• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros What is your preferred controller for Smash Bros.?

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Tbh, for most of my time playing Smash games, I've usually gone for the old reliable GC controller. But for some reason, with Smash Ultimate, I find myself leaning towards using the Switch Pro controller. Something about how snappy the buttons are and how comfortable it is in my hands.

I know the GC is most popular overall, but what controller(s) do you use when playing Smash? GC, Pro, Joy-cons, etc.?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Pro Controller easily.

I can’t stand the GC controller. The dpad and right stick are way too tiny, the face buttons make no sense, the shoulder button feels awful, the triggers are too loose and squishy, and the entire thing feels like cheap plastic.

There's a reason why Nintendo re-release the GC controller alongside new Smash games.

Because Melee fanboys will never shut up about how melee is somehow the messiah of gaming and anything not resembling their cursed entry isn’t worth their time?

Last edited:

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Gamecube is best but I can handle using the joycons when I play it in handheld mode. I also used them when it was docked when I was teaching my niece and nephew how to play it, it gave us more room for me to be further back.

I used the Gamecube controller for Melee and Brawl but stuck with the Wii U Game Pad for Smash 4 and now I use the default joycon grip for Smash Ultimate. I pretty much stick to the default controller for a system except with the Wii because the Wii mote is awful for Smash. Yeah, the Gamecube controller is my favorite for Smash but the Gamepad is also surprisingly good.

I use a Pro Controller and change the controls up to play it like a SNES platformer.

Y - Regular Attack
X - Throw
B - Jump
A - Special
R - Guard/Roll

I disable the Tap Up to Jump thing, the right control stick is used for 'Tilt' attacks and I put the stick sensitivity to Low.

I wonder how many pro-Smash players would have their eyes bleed from reading this.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
As someone without a GameCube adaptor, I use Pro Controller when playing on TV. But if I ever do get an adaptor (which is unlikely) I'll use that instead, because I love the GameCube controller so much.

My thumb hurts really bad dear god what is happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom