• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your unpopular Zelda opinion?

I suppose this is not a truly unpopular opinion in the big picture, but I don't think that the series as a whole has any truly "bad" games. At worst, I think The Legend of Zelda's weaker titles fall into an average category.

Well excluding the CDI games, I think you are right. Even SS was playable and felt like a decent Nintendo title.

CreeperMaster343

Spirit Tracks Zelda best companion, LinkxNavi FTW
(this is coming from my Spacebattles account, not trying to involve other boards, just clarifying that this is mine incase someone also visits SB and has seen it)
Midna is horrendously overrated and is AT BEST a middle of the range Zelda companion, with Spirit Zelda (though to be perfectly honest I view her a closer to a co-protagonist instead of a traditional companion character, and has a very adorable and satisfying character development and dynamic with Link), The King of Red Lions (Who plays a very excellent foil to Ganondorf and a very well done part of the themes of Wind Waker), and Ezlo (I see him as the absolute funniest Zelda companion, and pulls off the Tsundere part of some Zelda companions the best) being better than her. Reasons for this is that I find that she doesn't play off any other character apart from Link very well, and that she is annoying, and most of her character development is just dumped into one part of the game. Though Midna is better than the Fairies and Fi (Not that i hate any Zelda companion, i like all of them, it is just that the Fairies are kinda dull, and Fi is horribly executed). It probably doesn't help that I apparently now have the unpopular opinion of viewing Twilight Princess as one of the worse Zelda games (I only played it for the first time about a year ago, so i didn't have a nostalgic view of the game going into it, and find that the plot is horribly paced, the characters apart from Midna and The Hero's Shade are all terribly misused or underused, and the "final dungeon" in both the Twilight Palace and Hyrule Castle are just lazy, it also doesn't help that i don't like playing as either Midna in Hyrule Warriors, i find Imp Midna too weak, and Twili Midna too slow)

p.s. i also don't view Linebeck as a companion, and instead a very strong member of the support cast

Also the Spirit Flute is the best Zelda instrument

Last edited:
  1. Twilight Princess is a stunningly gorgeous work of art, visually.
  2. Breath of the Wild has one of the best soundtracks in the series. Anyone who says its music isn't memorable isn't paying enough attention.
  3. Great Bay Temple is seriously underrated. Like, seriously.
  4. A Link to the Past can be unnecessarily obtuse.
  5. The timeline nearly makes sense, but not quite. It still shouldn't be unified.

Re-D3ad

Majora’s Worst Nightmare, Hero of Time
I hate skyward swords link and Zelda design

I don’t like the Zora in Zelda I prefer the deku

my favorite song from majoras mask is deku palace

I’ve never played Zelda 1 and don’t want to either because of the way it looks

I disliked twilight princess for a long time until a month ago

The dungeons in links awakening are mediocre at best

Majora mask has the best dungeons along with Link to the past

Zelda should taken a more realistic path Zelda should have been Nintendo witcher but without nudity or gore
Majora Mask, Twilight Princess Ocarine of time are the best of the franchise and forever will be the best, Zelda become bad after Wind Waker the cartoon type style killed the franchise, BOTW is overrated is not even the hardest Zelda game or the best story many people like that game because its their first Zelda SS is not that bad much better than WW

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I agree with you on BotW. Ive had people say "Yeah, I'm a Zelda fan! I love BotW!" It's the only one they've played. Not to diss BotW, but it's the way a lot of people think of Zelda games when there's much better and more story-oriented games such as OoT and TP. Hopefully BotW2 can bring back some core elements such as being more story-oriented so that people that started with BotW can know what they missed out on.

Zelda should taken a more realistic path Zelda should have been Nintendo witcher but without nudity or gore
Majora Mask, Twilight Princess Ocarine of time are the best of the franchise and forever will be the best, Zelda become bad after Wind Waker the cartoon type style killed the franchise, BOTW is overrated is not even the hardest Zelda game or the best story many people like that game because its their first Zelda SS is not that bad much better than WW

At least in twenty years and beyond these art styles will still look good.

@YoungGanon23 That is a very hot take. Also, some of your information is factually incorrect. Primarily, Twilight Princess came out four years after The Wind Waker, so TWW couldn't have "killed" the franchise. I do agree that Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess are the best looking Zelda games, but I do really like the "toon" artstyle. As much as I think OoT, MM, and TP are the best looking ones, I do have to admit that TWW has aged much, much better than any of them, visually. It's timeless, just like a real cartoon. Breath of the Wild will also, probably, age very well visually.

As to what you said about "Zelda should have been the Witcher of Nintendo, just without nudity or gore"... no. The Legend of Zelda, as a series, predates the books that the Witcher games are based on by six years. Zelda has always been a pioneer, and should always stay that way. That isn't to say there aren't things it can learn from games like The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, etc... but it needs to be its own, original thing. Yes, I like the more realistic artstyle and animation of some of the older Zelda games, but I also wouldn't scrap the impressionistic artstyle used in Breath of the Wild, either. Zelda has always found a happy medium, and that is honestly one of its greatest strengths.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
wind waker style sucks
Not my favorite either. Though, I can't stand those trashy Skyward Sword designs. They're just... disgusting.

My unpopular opinions?
The first two CD-i games have some of the best plots in the series.
A Link Between Worlds shouldn't be canon.
Wind Waker muddied up the entire timeline, unfortunately.
When I first played BOTW, I thought it was just a Minecraft ripoff, albeit a really good one.
A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are way too linear. They're still really good, but the whole "get item to beat one dungeon then use it to access another" formula should've been more like "choose whichever dungeon you want to do first and then use the item you get there to find secrets somewhere else" similar to Megaman.

Zelda games are way too easy.
The series should really be called Legend of Ganon.
People overanalyze very simple, unimportant things in their theories.
The fanbase has an annoying habit of memeing things they don't like such as the Water Temple or Tingle.

Unpopular opinions? Ok, first of all, I really like Zelda 2. It’s the first one I played and I really got into it. I guess I just figured out how the game worked quicker than a lot of people!
Second unpopular opinion: as great a game as LTTP is, it was let down by being too damn easy. Back in the day I beat it in a week, school term time too.
Lastly, the GB and GBC titles don’t get enough love!

Quin

Disaster Master
I think every (canon) zelda game is a great game, even the worst of them.

The only remake/remasters that surpass the original are LA DX and FS anniversary.

TP has the worst art style in the series.

I like PH over ST

Zelda 1 and 2 are very high on my favorite list.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I hate BOTW, and every time I revisit it to give it another chance, its soullessness reinforces itself upon me

no, really, I could go on
today I was playing and I'm about to do divine beast vah ruta and you know there's a lot of exposition and backstory stuff in zora's domain when you get there
I could not bring myself to care about any of it, it has such a fundamental lack of the concept of "show vs tell", the characters become thin caricatures of what stereotypes they're meant to represent. I actively want to skip the cutscenes, not to get back to the gameplay, but because it's such a waste of time.

why, oh why?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom