• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I feel like the issue is that some people wanted a crazy fully orchestrated soundtrack to be playing at all times. And look, that can be fine in a game with smaller levels where you aren't wandering around the same bit of land for hours, but in Breath of the Wild it would be awful. Imagine being in Central Hyrule and just hearing the Hyrule Field theme loops dozens of times. No matter the quality of the music, that'd start grating on me pretty quick.
Well it was fully orchestrated, even used some traditional Japanese instruments, and Western instruments.

But you are right, bombastic themes like we typically heard wouldn't have been thematically appropriate.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Well it was fully orchestrated, even used some traditional Japanese instruments, and Western instruments.

But you are right, bombastic themes like we typically heard wouldn't have been thematically appropriate.

True, that was poor phrasing on my part. Bombastic is definitely a better way to put it.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
So you wouldn't mind the same theme, no matter how good, loop for hours upon hours as you roam Hyrule Field? Even if you like the theme, any piece of music becomes boring to listen to with enough repetition.
hyrule castle already does it lol

edit: and people love hyrule castle's theme and consider it one of the most notable tracks in the game

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
hyrule castle already does it lol

edit: and people love hyrule castle's theme and consider it one of the most notable tracks in the game
Different context, mate, you don't spend hours upon hours at Hyrule Castle, and the theme itself isn't long to begin with and really only has one variation, as the theme changes when you're inside of the Castle near Princess Zelda's study.

Hyrule's Field is much more different. Statistically speaking, you're spending an overwhelming vast majority of your time in the overworld, compared to Hyrule Castle.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
you still spend a ton of time in it, and that isn't broken up with visits to shrines, stables, or other things that aren't really in the game

True, but it is a much smaller area with a singular overriding goal: kill Ganon. Having a theme in such an area fits better than having one in the open world.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
True, but it is a much smaller area with a singular overriding goal: kill Ganon. Having a theme in such an area fits better than having one in the open world.
I don't care how well it fits, how do you not understand that
I would just like it better if it had a regular ol' overworld hyrule field theme playing in hyrule field
even the horseback theme is acceptable tbh, but horseback is slow

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I don't care how well it fits, how do you not understand that
I would just like it better if it had a regular ol' overworld hyrule field theme playing in hyrule field
even the horseback theme is acceptable tbh, but horseback is slow
But all of the music in Zelda is thematic on purpose, mate, which is a hallmark of why it's so memorable. So context of what's happening in the game has to always be taken into account.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm fairly certain if they decided to do traditional melodic music, they wouldn't have one single theme for the entirety of the overworld, it'd be region based

True, but look at how big those regions are. Considering how long you can spend running around just one part of the world, how much time would you spend listening to one theme constantly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom