• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is the point of getting “High” for “fun”?

Mellow Ezlo

Po-Tay-Toes
It really is not the same as abusing alcohol. I've been a drinker for many years and marijuana does not have the withdraw effects that alcohol can give it's users. And I am pretty sure I have experienced a lot more than most will in their entire lives when it comes to drugs.
Maybe not the same, but weed can still have intense withdrawal effects. Remember that it also differs person to person, perhaps it simply didn't affect you as much as it can affect other people. I quit smoking weed cold turkey on my 16th birthday, and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I spent a good few months after that with the never-ending desire to get more. Telling myself to stay away was hard, it made me get violent, I started hitting things and sometimes people whenever I was craving it because of the withdrawals. They subsided eventually, but they were really intense while they were there. I'll never forget it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

~ Deus' Pug Smuggler ~
ZD Legend
Site Staff
Maybe not the same, but weed can still have intense withdrawal effects. Remember that it also differs person to person, perhaps it simply didn't affect you as much as it can affect other people. I quit smoking weed cold turkey on my 16th birthday, and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I spent a good few months after that with the never-ending desire to get more. Telling myself to stay away was hard, it made me get violent, I started hitting things and sometimes people whenever I was craving it because of the withdrawals. They subsided eventually, but they were really intense while they were there. I'll never forget it.
Dang Ezlo. Yeah I do remember you telling us that you had issues with drugs. When did you start though? If you quit when you were 16 than you started really really young, right? The youngest kid I saw smoking weed was a 13 year old.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

~ Deus' Pug Smuggler ~
ZD Legend
Site Staff
I started when I was 15, older than most of the people I know started.
So within a year you did a lot of stuff in terms of drugs.

Is it true that people can grow a tolerance to Marjuana? I wrote a copy of this on ZU and a dude is saying that this could happen. I guess it might be true. Maybe that is why for some people who use it a lot smoking one joint won't cut it after time.

Last edited:

Is it true that people can grow a tolerance to Marjuana? I wrote a copy of this on ZU and a dude is saying that this could happen. I guess it might be true. Maybe that is why for some people who use it a lot smoking one joint won't cut it after time.

You can grow a tolerance for any chemical substance. It also depends on the kind your smoking, skunk will give you a buzz but that No-Cal **** will hit you pretty hard.

Deus

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion

What Farore's Chosen said is correct. A good example would be coffee. When you start out you might have one or two cups a day, maybe one in the morning and one at lunch. That will keep you going. But after a while you will not feel the effects so much so you end up drinking three cups a day. Before long you are drinking 8 cups a day and its having the same effect as when you just used to have 2.

Emma

Eye See You
Site Staff
I have never used drugs recreationally. There are a few reasons. One is those prescription meds I was being forced to take. They gave me an unpleasent view of drugs in general. For smoking, I was turned off from it long before from hating it when my parents smoked. I often had a hard time breathing around them and they never seemed to care. I hate the mentality that comes with smokers so much of not caring in the slightest how it affects other people, complaining bitterly when told they can't smoke around other people, as if it is somehow infringing on THEIR rights to be denied the right to forcefully expose others to their smoking. It turned me off of smoking. And alcohol I never could get around how it smelled like cat urine.
As I got older and I learned more about them I couldn't see the appeal in them. Especially with deliberately dumbing myself down. I can't understand how that is appealing. And there is the expense. There are cheaper ways to amuse yourself or escape a stressful situation.

I hate the mentality that comes with smokers so much of not caring in the slightest how it affects other people, complaining bitterly when told they can't smoke around other people, as if it is somehow infringing on THEIR rights to be denied the right to forcefully expose others to their smoking. It turned me off of smoking.
This is slightly off topic, but I want to add that while I wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying, not all smokers are like that. I for one always ask wether people mind me smoking and just don't if anyone has a problem with it.

This is slightly off topic, but I want to add that while I wholeheartedly agree with what you're saying, not all smokers are like that. I for one always ask wether people mind me smoking and just don't if anyone has a problem with it.

This is true, I know there are some very inconsiderate people out there, a couple of my own family members included, but all my friends have always been very considerate and have always asked me if its okay, or will move downwind.

Emma

Eye See You
Site Staff
It gets worse. At one point we thought I had asthma. And they didn't alter their smoking habits at all. Still did it just as much, heavily, around me. Even in enclosed spaces like cars. I always had some trouble breathing around that. But as it turns out I never had asthma. The incident that made us think I did was actually just a very severe allergic reaction to mold, that ended up swelling my throat shut. Which is why it looked so much like asthma because externally it looked like very similar symptoms. But after it never happened again, but I ended up having other reactions to mold, it became obvious it was not asthma. But still, we didn't know that then, and they still smoked heavily around me. This is smoking at its worst, where smoking around someone literally can kill them. Any asthma attack can potentially be fatal and tobacco smoke can very easily trigger it. I know it isn't representative of all smokers, but it is how my family was with smoking so it affected my perception of it.

As to how this is about the whole topic, I personally feel how in general drug use is an incredibly selfish action. It's very often done without consideration for the effects on others. The smoke of course, but also with potential harm caused by operating some vehicle under the influence of a mind altering drug, or simply alcohol. Some people have enough self-awareness to be careful about these things. But unfortunately there are far too many people who just don't care and put other people at risk far too often. It's why I'm against full legalization of drugs. By all means we gotta decriminalize, it's not helping anything. But people need to understand that "legalize" would actually make a drug like.... chocolate. And anyone could buy it, no restrictions, no limitations, no age limits, no barriers, no vehicle operating restrictions, nothing. And that's not what we want. People need to stop using the term "legalize" when talking about drugs. Any currently criminalized drugs need to be decriminalized and placed under similar restrictions that tobacco and alcohol currently have.

And... anything that gives off smoke still needs to be banned in public buildings and businesses. Smoking areas need to be clearly marked and set aside away from places people would often be. And in private settings, there needs to be social pressure to disapprove of people carelessly exposing other people without their consent. And I think new criminal penalties might even be called for for exposing young children to cigarette, cigar, and pot smoke. With their smaller lungs, it can be more harmful and for children with asthma, they're more likely to have an attack than older people with larger bodies and larger lungs. Side fact, this same vulnerability means that smaller pets are even more vulnerable to it, and in the case of birds, it's unavoidably lethal. In fact birds are so sensitive to contaminates in the air, they'll even be killed by standard aerosol household items or even the mists from cleaning bottles. My mom killed her bird because she had one of those automated aerosol odor eliminators right next to it, ignoring my warnings about how dangerous it was, it was toxic to the bird and it killed it in a couple months.

What's the point of drinking at a party, playing video games, having sex or eating at a fancy restaurant for fun? If you get pleasure out of it and are able to do it in moderation, there's no problem.

When you get into black-and-white absolutes, things get ignorant. The "all illegal drugs are always bad" crowd is every bit as ill-informed as the "marijuana is totally harmless; get high every day!" crowd.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Drugs cause your brain to do things that are usually associated with pleasure. That's all it is.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Sometimes I feel ****ty, I smoke, and then I feel a bit better. Simple. I acknowledge that it's not the best way to deal with my issues - and this is coming from someone who drinks and smokes both weed and cigarettes. I'm courteous about it, I should point out. And I know it's bad, but sometimes, I just need to let loose after a really horrific week (and I have lots of those). Sometimes a good way to do that is to get high with a small group of trusted friends and play video games. I will honestly say that it helps out my anxiety and eases my mind for a brief period of time. I'm also pretty silly when I'm high which makes my friends laugh and therefore makes me laugh. It's just a good time. That being said, I don't necessarily recommend it if that's not your idea of a good time. I respect that, naturally.

My excuse is that I'm young and stupid and I'm just so tired all the time that self destructive tendencies seem to be the best way out. I swore up and down for years that I'd never smoke a cigarette and I can't even remember when I started. All I know is that sometimes everything sucks and it's a "damn, I need a cigarette" moment. I don't know. This post probably doesn't make sense or answer the question. But yeah. It's just a good time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom