thrown Ganon in Twilight Princess because they were afraid fans wouldn't accept the game unless it was like Ocarina of Time (which, at least in part, seemed to be what they were going for)*. It was like they weren't sure Zant was a strong enough character to be the main villain and needed Ganon to support him.

So in addition to sticking with a villain, the villain needs to be able to stand on his/her own instead of needing to reveal themselves, anticlimactically, to be the puppet of some greater evil toward the end of the game.

*On the subject of being like Ocarina or striking out in a new direction, it's fine for a game to borrow some of the best elements from a game like Ocarina of Time, but when a game tries to be Ocarina 2.0, the result is a game like Twilight Princess, which, while not a horrible game, was not superior to Ocarina of Time. For a game to surpass Ocarina, or any other game, it needs to find a balance between remaining true to what made the other games great and being its own unique game.

It didn't take Nintendo long. Majora's Mask topped it a couple years later.

Now, if we're talking popularity (i.e. sales, market appeal), I think the main thing it will need to do is successfully replicate the core game mechanics with Wii Motion Plus and provide content that focuses on those core mechanics first and foremost. In essence, it needs to focus on trying to be the better Zelda game, which is what both LttP and OoT did previously by primarily giving attention to raising the bar for Zelda rather than trying to be overly creative.

Other Zelda games (even Majora's Mask, but especially the games that followed it) have been held back by their focus on novelty mechanics. Wind Waker had sailing, Four Swords/Adventures had connectivity, Minish Cap had size, Twilight Princess had the wolf form, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks had the vehicle overworlds. I think it's clear that most people were not in love with any of these ideas (I have seen very few people mention them as their favorite parts of these games), so one question I think Nintendo needs to ask is if people don't like the novelty features that much, why do they keep putting them in? I worry that the inclusion of flight as a central feature of Skyward Sword, as much as I'm sure it improves on what we saw in Wind Waker and the other alternate transportation games, is going to have the same lukewarm result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom