• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Watch it scrub, Minish Cap is a GBA Zelda game, not GBC. Back off my Oracle games and DX or I'll be forced to defend their honor.

Unpopular opinion: the Link's Awakening remake was a little lame. The OG has always been tied for my favorite Zelda game so I'm definitely biased but the depth of field/diorama type visuals made the game feel a little cheap and I was very disappointed with the music as well as the failureof the "dungeon designer".
the honor of the worst games in the series? (the oracle games)

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
This is why we Bombers have the rule. OoA and OoS are better than LoZ, AoL, = TMC, PH, and ST. Maybe equal to SS but it's hard to compare 2D to 3D. So I state again, no scrubs.

I have a hard time believing anyone can hate the Oracle games but I guess there’s no accounting for taste.

My unpopular opinions?

-Midna is way overrated and, like with most everything in TP, just recycled tropes. In particular, she’s just Tetra, again, only with the main character role instead.

- Realism does not fit the whimsical nature of the series

-Similarly, voice acting clashes with what should be more a storybook aesthetic

-BotW’s ost is very effective and far better than the proposed idea it should have had the same bgm structure as previous games in the series

-the Silent Realms and tears there were far better than the Teilight Realm. The former served as a test to see if you paid attention to the areas you’ve been exploring so much, whereas the latter just needlessly slows everything down to a snails pace for filler

-King of Red Lions is the best companion for being more of an actual supporting character and not bothering you too much, though ideally there should be no partner

-WW had the best enemy variety and ways in which to experiment with them

-MM and SS have the best bosses in the 3D games

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
- Realism does not fit the whimsical nature of the series

Eh, I think TP did well with the realism, giving some beautiful and memorable locations, and overall some of the best atmosphere in the series. I don't think it was "edgy", but just a less colorful artstlye, but I still think it works

though ideally there should be no partner

Personally I think most partners (but not all) add to the atmosphere or feeling of the game. Zelda from Spirit Tracks was really cute and added more charm to Spirit Tracks as a whole, Linebeck's little quips of dialogue when sailing the Great Sea or arguing with Ciela are pretty hilarious and Linebeck as a whole is really enjoyable, Midna has a little nice touch of being in your shadow and having really nice voice clips and sound effects, and The King of Red Lions being your boat to travel on adds to the overall whimsical and charming world of WW. I think companions sometimes add to the atmosphere or feel of the game or give you that "you're not alone" feeling. Though of course there are companions in games that are exceptions to this, and there are games that I have played that have an amazing atmosphere that a companion would bring down the atmosphere (example: The Metroid series. It has a great, eerie atmosphere and a feeling of loneliness in most of the games in which case a companion that always talked would ruin the mood. And some times in Zelda games the companions talking ruins the mood sometimes too, but most of the time I like a partner being there, as long as they're not too annoying or unlikable)

Last edited:
Watch it scrub, Minish Cap is a GBA Zelda game, not GBC. Back off my Oracle games and DX or I'll be forced to defend their honor.

Unpopular opinion: the Link's Awakening remake was a little lame. The OG has always been tied for my favorite Zelda game so I'm definitely biased but the depth of field/diorama type visuals made the game feel a little cheap and I was very disappointed with the music as well as the failureof the "dungeon designer".
Yes I know that. That's why there was a space in between, to denote a completely separate opinion from the first.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yes I know that. That's why there was a space in between, to denote a completely separate opinion from the first.
The dungeons are boring but at least there are kinstones for the times in between them...I'm not buying it but I'll let you off with a warning. Shape up and respect the Capcom games or subrosians will haunt your dreams and the Bombers will pop your birthday balloons.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The Divine Beasts are the best designed dungeons in the series. They're fun to navigate and don't feel as segmented as earlier dungeons. Moving around one of the Divine Beasts feels less like walking through disconnected hallways and more like exploring one big machine god.

Last edited:
This is probably a nostalgia bias but I don't want future Zelda games to include voice acting. Zelda has been a long running series with iconic characters and whenever we play we imagine what the conversations are actually like and we pretty much have the perfect voice actors for them in our heads, and hearing what they actually sound like is kind of disappointing, especially when their as bad as Zelda's English voice actor, and Mipha's (although not an iconic character its still bad). I personally think that it's disappointing that voice acting is going to be the "new standard" for the Zelda series.

Note, I'm not against voice acting in games altogether, but I am in Zelda.

Last edited:
This is probably a nostalgia bias but I don't want future Zelda games to include voice acting. Zelda has been a long running series with iconic characters and whenever we play we imagine what the conversations are actually like and we pretty much have the perfect voice actors for them in our heads, and hearing what they actually sound like is kind of disappointing, especially when their as bad as Zelda's English voice actor, and Mipha's (although not an iconic character its still bad). I personally think that it's disappointing that voice acting is going to be the "new standard" for the Zelda series.

Note, I'm not against voice acting in games altogether, but I am in Zelda.
I wouldn't mind having voice acting for everyone but Link going forward. But I agree that it wasn't done very well in the English version of BotW. If they're gonna do it, they need to do it right.

If they're gonna do it, they need to do it right.

That's just my problem with it, could they ever do it right? Could Zelda ever have a voice actor that would be just as good as the imaginary voices we imagine when playing the games? It looks like Ganondorf is going to be in BOTW2, and what if he has a voice? Will his voice actor be able to do justice to one of gaming's most iconic villains? And I certainly don't think any voice actor could do Link justice. These are some of gaming's most iconic characters and its best if IMO Nintendo just lets us imagine the conversations since in our heads it will always be perfect.

Plus, the voice acting means we can't name Link :( That was such an iconic part of the series.

Last edited:
That's just my problem with it, could they ever do it right? Could Zelda ever have a voice actor that would be just as good as the imaginary voices we imagine when playing the games? It looks like Ganondorf is going to be in BOTW2, and what if he has a voice? Will his voice actor be able to do justice to one of gaming's most iconic villains? And I certainly don't think any voice actor could do Link justice. These are some of gaming's most iconic characters and its best if IMO Nintendo just lets us imagine the conversations.

Plus, the voice acting means we can't name Link :( That was such an iconic part of the series.
Good points. I hadn't thought about the side effect of not being able to rename Link. My career as m'dude would be over lol. I also hadn't thought about Ganondorf actually speaking. I'd like to think it'd be possible to get a great voice actor who'd nail it. But it would, indeed, be a very difficult thing to beat out everybody's voice-related headcanons. I'm gonna wait til BotW 2 comes out to make my final decision on the characters having voices.

As an aside, which Ganondorf do you think has the best voice as hinted at in the games? My fave would be WW Ganondorf, who also happens to be my favorite overall.

WW Ganondorf is also my favorite

He's overall just the most interesting.
Ah, the epitome of enlightenment.

It's a shame Robbie Williams passed. If I recall correctly, he had offered to voice Ganondorf if the need arose. I think he'd have done a bang up job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom