• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your preferred way to play Twilight Princess, with a traditional controller or Wiimote?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Released at the end of the GameCube's life cycle and as a launch title for the Wii, Twilight Princess is in a unique place as it is the only Zelda game to not only have differing maps between versions, but also a completely different control scheme between the GC and Wii versions as well. While not always accurate, the motion controls of the Wii remote did allow for overall more precision when aiming than the stick controls found on the GC controller did.

Now that there's not only the original versions to talk about, but the remaster that sort of combined the two control schemes (by implementing gyro aiming), which version do you find yourself wanting to play more based on controls? Do you prefer the GC and Wii U versions that use a traditional control scheme, or do you actually prefer to use the motion-aiming and swing to attack controls of the Wii version?

I'm kind of split when it comes to TP. There's a part of me that enjoys the motion aiming and waggle to attack, but there's also times where I just don't want to move while playing and would rather use the pro controller to play.

I got it on GC and loved it. I also got it on Wii and hated it.

It sucks that so many experienced TP with crap controls and a flipped world.

So glad the WiiU version was modelled on the Canon original on the GC. I cannot stand the Wii version so it's GC and WiiU all the way.

I like the that the WiiU gave us gyro and the touch button for instant wolf transformation.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
never played it on wii, I always knew it as a gamecube game, the mirrored world on the wii version is enough of a reason for me to stick to the original, even though I was curious to try out the whole motion aiming

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I've played the Wii and WiiU versions and I can say i just want a normal control but keep the gyro aiming as an option I LOVE gyro aiming. The Wii U version was a joy to play so I dream of a Switch release

MW7

I only played it on Gamecube and Wii U. Wii U is the best control scheme I think. The ability to equip items or view a map on the second screen is perfect for Zelda games. I like motion controls, but don't like them as the only option. For example I really feel like I need to stand up to play Skyward Sword, and standing to play a video game is not something I want to do all the time.

Twilight Princess on the Wii was my first 3D Zelda experience. It was also my first 3D gaming experience, period. The Wiimote setup instantly crippled me because I was being introduced to a new dimension without a way to really know how to manage it. There is no way for you to organically control the camera. The way the game instructed me to control the camera and the way I was convinced you had to orient it, was by switching into first person mode and awkwardly moving that around, and then returning to third person... As it's my first 3D Zelda, I wasn't familiar enough with z-targetting to know to use that to reset the camera, and I was effectively blind for the amounts of it I did play for my early sessions before just putting it down before Goron Mines for well over a year because I was just so overwhelmed. When you're blind, everything is a jumpscare. I was very jumpy playing the Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time later down to road because of my experiences with Twilight Princess.

Traditional controller all the way. The motion controls on the Wii weren't the issue for me and neither are the button mapping (and for some games, the Wiimote is great and I will defend it as viable controller for Smash Bros. forever and ever and ever thank you very much), but the lack of an option to control the camera was just... a sin really. My brain is wired to the flipped overworld of the Wii version, so playing the HD version on Wii U was a bit disorienting for me, but overall it was a better experience because the gameplay felt more organic. As I've grown more accustomed to 3D Zelda gameplay, I have adopted a lot of camera adjusting and twirling and it just feels natural to me to be able to do that in Twilight Princess.

If you don't know me, I complain about camera controls in games a lot. This is critical to my experience.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Traditional controller, definitely. The Wii controls for Twilight Princess were really flimsy and just tacked on. They were in no way innovative and you could tell the game was not designed with motion controls in mind. The game just feels so much better on a proper controller.

Goroganos

My top 3: TP, MM, SS
Wiimote all the way. I think its way more immersive, even if it doesn't mirror your moves like in SS, than just mashing a button (fsr i also like standing when I play Zelda. Kinda feels more immersive, i guess). The aiming just feels natural, and so do shield bashes. Why have gyro when you can have a pointer?
I admit I never tried the GC and Wii U versions, but when the Wii U version came out, I watched a few videos to see some of the changes. Apparently, there is a shortcut button for wolf mode? OK, that's useful. Aaaand the pad IS better for a map and item selection. But I still favor the immersion over that. I can cope with talking to Midna, a minimap and an item selection screen.
About the reverted map, I don't understand why people criticize it so much. I mean, what does it even change, except for screwing you over when you switch from one console to another? Plus, other Zelda games had a reverted map (in master mode, for instance), and I don't think anyone complained about that.
If they ever make a switch remake, I just hope there is a setting to switch the aiming (traditional, gyro and Wiimote style, if that's even possible with the Switch)

Also, seeing adult Link, in HD and close up strike a pose before a spin attack made me laugh.

Last edited:
About the reverted map, I don't understand why people criticize it so much. I mean, what does it even change, except for screwing you over when you switch from one console to another?
You're 100% right. It changes absolutely nothing. The only possible reason anyone would complain about it is if that subverted their expectations, which means they dislike it simply because it's not the map they played first.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Wiimotes, aiming any weapon is a thousand times easier. The rest of the wiimotes controls didn’t really add much to the experience, but I don’t think it detracted from it either.

Also you fools really think GC is canon. I don’t care what map TPHD used, the wii one is right and I’ll go to the grave before I say otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom