• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Thought on "Ash's Coma" Theory?

For those who don't know what the theory is I shall explain in in a short synopsis.

In the first episode of the pokemon anime ash is struck by lighting and see what could possibly be a ho oh. One of ho oh's pokedex's entry says something along the lines that whoever sees this pokemon is granted enternal happiness. Now seeing that ash is in the hospital due being struck by lightning is in a coma, the dream he is apparently having is his adventures throughout the coma. Here is the link to the theory http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Ash's_Coma be careful due to the fact this deals with very mature topics in the theory not really meant for little kids...

I believe that there is some truth to the theory I mean other than tv since that pokemon needs to "appeal" to kids why is ash still 10? The theory makes since to me and I wanted to ask what other people thought about it.

Comment below!

Just a silly theory to try to explain an inconsistency that comes from it being a kids show. They keep Ash the same age to appeal to the audience that watches it. There are countless other animated shows where the characters never age as well, it's not an unusual trope in the TV world.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I think this theory is sad. I've heard of it before, even read it once, and it just made me sad. I don't like thinking of it as true, because Ash doesn't deserve a fate like that, waking up to know that his life has been a lie for who-knows-how-long. It's an interesting theory, but I'm too empathetic to consider it canon.

Just a silly theory to try to explain an inconsistency that comes from it being a kids show. They keep Ash the same age to appeal to the audience that watches it. There are countless other animated shows where the characters never age as well, it's not an unusual trope in the TV world.
This is true! But to me it seems like the pokemon audience are in there 16-26 year old range so I feel its a bit useless to be targeting 10 year olds

I think this theory is sad. I've heard of it before, even read it once, and it just made me sad. I don't like thinking of it as true, because Ash doesn't deserve a fate like that, waking up to know that his life has been a lie for who-knows-how-long. It's an interesting theory, but I'm too empathetic to consider it canon.

It is sad but to me it explains why Brock acts the way he does and why all the girls seem not to like ash very much with the exception of dawn

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I think it's not true. Okay, I mean, it could be true within the story itself. But of course the people writing it never had this idea occur to them evem once.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis

This and this...

I think it's not true. Okay, I mean, it could be true within the story itself. But of course the people writing it never had this idea occur to them evem once.
Well I mean we but by now I'm sure the could have heard of the theory by now, but I could be wrong.

Fig

The Altruist
I have read Ash's Coma throughout the time that the theory was first heard of. It's an interesting read nonetheless, but it simply is just to explain the inconsistency that the anime sometimes have from time to time. The problem with this theory is that it is very flawed at times and the theory merely keeps updating so it could either fix its own flaws or keep discussing about certain factors that keep Ash into this coma-like state. Medically speaking, it seems rather unreal as I'm sure someone who has been in a coma for years would have eventually just reached the state that there was nothing else the medical professions could do except pull the plug. We also have to remember that this show originally aired in Japan, so I really don't think that this theory is not that well known globally, but rather national. It is without a shadow of a doubt that in the United States, many fans are and still enraged that Ash Ketchum is still 10 years old despite being around since 1997. The reason why Ash is 10 is because children are the main demographic when it comes to Pokemon. Ash is suppose to to make kids have a chance of linking themselves with someone their age who wants to be to be a Pokemon Master. That's why Ash has been 10 years old all this time.

This. This. And this again.

But just to add: The series never gives us a hint as to how much time has passed, either. Aside from seeing nightfall every now and then, there aren't any seasons, holidays, birthdays, or any other milestones in the series that gives us a clue as to how much time has passed. For all we know, Ash could have been traveling for a measly 6 months, but that's only if you absolutely needed an explanation. In truth, it all goes back to what Seth said—anyone who's grown up watching kid's shows/cartoons can agree. Most ten year olds would probably be turned off and/or creeped out by a 20-something year old Ash doing things that the ten year old Ash does, anyway; I know I would. lol

This. This. And this again.

But just to add: The series never gives us a hint as to how much time has passed, either. Aside from seeing nightfall every now and then, there aren't any seasons, holidays, birthdays, or any other milestones in the series that gives us a clue as to how much time has passed. For all we know, Ash could have been traveling for a measly 6 months, but that's only if you absolutely needed an explanation. In truth, it all goes back to what Seth said—anyone who's grown up watching kid's shows/cartoons can agree. Most ten year olds would probably be turned off and/or creeped out by a 20-something year old Ash doing things that the ten year old Ash does, anyway; I know I would. lol

Ya this is true. Honestly I haven't watched a whole lot of the new pokemons so I wouldn't know that much about how it would imply to them. I just thought it was an interesting theory on how it could maybe fit in and wanted to know people's opinion about it :lol:

I like it. It gives off the very subtle horror of being trapped in one place and not even realizing it. I know its not true since this is just a kid's show and its probably cheaper to draw kids that don't age, or you know, change their clothes but I'm not a popular cartoonist so I wouldn't know

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Obviously false. The writers would never have decided on that.

I like it. It gives off the very subtle horror of being trapped in one place and not even realizing it.
This is partly what I detest about it; it's far too much nightmare-fuel for me. It's become a bit of a pet-hate where fan theories are concerned.

If I actually entertain the idea, a basic rebbutal is that it's too consistent for some kind of coma fantasy. Personally, if we're going with Ash's eternal youth as anything but an accepted plothole I prefer the Ho-Oh's wish granting theory, or simply waving it off as the idea that people age twice as slowly in Pokémon. Having said that, I haven't been followingthe Pokémon anime since the early 2000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom