• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Favorite Movie of This Year So Far

bunny

birb overlord
The Avengers. I'm not much of a movie person, but this movie is a must.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Wow, so much to choose from. 2012 has been the greatest year for films of my entire life. Out of all the great movies to grace theaters this year, I would have to go with The Dark Knight Rises as my favorite. A stellar performance by Thomas Hardy to rival that of Heath Ledger's Joker, exceptional character drama courtesy of Chris Nolan and some of the greatest acting talent of a generation the likes of Gary Oldman, Michael Cain and Morgan Freeman, not to mention one of the most graceful endings to a series I have ever seen make for an exceptional conclusion to Nolan's awesome and original interpretation of Batman. The Avengers makes for a close runner up, and James Bond Skyfall is right on their heels.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall were the only 2 films I actually enjoyed this year, but I'm more a Batman than a Bond fan, so The Dark Knight Rises overall was my favorite movie this year.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
This year has had some really good movies. Well, the last few months really. I've loved The Dark Knight Rises, Avengers Assemble, Taken 2, The Perks of Being A Wallflower and Argo but ,y favourite movie was easily Skyfall.

I'm a big Bond fan but even if I wasn't, Skyfall would still be better than everything else in my eyes.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Avengers and Brave were both awesome. I want to see Wrech-it Ralph, and I'm really looking forward to The Hobbit, which I will most definitely be seeing at release.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Ugh, obviously this was a huge year for superhero movies- TDKR, Avengers, Amazing Spiderman, all of which I love to bits but I think my personal favorite was TDKR. Looper, Argo, and Perks of Being a Wallflower were also really, really good movies that I loved. I think that overall, TDKR and Looper are tied for my favorite. When they come out, the Hobbit and Les Miserables will probably be added to that list.

Skyfall nabs the cake for me. It was a great year for cinema in my opinion with the likes of The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises but 007 ultimately delivered a clean kill. After several threads I don't want to sound like a broken record but it's hands-down my favorite James Bond movie yet. Here's to another Daniel Craig outing with Sam Mendes as director. Perhaps the film's greatest achievement is portraying everyone's secret agent as vulnerable.

I'd like to note my apparent bias towards James Bond though. I've always considered him a role model of sorts and my boyish ambitions and fascinations remain engraved in my brain and heart to this day.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Winner is, beyond any stretch of doubt, Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom. For the first time in four years a movie managed to not only crack my top ten of all time, but to earn a place tied for the best movie of all time (tied with Christopher Nolan's The Prestige). It's an adorable, modest film with virtually no ambition that succeeds in telling one of the most endearing and sweet love stories in cinema in the most technically proficient way. Filled with gorgeous scenery and cinematography, it's just a wonderfully happy film to watch.

That said, there are close second and thirds - second is Drew Goddard's Cabin in the Woods, perhaps the most original film to release this year, gleeful in its skewering of horror movie tropes while clearly expressing a deep love for them. Third is Sam Mendes' Skyfall, which takes the cake not because it's the best Bond movie (though it is), but because it is beyond a doubt the most gorgeously shot film of the year. The silhouette fight scene in Shanghai, the long shot as the villain first appears and gives a monologue about how to get rid of rats, the haunting glow of the flames on the Scottish plains in the finale, the beautiful flare under ice - it's just filled with visually stunning sequence after visually arresting sequence. Roger Deakins needs an Oscar for Best Cinematography for this film. NEEDS it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom