• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Favorite TV Show?

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
The Walking Dead and I also enjoy Comic Book Men but sadly there not going to be shown until next month I think...

S

smileyfaceman

Favorite T.V. Show

whats your favorite T.V. show of all time

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Definitely NCIS. I'm not particularly into crime dramas, but this one is fantastic. I love how the characters are all relatable and realistic, and despite their differences and issues they still work together as a perfect team. Plus, the cases are all really interesting. No matter how many times I re-watch any of the episodes, I never get tired of it.

If we're counting anime, then my favorite is Sword Art Online. While the original light novel is more exciting to me, the anime adaption is still fantastic and beautiful. The soundtrack is amazing, the characters are wonderful (although some could do with some better character development) and the story, while giving the impression of being cliched, still feels fresh and new. It's a fantastic anime.

Kazumi

chagy
My favorite TV show would definitely be Top Gear. Hilarious British people talking about and driving really nice cars and making fun of Mexicans. What more could you ask for in a TV show?

Hanyou

didn't build that
Cowboy Bebop

[video=youtube;huLkQikmSrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLkQikmSrA[/video]

When I first watched this 7-minute scene, from the episode "Ballad of Fallen Angels," Cowboy Bebop became my favorite show. I had seen two or three episodes, but they didn't resonate until I saw this. It's something special, and you won't know until you watch a full episode of Cowboy Bebop--like this one or one of my new favorites, "Waltz for Venus"--why it's so good. It can't be explained; at least, not well. It has to be experienced.

Cowboy Bebop's episodic nature allows its characters to become fully fleshed out for the big confrontations. There's plenty of comedy and action, but the drama resonates because of the spectacular animation and writing. Even the translation and dubbing is utterly flawless, and it might be the only show I've seen where I truly think the voice acting in the dub is superior to the original. Make no mistake, there are plenty of "big" moments in this show, but it's the subtle details that make it as great as it is. Nothing quite feels overdone, and it all feels sincere, but in a blatant contradiction, it's all well-choreographed.

People who have watched and enjoyed the show will, of course, remember the ending. As with the rest of the show, it's a work of grand simplicity, with an easy-to-follow premise. But it's not about plot, it's about the ride. And that's what makes entertainment masterful. Any idiot can come up with good plot points, but it takes real talent to make those plot points assemble into a persuasive and engaging story. Cowboy Bebop, like so many of the stories that matter most to me, is a clear demonstration of how artful presentation can make an old story feel new every time.

The music helps. Listen to "Green Bird," the beautiful melody that plays after Spike falls out the window of the church. Music of all styles colors the best moments of the show with tension, humor, and style, but as often, with an ethereal beauty that's somewhat at odds with the gritty universe the major characters inhabit.

Runner-up: Breaking Bad.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I really like Dexter; vulgar language, naked people, blood and a psychopath killer as the protagonist.. No contest here. ;)

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
It's nearly impossible for me to pick just one. My favourites include Doctor Who, Supernatural, Sherlock, Misfits, and Merlin (may it rest in peace).
Out of these, I think Doctor Who is my most favouritest because it's taught me so much, all the little messages in it just really affect me emotionally, I love the characters, the stories, the cinematography, and all these little things that just give it this little charm that makes it so important to me. So yeah, Doctor Who, I guess.

Jesus... I love too many types of television in too many ways to just choose one single television show. Mind if I go in categories? Course you don't.

Alright, for non animated comedy it's Arrested Development: What is there even that can be said? Nothing (and I mean absolutely nothing) in the history of comedy programming on television even compares to the sheer unbridled genius that is Arrested Development. The wit in this show makes Winston Churchill look like an oxygen deprived baboon fetus. The way every single one of the actors delivers each of their lines in such a seamless and fast paced manner ensures that, provided you are attentive enough, there will be virtually no point in this show where you aren't cracking up. The self-referential humor is so deliciously thick (:right:) throughout, being present in even the names of the characters. I seriously could talk about this show forever... but I won't. Runner up in this category is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: A terrific program that manages to carry itself almost entirely on its characters, who are pretty much the most awful people who have ever existed. Honorable mentions go to Friends, Seinfeld, Scrubs, 30 Rock, and about thirty other awesome shows that I'm too lazy to name.

Moving on to animated comedy (non-children's), we have Futurama: Ah, this show. The stories defy nearly every precedent set in animated comedy history by being incredibly well crafted and memorable. The writers balance drama with humor so perfectly that whenever the episode calls for it you can feel like your emotions have been sucker punched without ever forgetting you're watching a comedy. The jokes are automatic weapon style, as is Groening's motif, and there's rarely a moment without some bit of dry wit or biting satire. The sci-fi setting makes for often hilarious bits of social commentary. The one aspect of this show that really cinches is for me is the characters, though, because really who doesn't love Bender? While the earliest season may not have worked the secondary characters as much, eventually all of the characters were shaped into their own extremely unique and always enjoyable selves. Also, ZAPP BRANNIGAN ('nuff said, really). Runner up in this category goes to American Dad: My personal favorite of all of MacFarlane's stuff (and I am a man who enjoys some MacFarlane), this show is a great example of how to take an old concept and turn it to something positively unique. Roger Smith man. Honorable mentions go to Family Guy, South Park, Bob's Burgers and The Simpsons.

Now, for animated comedy (children's), I choose Adventure Time: Adventure Time. ADVENTURE TIME. Honestly, I feel like I'm going to just sound like a drooling fan boy if I try to do this show justice... It is simultaneously the most random and psychotic thing to ever make me laugh hysterically, and the most touching and depressing thing to ALMOST make me cry like a little baby. The characters are all so lumping excellent... also it's really quotable. The back story of the setting remains mysterious and vague, but whenever we get a look into it (the most prominent being the three part season 4 finale/season 5 premiere) it never disappoints in the department of pure awesomeness. Oh my glob... this show <3. Runner up goes to Regular Show: I honestly like this show almost exactly as much as Adventure Time... because in a lot of ways it's sort of the same show. Just take the absurdity of Adventure Time's characters and age it to its early twenties, then plop it in a realistic environment (that constantly destroys the laws of reality for delectably bizarre reasons) and you've got yourself a Regular Show. Honorable mentions go to Spongebob, Gumball, Billy and Mandy, Ed Edd n Eddy, and soooo many more that I can't even think of right now.

Next, we'll tackle TV dramas, a category I honestly barely touch. Really, there is very little room for debate on what the greatest television drama of all time is in my :eek:nion:. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; Breaking Bad: A goddamn bullet train of intensity wrapped up in some of the most masterful story telling in the history of the medium. The complex characters, the mind-effing plot turns, and the innocence murdering realism are all presented in the finest way possible thanks to the brilliant acting performances and ground-breaking directing. The "protagonist" is undoubtedly my favorite part of this series. Bryan Cranston gives a mind-blowing performance as Walter White, the "hero" of the story. I'm using quotes because we don't really GET a protagonist. We get a human being. A deceitful, desperate, cunning, and often evil human being. Breaking Bad dares to give you a main character that doesn't try to earn your respect, or your love, or even your sympathy. They give you a main character who is effing REAL. Because Breaking Bad isn't in the television business; they're in the empire business (:I). Seriously, I cannot ever praise this show too highly. Watch it NOW. Runner up in this category goes to Twin Peaks: A masterpiece in its own right, this chilling mind rape of a show by the ever terrifying psychopath known as David Lynch is as haunting as it is entertaining. No honorable mentions because I'm lame.

Finally, the anime category. For me, this is a tough choice, but it has to be Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: This anime is a down right triumph of the medium. It excels in its provocative and intellectual approach to the various political and social issues of its futuristic setting, both in a philosophical way and a very concrete one. It takes on complex problems like immigration, existentialism, and DOPE *** CYBER BRAIN CRAP. GITS manages to be undeniably one of the smartest shows ever made while never sacrificing entertainment value. It made me think, and sometimes I like that. Runner up in this category goes to Cowboy Bebop: I would say something here, but Hanyou's post did such a great job that I wouldn't know what else to say. :/ Honorable mentions go to Steins;Gate, Paranoia Agent, Death Note, Eden of the East, and Darker than Black.

Well, time to wrap up this beast of a post. This is sort of the thing I want to tell someone every time I get asked what my favorite show is... bleh, I'm so indecisive.

:I

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
My favorite TV show will always be Firefly, well written, fantastic characters and cast, made by Joss Whedon who's simply a genius. I've met the majority of the cast (everyone except for Gina Torres and Alan Tudyk - but who knows what the future will bring) and a bunch of the guest stars as well. The fandom itself is fantastic, from the online communities to the people at the conventions.

However, my heart is like a TARDIS - much bigger on the inside and it needs to be filled. I need the combination of completed shows that I've loved for years and ongoing shows where there are still things to discover. There is always one or two shows I intensely obsess about for the time being, and a bunch of shows I revisit because they used to be one of those shows I focused so intensely on. It's kinda like making new friends while also paying visits to the ones who've been with you for so long - both matters a lot, but in different ways :)

So while my absolute favorite TV show always will be Firefly - my current obsessions are Doctor Who and Castle :)

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
Criminal minds!!!!

just marvelous. i love it because they map out people and who they are and why they are like that and it's just amazing to me!! i wish i could do that lol..

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The only show I watch on TV now is The Big Bang Theory and Spongebob Squarepants.

My favorite TV show of all time is Jimmy Neutron.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
Spongebob Squarepants is my favorite T.V. Show. I also like other tv shows like, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Family Guy, etc.

Definitely Spongebob is my favorite tv show. I always get really excited to watch it and just follow along the lines with the Spongebob characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom