• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your opinion on the increasing prices of video games?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
A thread idea brought on by a statement on the topic by the Take-Two CEO, what are your thoughts on the possibility of video game prices increasing?

Personally, I don't see Nintendo games ever following this trend, but given how expensive the latest generation of PS/Xbox consoles is, it's not entirely surprising that the games would increase in cost along with them.

I don't think this is a consumer-friendly move tbh, but I also can't deny that the newer tech warrants the cost, and so do the games along with the consoles as well.

Nowadays, I only care about Nintendo when it comes to AAA games, and AAA games are what are usually costly. Aside from Nintendo and the ocassional other AAA game that piques my interest, I stick to indie games because they are cheaper AND they interest me more.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think it's fine, but should be a case by case basis, depending on the game. Even within Nintendo, sometimes its hard to equate game value between games that are the same price. If Breath of the Wild is a $60 game, how much should Link's Awakening be?

Side note, I remember Majora's Mask for the N64 released at a price point of $79.99 here in the US. Additionally, it required a $14.99 Expansion Pak. Including tax, Majora's Mask was a $100+ game at its release. That was 20+ years ago.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
it's dumb, bad, and I don't like it

nah but really, games for a while now have actually been the cheapest they've ever been, which is why these games have been so set on nickle and diming us w/ microstransactions, DLC, digital deluxe doggin dairy editions, and all that, so the price increase has been expected in that sense too

as long as the trend of these games coming down to something way more affordable after they've been out for a year continues, it doesn't really matter to me

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The logical part of my brain says that increasing the price of games is fine. Video games are one of those rare products that have somehow resisted the ebb and flow of inflation. Video games and video games consoles are somehow cheaper than they were thirty years ago. The downside is that video game publishers—especially the big ones who dominate headlines—now bank on selling millions upon millions of copies just to break even with development costs.

The dumb emotional part of my brain hates it and it's stupid.

Games are becoming more expensive to develop. Raising prices to $70 would be simply returning to the prices of games back during the SNES and N64 games. It was only the Xbox/PS2/Gamecube/Wii that had pretty cheap console games at $50 a piece. I think $70 is fine if it becomes the norm, but I wouldn't pay more than that.

They're also more accessible than ever with companies finding ways to double and triple dip on your spending, they're not earning less money than they did in the 80s and 90s. For a lot of companies, it's not like you're paying the high wages of the developers either. It's workers with base level wage that get hit by burnout (or in the cases of companies like Blizzard, outright let go) and replaced with people earning the exact same wage because "I want this job because games are my passion".

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I understand it. While I'm always against higher prices, from a business perspective it makes sense. It also increases demand for smaller developers making cheaper games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom