• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your least favorite thing about your favorite Zelda game?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Most of us have a that one Zelda game we think is the best for more than one reason. We may love the story or the characters, or think it's the greatest video game of all time. But all games have at least a few things we think could be better. What is your least favorite thing(s) about your favorite Zelda game?

(Credit to @Echolight for the original thread, what is your favorite thing about your least favorite Zelda game)

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Lord knows I love WW, but it’s a bit on the short side, and it can get pretty restrictive for the first couple of hours.

MM has an awful remake that completely blemishes an otherwise nearly perfect game. If we’re talking about the original specifically.... I really can’t think of much. The worst the game does is require you to effectively do the anju and kafei sidequest twice in order to 100% the game, and even that’s more of a nitpick than anything.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
if you had to force me to criticize wind waker (and I can't believe you've done this) I would say the rushed development cycle shows in the second half of the game. Wind Waker did nothing wrong, exactly, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been so much more. Mark Rosewater says "If people like your game, but they don't love it, your game will fail." Wind Waker could have been bolder in its execution, and that way garner more criticism, but also would have garnered a stronger sentiment from its fans.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
I won't lie, I was very disappointed by OoT's linearity. Furthermore, the linearity comes with the addition of not knowing what order to do stuff. I mean, Navi tells you, but... that's really not enough. But when you're consulting a guide, OoT's pretty good. It just sucks that you have to do that.

I hate the missed opportunity in Twilight Princess to have a very immersive castle town with a free camera. It's definitely the largest Castle Town in the series but why did they have to make it a fixed camera angle? If you think about it, there has never been a fullly immersive and explorable Castle Town without a fixed camera angle. That should be a major goal in the next game.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I hate the missed opportunity in Twilight Princess to have a very immersive castle town with a free camera. It's definitely the largest Castle Town in the series but why did they have to make it a fixed camera angle? If you think about it, there has never been a fullly immersive and explorable Castle Town without a fixed camera angle. That should be a major goal in the next game.
While I do agree it's a missed opportunity, I don't really think it's good design to do something just to check off a box. That being said, BOTW2 having a reinvigorated castle town does make sense in the context of the game and would love to see it become a sort of hub to resupply before heading back out on your adventure.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The Gerudo Training Grounds in Ocarina of Time. It feels like a half baked mini-dungeon with rejected concepts that would have been in the other dungeons in the game. By time you have all the items necessary to get all the keys, you're already halfway if not almost done with the game, and the Ice Arrow is practically useless.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
While I do agree it's a missed opportunity, I don't really think it's good design to do something just to check off a box. That being said, BOTW2 having a reinvigorated castle town does make sense in the context of the game and would love to see it become a sort of hub to resupply before heading back out on your adventure.
You should be able to climb the walls of the buildings. If they don't do this I'll be very disappointed.

For other "least favorite" things, well... I like A Link Between Worlds, but I don't like how it's just a rehash of A Link to the Past with Ocarina of Time elements sprinkled in to make it even less unique. But the original villains were pretty cool and I'm glad it wasn't just Ganon again.

Griefs about Link to the Past?

I guess mostly ice physics in the Ice Palace and Ganon's Tower, as well as that one room in Turtle Rock where you have to light a bunch of torches and get through the door before they go out. Those were a massive pain the butt.

I also hated that saving and quitting the game counted as a "life", so those wanting to get a '000' game completion have to beat the whole game in one playthrough. I also think it's dumb that the shovel is only used to get the flute. Thankfully these two things got fixed in the GBA version.

MW7

In a similar thought to AwdryFan1997, I would make a few changes to Ocarina of Time to make it more nonlinear for glitchless runs.

I would remove the boulders from Zora's River - you don't even need explosives in the dungeon Inside Jabu Jabu so I don't know why they thought this was a good idea to block the route.

I would let child Link go all the way to the Spirit Temple as a child - if you remove the gate from the bridge, open the gate for the haunted wasteland, and let child Link walk across the sinking sand normally (I know you can backwalk across in the corner), then you could let players who know the path without the Lens of Truth access the dungeon after the Deku Tree.

I would remove the arrow switches in the Water Temple - this would let it be completed before the bow.

I would allow the Shadow Temple to be accessed immediately after becoming an adult and also let you go back in time immediately - this would let the Shadow Temple be completed much earlier.

With these changes, you could complete the game in hundreds of different orders instead of the smaller number of orders available.

TL The Legend

Likes OoT way more than he should.
Oh boy, there's a lot I don't like about OoT.
But the worst of them is the not-so-user-friendly menu. It's so annoying to have to press START, move over to the screen you want to use, and then select the item. Doing it a couple times isn't so bad, but you have to do it constantly throughout the game. The Water Temple is infamous mostly for this reason, forcing you to constantly switch between the Kokiri and Iron Boots, and other parts that make you switch between equipment, like the Shadow Temple with the Hover Boots, or having to switch to the Hylian Shield to deflect projectiles, then Mirror Shield for...everything else once you have it. (It's the same thing with Child Link, since Hylian Shield can't deflect projectiles as a child and Deku Shield can, well, burn).
On a related note, only having three C-buttons and a lot more than three things you need to put on them is annoying. Slingshot/Bow, Hookshots/Boomerang, the Ocarina, elemental arrows, Bombs and Bombchus, Lens of Truth, Bottles, the items in the Trading Sequences, Megaton Hammer, spells, etc, etc. You need most of the items you can equip to C, and having to switch between them over and over (and sometimes accidentally using the wrong item because you normally have something else in its place--I once wasted my Fairy because the Longshot was normally on that C button) is annoying
*end wallpost*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom