• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Is Your Favorite Mario Game?

I recently downloaded Super Mario Bros 3 in the 3ds E-shop a week or two ago and was wondering what everyone's favorite Mario game is? I've never owned very many Mario games, so I don't know too much about the series, but I think that Super Mario Galaxy was probably the best Mario game I have played so far. What are your thoughts?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I have three favourite Mario games that I think together completes the Mario experience. While I certainly enjoy other Mario games, there just haven't been any that I feel has taken over the spot that these three games hold for me.

Super Mario Bros 3: Themed maps, a wide selection of power-ups (first Mario game to really do this), the ability to store the unused power-ups for later occasions (I miss that!)

Super Mario World: Relied more on moves than power-ups, introduced Yoshi, a massive world map where you got to replay old levels at any given time, a ton of secrets, and it even played around a bit with depth, like allowing Mario to climb on the other side of the walls

Super Mario 64: First transition into 3D gameplay and it was done so very well, relied very heavily on moves rather than power-ups as the hats really only gave you a special ability for a limited time, several objectives within the same level, giving us more bang for every level, more freedom in choice of levels and objectives, making it possible to skip entire worlds in favor of others if you didn't plan on 100%-ing the game

Asking me to pick a favourite between these three is like asking a parent to pick a favourite child.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I have a clear choice: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. It had a perfect balance between gameplay (especially the fighting system), plot, character development, and humor.

Sheik

:the:
Why, my favorite Mario game is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, which also goes for my favorite game of all time, and I guess my favorite Mario RPG.

I also quite like the other two Paper Mario games, yes, I enjoy all three of the games, from N64 to Wii.

If I had to choose from the platformers, my favorite would probably be Super Mario Galaxy. But to be honest, I haven't played many of the platformers (haven't played World, haven't played Sunshine, haven't played 3D Land or 3D World). I did enjoy Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins or whatever it was called. That game was fun.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
In terms of the main platformer games, either Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 64 is my favorite.

Favorite Mario game in general, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Mario Galaxy, definitely. I thought that game was absolutely astonishing; very original, great design, tight controls and I had a tonne of fun with it. :) I was originally going to discuss a tie between MG and Mario 64, but I think it was just nostalgia speaking because when comparing them, I found Galaxy to be better for me in every way really.

Mario Galaxy, no contest. I would rank it as the greatest video game of all time, just because of the ideas and implementation it had. It managed to meld the 3D feel of Super Mario 64 and the classic elements of the original 2D side-scrolling titles, all while being 100% original in the way it was designed and the style in which it controlled. Whenever someone asks for my top 5 games of all time, Galaxy is always up there for me along with Final Fantasy X and Super Metroid.

Hylian_Josh

Legen -wait for it- DARY!
I'll always love Super Mario for the SNES. But my favorite? Probably either Mario Sunshine or Galaxy 1 and 2.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Easily 3D World for the Wii U.

Well, that's if you're talking like the old style/2D-environment type ones. (Meaning NOT the 3D-adventure style ones like SM64 or Sunshine)

Out of the adventure ones, (like Galaxy or Sunshine), I would have to say it would be a tough choice between the Galaxy games and Sunshine.
Though, I have yet to play Galaxy 2. I have it, just need to find time to play.

I put 3D World in with the others since it plays just like the 2D-environment ones, in terms of how the "worlds" and "levels" work, where as the adventure ones are quite different.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Of the main-series platformers, it's probably Super Mario Galaxy. My most favourite spin-offs (excluding the Super Smash Bros. crossovers) is likely the Mario Kart games since DS. You can tell I haven't put much thought into this. :P

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Most definitely Super Mario 64. So many happy memories as a kid running around in the castle and in the worlds within the paintings. I recognize that it's mostly nostalgia talking, but this is a question about what my favorite game and not which one I think is best (which would probably be the Galaxy games) and for me Mario 64 represents a simpler time, a more carefree time, a time when you didn't need 1080p graphics & a deep story with moral quandaries & questionable protagonists who have to deal with a dark past & lots of death and destruction, all you needed was a short Italian plumber with a red cap running around in a castle trying to save his princess from a fire-breathing turtle (which is still true nowadays but I simply like this version of that tale the best).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom