• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Favorite Dragon Quest Game?

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
Simple thread.

What's your favorite Dragon Quest game, and why?

My favorite Dragon Quest game is Dragon Quest 5: Hand of the Heavenly Bride. It has great music, the same great battle system, being able to have monsters join your party, the story, and the emotion that the game has.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
EASY!! Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

So far this has been the first and only fully 3D Dragon Quest on a major home console. Since then SquareEnix has seemed to prefer handhelds, which since it's DS they've found home on I guess that's alright, but WiiU sure could use another 3D DQ.

I love everything about it. From the characters to the dialog and writing to the aesthetic and environments to the battle system .... *sigh* I love this game. I freaking LOVE Yangus! and his awesome Cockney accent and the way he "an ol' gran'dad" are always at each other LOL! Jessica's pretty cool also, and so is Doulmagus!! Evil Jester Clowns FTW!

DQVIII is a perfect example of how the toon aesthetic lends admirable charm to a game and it fits with the aesthetic of the rest of the series. I ADORE seeing all the usual NPCs in full 3D glory ... hahaha from cutie maids to bunny girls :D

The story is fun and emotional and quite dark and tragic at times. Whips and boomerangs are a great addition to the arsenal. My biggest gripe, however, is the silent protagonist. I bloody hate that and it irritates me to no end. I suppose if I ever do get to play Hand of the Heavenly Bride my choice in best DQ game might change, but since I haven't the Cursed King reigns supreme amongst the Dragon Quest series.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
I have to agree with Castle, Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King is my favorite.

Although I've only played that and Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, but Dragon Quest 8 was much longer, more detailed, and it was on the PS2. Both me and my mother spent long hours leveling up, exploring, and just having fun. Not only is DQ8 my favorite Dragon Quest, it's also my favorite PS2 game.

My favorite Dragon Quest is probably Dragon Quest III for the GBC. When I first got it, I thought, "The characters are all generic, but this might be kinda fun until I can get my hands on a GBA and Golden Sun". "Kinda fun" didn't even begin to describe it. I was instantly blown away with its charm and fun gaming mechanics. The personality test in the beginning was surprisingly insightful, and the story, while stereotypical, was still great. It didn't even matter that most of your characters in the party didn't have stories.

My second favorite is probably VIII. Then V after that. Haven't played the others yet.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
When I first got it, I thought, "The characters are all generic, but this might be kinda fun until I can get my hands on a GBA and Golden Sun". "Kinda fun" didn't even begin to describe it. I was instantly blown away with its charm and fun gaming mechanics.

I haven't played III, but I still have I & II for GBC, and it's true just how remarkably fun such simple games are. They're just so solid. The way the games play is just so tight and show a level of polish that terribly few modern games manage to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom