• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your favorite non-Master Sword blade?

Link is one of the greatest swordsman in fiction, and his trusty Master Sword is one of the most iconic weapons in gaming. But Link doesn’t depend on the Master Sword…in fact, he has a lot of swords, like the Four Sword, the Magic Sword, the Phantom Sword, and not just legendary blades, like the Kokiri Sword, the Ordon Sword, and several versions of the Hero’s Sword. So here’s a question: what’s your favorite non-Master Sword blade?

Skunk

Floof
I like the Great Fairy's Sword. It looks really strange, and is immediately identifiable as a product of its time's design sensibilities(which I like). Having to sacrifice a button for it is annoying, but at least design-wise, I think it's really fun.

Do, uh, the swords in Breath of the Wild count? I really love the great thunderblade.

...I don't think I have a better answer. The other two "non-Master Sword blades" that come to mind are both derivative of the Master Sword and probably could still be arguged to BE the Master Sword in some sense. Those two being the Goddess White Sword from Skyward Sword for its beautiful ivory scheme, and the Golden Sword from A Link to the Past for being the real "gilded" sword. :cool:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I like The Sword of The Sages. It's longer than a man is tall and I love that the whole thing is glowing white. The design of the handle is pretty. Looks very painful to use though as the grip part is ridged. The sages levitate it to impale people rather than hold it themselves and it's clear why.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I've always thought that fierce diety Link's sword is mega cool looking. There's no way it could actually function as anything outside the realm of video games, but it's impressive to look at. I also really like the gilded sword, the quest to unlock it is fun and satisfying, and it looks really sharp in the end.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Well, I can't really pin them down, so I'll give you my top picks and my reasons why. Bear in mind, I tend to view swords more pragmatically in terms of design, and that's just due to me being into real swordsmanship.

Gilded Sword:

1641088360555.png

Now, I love the sword's overall shape. I love the unique guard, and I especially love how narrow that point is, which is my favorite part about this sword. Good for thrusting and getting nice, deep, penetration. In terms of the profile taper, I feel the sword is pretty close to perfect.

If it had a distal taper too, it'd be the perfect blade.

And the handle and pommel aren't too bad, either, though I think it'd look better if the handle was just plain ol' dyed red leather.

But, I have two minor issues.

First, compared to real gilded swords in history, I feel it is a bit... simplistic in design. I'd much prefer if the gilding told a story like real gilded swords in history do, or had an artistic motif going on.

Take Emperor Maximilian's gilded longsword as an example.

Sword of Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I, 1496 : r/pics

The swordsmith for that sword clearly used the gold to tell a story from the hilt to the tip.

Plus, being a gilded sword, you could definitely get away with a gilded guard and pommel and still be in the realm of practical.

The other issue is while I like the overall shape of the guard, I feel it needs to flair outwards a bit more so if Link does bind an opponent's weapon (something you do even in sword & shield or sword & buckler), and it slides down, the guard will catch it better.

Overall, a well designed sword with a few minor tweaks I'd make. The raw sword itself is very much functional.

Ordon Sword:

1641088819074.png

I actually like the sword's overall design. It's a simple, straightforward design that's very much pragmatic.

That said, it's not perfect.

The sword appears to me to be an Oakeshott type XIa, and all swords of that type in Oakeshott's typology are allowed to have a fuller run from the guard all the way to near the tip. Thus, first design change I'd make is to make that fuller more prominent. This should make the sword not only look prettier (because a polished fuller gives the sword a nice luster, especially when oiled and polished), but also lighten the blade.

Swords don't need to be beefy, because they're cut-and-thrust focused weapons, thus, with a sharp and pointy sword, it doesn't take much to cause horrendous wounds with a sharp sword.

Second, either that guard needs to be ground down some, or the quillons need to be a touch longer.

Third, the sword is clearly a one-handed arming sword in terms of blade length, blade typology, and general use, thus, I'd actually change the handle to reflect that, by making it shorter. They seemed to have put a handle for a two handed sword on a sword that's designed to be used in one hand, for... reasons.

And finally, like with many swords in Zelda, I feel they all could use some tapering to make them sharper and pointier, namely, this needs some distal taper, and for European style swords, many of them are lenticular in cross-section, which helps the sword hold a tougher edge. The sword seems to have a hexagonal cross-section, and that actually means it's not going to cut as deep, due to how the edges are ground.

A double edged arming sword with a lenticular cross section, sharpened and tapered can get sharp enough to shave hair, and it's a very tough edge, which is important for bind work when the swords are touching.

Final change I'd personally make, is a copper wire rap instead of red leather. Nothing against leather as it's a fine material, but wire wraps are far far superior in my opinion. They make for my personal favorite handles as they give you a really secure grip. Both wire wraps and a katana's ray skin plus ito wrap make for my favorite handles because of how secure the grip is, you also know instantly, just by feeling, where the edges of the sword are, which helps in edge alignment, one of the fundamentals of cutting.

But, I see nothing wrong with the leather handle, that's just my personal preference.

Overall, there's not a whole lot wrong with it, that's just me taking a good foundation and improving upon it.

Lynel Sword:

1641089827095.png

Surprisingly, this is actually a quite functional design, as it has nothing in common with European or Asian swords, but, it shares everything in common with African konda style swords, which are pretty powerful cutters.

That said, the only change is proportions. Either the blade is ridiculously large, or that handle's really tiny.

The chain knuckle guard is actually pretty historical, as early Polish style sabers had chained knuckle guards before, so I see nothing wrong with this other than proportions.

Eightfold Longblade:

1641090135201.png

Everything about this sword is perfect.

The blade? Perfect for an odachi. Differentially hardened and has the right tapering.

The guard? A straightforward, yet artistically designed tsuba, which you'd expect for a Japanese style sword.

The handle? Again, perfect. It's ovate, and contains ito wrapping, which I said earlier is second to wire wrapping for my preferred handles, ensuring a nice, secure grip. Plus, it's the right length for an odachi.

10/10, flawless in terms of design and practicality.

Fierce Deity's Sword:

1641090500280.png

Oddly enough, such a sword is actually functional.

There is actually a design philosophy that the sword has, which, according to Ilya from That Works and Man at Arms, he said it's constructed like a multi-core Viking sword, but missing the inner core, which ties into the Buddhist and Zen philosophy that the whole world is supported by nothingness.

And considering Fierce Deity Link himself shares so many similarities with actual Fierce Deities from Japanese Buddhism, the sword's design makes sense.

In general use, it seems to be a greatsword optimized for cutting, which is fine, but I feel that handle needs to be a bit longer, and it seems to be too small for the blade.

Surprisingly, I feel it doesn't need a guard, because what's a little hand damage to a god?

So a simple fix in the handle is all this needs, the sword's foundational design is very much functional and optimized for cutting, which is just fine in my book.

Last edited:
The Magic Sword. I'd love to see it come back in a modern game.

2nd is the Seashell Sword.

3rd place is Fierce Deity Sword. Even if it's design is impractical.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
3rd place is Fierce Deity Sword. Even if it's design is impractical.

The design isn't necessarily impractical. The sword they made held together, was made out of the right material, and it cut as well as any other sword that Baltimore Knife & Sword have made.

A sword becomes impractical when it becomes less optimized for what a sword is supposed to do, which is to be a nimble cut and thrust focused weapon. In other words, if you make it too big, so it doesn't cut so much as cause blunt trauma, it's too heavy to be nimble, or inefficient at cutting and thrusting, then the sword design is impractical.

It also depends on the design. For example, there's many ways to make a cut focused sword, such as moving the point of balance more in the blade, making it single edged, making it curved, making it more rigid, and so on.

And there's several ways you can play with blade geometry to make a cut focused weapon. Leaf shaped blades, which, for all intents and purposes, is what the Fierce Deity Sword is, make for excellent cut centric swords because they shift the point of balance a little further away from your hands, which is really what you want in a cut centric sword.

It's the opposite for thrust centric swords, like the rapier, because you now need more control over the point to be accurate in your thrusts, thus, the ideal point of balance for a thrust centric sword is very near your hand, almost right next to the guard.

Don't get me wrong, Zelda's got some impractical swords, but the Fierce Deity Sword is a perfectly functional blade, just looks weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom