• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your least favorite thing about your favorite Zelda game?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
favorite game was MM. that was an awesome game but it did have some tedious moments. as PancakeSamurai said earlier, the Elegy of Emptiness gimmick got old quickly, especially because I was stuck on that dungeon for a while. also the re-dead quest in the well where you had to bring them all the different items. SUCH. A. PAIN.

I'm a Wind Waker guy, and I can't stand the triforce charts. I know that isn't a very creative answer but it is true, getting the charts was such a hassle.

ToonLink64

lamer gamer
my favorite, LTtP. my least favorite part of it, the vaugueness of the hints. your paying rupees for it, why can't it be a hint

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Twilight Princess. Making Hidden Skills optional was a huge mistake and missed opportunity. When the player is pushed to their limit, like in the Cave of Ordeals, the combat truly shines in TP. But this is rarely necessary. It's rare that enemies are put in a situation where they can counter hidden skills because the combat wasn't built around them. TP took a step forward in combat, but if the enemies had been built around required Hidden Skills, it would have been not steps ahead, but miles.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In TP collecting the tears of light and the final bug fight. They could've easily done without that. If that bug looked less like a loony tunes character and a bit more creepy it might have been better.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The fact that you can't fully explore the Great Sea until after the Forbidden Woods. I didn't realize it during my first playthrough, though that's mostly because I was just young and didn't understand the concept of exploration. But now when I play Wind Waker, it's a little frustrating that you can't explore the open sea after you learn the Wind's Requiem.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Link's Awakening. Finally reaching the end of that game was exciting! The whole game, the developers hadn't been shy about the whole thing being a dream, you knew that you were going to end the dream and destroy the island as you played. It made the whole game a somber and tragic experience. When I finally reached the end and the Wind Fish told me how it was all going to go down, I was sad. The game made me feel.

But then, at the very final moment, when the island faded and Link awoke, my heart soared with Marin as she mounted aloft on seagull's wings! We saw the Wind Fish so we knew that the Wind Fish was real and then we saw Marin, which gives us hope that the island and its inhabitants may not have simply disappeared. And this was only if you completed the game with no deaths, a glorious reward for those who braved Koholint with courage!

Then along came DX. I don't consider them the same game because of this specific change. When you complete the DX version of Link's Awakening, you are treated to a retconing and cheapening of the original game in which Link merely remembers Marin. The way it comes across is that he's reminded of Marin by a seagull in the sky. This changes the entire feel of the game from one of solemn duty to conflicted destruction of a world to joyous revelation that your friends either live on or met a wonderful fate to solemn duty, conflicted destruction of a world, heartbreaking memory of Link's first overt love interest in any game. Not a bad ending at all, tear-jerking in fact. My issue with the DX version is that it robbed me of the hopeful twist in the final moment of the game and replaced it with crushing loss and separation. A truly impactful finale but one that shifted the implications and feel of the original LA 180° which upset me. This unwarranted change is my least favorite thing about my favorite zelda game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
the triforce charts in wind waker, I've gotten very null to it over the years but it definitely did bring that game's pacing to a crawl, also paying tingle and absurd amount of money to decipher it

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Twilight Princess here. City In The Sky is my least favorite part. I don't know what ninty was going for with that. Once again, it's almost as though they had more planned and whatever they had included ended up feeling out of place. The Oocca are just... unnecessary. Forget strange. Why are these a thing at all? Why did they mention that they're like the progenitors of Hyrule? Was this really an inexplicably placed bit of lore ninty was seriously going with?

Most people just ignore it because it's so random and inconceivable. But we end up with a whole dungeon spun off solely from a couple of strange guest characters that only act as warp items. I think in all my countless playthroughs of Twilight Princess I used them once. Other than the weirdly inappropriate letters you receive from them, they have nothing else to do with anything. But yet here they are having a whole dungeon dedicated to them.

Okay so other than that, the Twilight segments are unfortunately tedious busywork. Ninty could have done so much better than to make us repeat a bunch of inane one off scavenger hunts in confined areas. The Lake Hylia one is at least fleshed out, with a boss fight and an on rails shooting section, but it goes on for far too long and is woefully linear and scripted.

The flight up Zora's River is another segment I dislike. I also don't find the rafting minigame fun. I can do it for the piece of heart but it just feels like work to me. I never look forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom