• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Is Up With Bronies?

Kirino

Tatakae
I felt like this thread had to be made. Can someone please tell me what anyone sees in this show? It honestly just seems like a stupid trend to me.

This isn't a troll thread, by the way.

Last edited:

Clank

Hmm
Not sure, I have watched it before and it's not bad, but I definitely don't see what they seem to see in it...

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
Please refrain from posting if you don't have anything to contribute to the discussion. Not just in this thread, but throughout the rest of the forum as well, thanks.

As a fan of MLP and someone who got her boyfriend into it, there really is nothing deeper to it than it's just a really good show. It has an obsessive fan base, but a lot of franchises do. (Looking at you Doctor Who folks) It is in the same vain of the Power Puff Girls- good childrens TV that extends far further than it's intended demographic.

I highly recommend watching this short video, it makes an interesting argument as to why the Bronie moment is pretty awesome:

[video=youtube_share;Est3UNs-LIk]http://youtu.be/Est3UNs-LIk[/video]

I was browsing through an anime website one day in search for an interesting title. For whatever reason, FiM was on there. I was curious why it was even there, and when I heard that Lauren Faust was responsible for this, I IMMEDIATELY went to watch the episodes. I grew up with her and I wasn't about to give up on her then.

This was quite a whole before the whole popularity of the show, mind you. So a few months passed and I forgot about the whole thing. Then the Internet happened and I, along with many of my friends got sucked into it.

In my opinion it's just another cartoon, and since 80% of the shows I watch are cartoons, I really enjoy it. It has nothing to do with the whole "brony" thing, I'm just a simple kid who like kiddish things.

Now some people....yeah. You probably....don't need me to mention them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I really do not understand the show whatsoever, but these are a couple quotes I gathered from the past couple months:

random youtube user said:
The show is really great
Alex said:
It teaches morals and values!
Deep down, MLP isn't anything stupid. Rather than deliver another crapfest like most modern TV shows, MLP seeks to instill proper behavior among the viewers.

So, don't take it from me, but the show apparently is really great. If you haven't tried it, don't knock it.

Kirino

Tatakae
I get that it teaches moral values and friendship...but that's what all kids shows do, and do you really need ponies to teach you that? I could probably use the same argument to say I like Teletubbies. I guess it's cute, if nothing else. I don't see a problem with watching shows designed for little kids, but I just don't see what's so special about it. The only thing that really annoys me is when people call themselves bronies. The difference between a brony and a normal human enjoying something that makes sense is that bronies are quite aware that what they enjoy is a guilty pleasure. So when they broadcast the fact they enjoy it, they make it an antagonistic and irritating thing to provoke people into attacking them, where they think it's ok to flip the "it's just a TV show everyone has a guilty pleasure" card. Either that, or they do it for attention. If you dig the message that the show sends (albeit a very generic and common sense message), cool. Good for you.. but when you declare yourself a 'brony' it just seems like you're making yourself look like someone who watches a little girl cartoon and has way too much pride in that fact. Of course, there are many people who legitimately really like the show, and those are the kind of people who I would actually like to hear from because maybe they can tell me why they enjoy it. I guess I'm just curious.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I haven't heard yet of anyone who watches it for the moral lessons it teaches.

Friendship is Magic is a well-animated, well-written, fun show, where ponies fight villains from Star Trek. There isn't some deeper psychological basis to it. People like the show, just as some people enjoy watching Star Wars, or Game of Thrones. Like all fanbases, there are extreme bronies, but they should be ignored, just as they should be ignored in other fanbases.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
I get that it teaches moral values and friendship...but that's what all kids shows do, and do you really need ponies to teach you that? I could probably use the same argument to say I like Teletubbies. I guess it's cute, if nothing else. I don't see a problem with watching shows designed for little kids, but I just don't see what's so special about it. ... I guess I'm just curious.
Yes, it does have a good moral outlook, and it is cute (courtesy of Lauren Faust), I can see why people like it, but I don't see why people obsess over it. Then again, I can. Some people like to obsess over stuff and make a fuss to get attention. Or they just plain like the show. There are such things as quiet Bronies, unfortunately you're more likely to run into a loud one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom