• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Best/Worst Experience with a Teacher?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
This is a topic that is going to be about any teachers in any grade or at any level of academics.

My personal worst experience was in my eighth grade English class. I had failed an assiment with 64%. My English teacher said that she would give me 1 day to rework the assignment. I worked all night on the assiment to improve it. I handed it and she marked with a 50%. She said no matter what I would of done I could not get more then a 50%. I then made an off handed comment to another student saying if I would have known that I would of put a lot less work into it she then comes over and remarks the paper as a zero.

I'll post my best after a while.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
My best experience with a Teacher was back in my final year. I had to talk about books I read in english during one of my exams. But instead of talking about the books me and the Teacher started to talk about music and what music was cool and why and what singers we both liked. That was a fun way to remember :D

My worst experience was with the Teacher of german class. She was old and traumatized because of WW II and she started to snap at several students and even tossed one out of the classroom by hand. She allowed her emotions to get the worst out of her.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Best:

Curmudgeon - Not even a teacher that I've physically had a class with, yet he teaches me a bunch of life lessons. A+ for Kermit-sensei~

French Teachers: 8th Grade - Present - I've loved my French teachers, and I've had two of them. My teacher an 8th grade retired at the end of that year, and that was the last year they were offering French. Her humor was amazing, and she was arguably one of the best teachers I've ever had. My current French Teacher is a little... lenient. And when I say a little, I mean very. It's at the point where students don't even give her respect anymore. Regardless, she's a pretty fun teacher. I'm not sure how much I'm learning from her, but she's a great person in general.

10th Grade AP United States History - The most energetic teacher I've ever had, he's very passionate about what he teaches. Just... he's a great guy. He makes sure that everything makes sense for us, and he leaves no one behind. tenouttaten

Worst:

9th Grade Honors Geometry - Okay, so not only was I bad at math, but my teacher and I had no relationship with one another. There was hardly any communication. Granted I never requested help from her, but I'm sure she noticed that I was seriously struggling. It eventually felt like I was in her class just to pass the time. It was one of the most vague, uninteresting, and minimal relationships I've had with a teacher before.

7th Grade Advanced Math - Ugh, we were convinced that she was a racist and sexist because she hated all the guys, and she always tormented this one black kid in my class (who's actually a really nice guy). I. Did. Not. Like. Her... At all.

7th Grade Advanced English - SHE GAVE ME LUNCH DETENTION FOR PLAYING PATTY CAKE AT THE END OF CLASS

WHAT THE ABSOLUTE HELL!?!??!?!?!? (kids who play patty cake have swag ok)

Japas

Indigo-Go's Bassist
Worst
In sixth grade I didn't actually read what I needed to for a book report and when I gave a presentation I hardly had information and she called me out and grilled me on it and it was really uncomfortable.

In seventh grade we had a substitute teacher for my Spanish class and I wasn't doing work but talking with my friends. So when the sub came over he asked what we were doing and I said "we were just talking about band camp" and so he responds with "band camp? like becoming a guitar hero?" and then he winked at me.

In eighth grade we had a substitute for science. Backstory: The science teacher allowed me to sit at a seat in the row infront of the seat where I was placed on the seating chart. It was because I had someone using my work to finish her work and I did't know how to assert myself like that to say no. (She also let me sit on the window sill.) So the sub was telling me to sit in the seat that I was assigned to and I caused this big scene and stormed out of the classroom and stepped up on one of the seats and stomped down and then I got yelled at about how I was being "so disrespectful when she has lost a family member". Then, I was really pissed off because I was thinking that I was right in what I was doing because I was allowed to sit there. Looking back to it now, I deserved her yelling at me. I should have accepted what he was telling me and sat where I was placed in the seating chart despite the teacher allowing me to sit other locations. Actually, situations that happen in my high school that resemble this I want to yell at the kids. If I could go back in time I would've smacked myself quite a few times.

Best
In eighth grade my band teacher and I had a conversation. The backstory on this one, is we're not allowed to talk during firedrills. At all. However, me and my friend were having a bit of an argument because he had stepped on my shoes, like the heel, and I tripped a bit. So him and I almost got in a lot of trouble with the vice principal, thankfully we didn't get any detention or suspension but we risked it. So my band teacher and I had a conversation and she had told me something along the lines of "Honestly, you could go into high school right now and you'd be set."

High school, as of sophomore year through the end of high school my teachers are just great in general.

Another one of the band teachers, he handled the drum line/percussion. But I had sent him a message about how I'm now taking a college class along with my regular schooling and he had told me that he always knew I would do well in a college environment and that "in many ways you are mature beyond your years."

A few of my teachers in my high school are like my fathers. So there's that too.

Last edited:

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
Haven't really had many good experiences, apart from my year 11 (Grade 10) music teacher, who took insults and just fired them back all in good humour, and said to someone doing their music tech coursework 'It needs to be more rhythmic in its wubness'. Owned loads of my friends as well, really witty guy.

Worst. Well. My English teacher from Year 8-11 (7th - 10th) was such a dick. Demanded waaaaay to much of everyone, absolute hypocrite as did no work himself, was clearly very knowledgeable but had no idea how to teach it, hated us, blamed everything on everything but himself, including blaming why I got a C at GCSE on paperwork. Yes paperwork. WOW.

And then this year's Mechanics teacher. SO PATRONISING. We're 16-17, we don't need to be told 'Well done, that's great' in incredible sarcasm or lead through everything step by step by slow slow steep step. And then she's a nerd, likes Portal, Assassins Creed and I think Zelda. If she was a good teacher and realised how old we are she would be awesome, alas no. I hate her.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
My personal worst experience was in my eighth grade English class. I had failed an assiment with 64%. My English teacher said that she would give me 1 day to rework the assignment. I worked all night on the assiment to improve it. I handed it and she marked with a 50%. She said no matter what I would of done I could not get more then a 50%. I then made an off handed comment to another student saying if I would have known that I would of put a lot less work into it she then comes over and remarks the paper as a zero.

I just have to say that is the most **** teacher ever :P

My worst was probably just this one time we were supposed to spread out in the room to do this assignment, and we had partners, and this girl I liked had gone out in the hall. I was sitting on the left side of my partner, farther away from the hall. When we finished, I moved over to the right so I could see her out in the hall. And my teacher asked me to move back. I asked why and he said because just move back? I did and then he asked "Why did you even move?" And I looked at the ground and said "I don't know." For about 10 minutes he kept asking me and I kept not answering. Then he took me next door into the empty room, grabbed a piece of paper and pencil and slammed it in front of me and said "You can't come back in until you write down why you moved!" He kept just saying "Oh my gosh! I don't see what's so hard! Why can't you just tell me why you moved!" And even at one point he said "I already know why, but it's unbelievable that you can't just tell me!" And I kept sitting there with my head down. He got sooo pissed off at me :P I never ended up telling him, but we ended up becoming a lot closer, and he became my favorite teacher. And I asked him once a couple years later "Do you remember that one time I wouldn't tell you why I moved?" And he just started cracking up. I said "Why was I being so stupid???"

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
My worst teacher in terms of subject was my Computer Tech teacher in college. He basically said the first day that he assumed we all had experience taking apart a computer, and taught his classes as though we all already knew perfectly well what he was talking about. I tried several times to ask him about our assignments - not because I was struggling to perform them - but rather that so many of them were about following a step by step process, and I really wanted to know what I was supposed to learn from it - and I just never got any proper answer, and whenever I had questions for him when he wasn't present, and e-mailed him, he'd just give me a link as a responce. It was the first time ever that I not only got an E on an exam (the lowest passing grade over here), but even celebrated it.

My worst teacher in a non-subject way was my teacher in elementary who pretty insinuated that it was my own fault that I was being bullied...

As for my best teachers (I have two), there's the history teacher I had in high school, because he managed to make one of my worst subjects into something fun. He'd do all kinds of crazy things, go at the subject in different ways, like having us examine old items and try to figure out what they were used for, studying a bunch of different sources for the same historical event and then put together what we believed happened, based on which sources we concluded had more credible information, etc.

The other was my programming teacher in college. First of all, he really knew his subject and his lectures were always easy to follow. But more than that, it was his dedication and presence. He was more or less always available in his office, so we could always come by with our questions and he'd help (even in the third year, when I had a different teacher and struggled with something that was way out of his field, he did everything he could to help me figure things out). And when he wasn't physically present, not only was he quick to answer our e-mails, he even encouraged all of us to add him on MSN if we ever needed help (and he was available almost constantly). He made programming really, really fun for me. And I really wish he could have been my teacher in my third year as well, because I'm certain that if that had been the case, I'd have understood the material a lot better.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My worst is probably my third grade teacher. I hated her, as did everybody else. She was incredibly strict, to the point that we weren't allowed to even say one word to another student while she's talking or we were out in the hall and missed her lesson. On day, we had a desk clean. My desk was always extremely messy, and I could never find anything in it. Everybody was already done, but I was still barely scraping the outermost part of my desk. So she tipped my desk, and all of my stuff went all over the floor. It was so embarrassing! Ya, I really didn't like her... having her for a whole year was like torture!

My best experience by far is my high school band teacher. I first met her in sixth grade, because my dad's girlfriend was in a band with her. She didn't see me play, though, until my seventh grade band concert, and she came up to me and said she couldn't wait to work with me! In eighth grade, I started in her class, and we grew really really close. Now, she's like a counselor to me on top of being a teacher. She's the one I go to for all my problems, and she listens and gives advice. Hers is the only class I really try to achieve excellence in, and she seems to notice given my 99.5% average throughout 5 years of band class. I've never been so close to a teacher before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom