• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Is The Last Video You Viewed?

Gorozoron

wild ride

i knew about nearly everything in this video eye.png
eye-png.70274

I need something to sing ABOUT (don't give me songs, give me something to sing ABOUT):

"The hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live, for me." -- Buffy Summer, BTVS "The gift", season 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one:

And I had to comment on it because this show has been near and dear to my heart for 16 years (and will always be no matter how old I get, once you're in BTVS you're in it for life, there's no going back, no wonder it's a hit TV show, watching it will change your life forever), and I've been wanting to comment on this scene for a long time, and now that I've come across a clip of this scene I had to write some kind of commentary about it.

So here's what I have to say about the scene in the video above:

About what Joyce said. How dare she blame Giles for this? She makes me so angry.

It's not Giles' fault (and Giles is more of a father to Buffy than her biological father ever was, Joyce need to aknowledge that). Joyce shouldn't have said what she said to Buffy, that was wrong of her, and she should have tried to understand that Buffy had slayer duties to fulfill, yet she gave her daughter an ultimatum and threatened her like "if you walk through this door you're not getting back in". And it's not Giles' fault that Buffy was chosen to be the slayer, he had no control over that. Joyce is partly responsible for Buffy leaving. But as a matter of fact, everything that happened was Jenny's fault and the gipsies' fault for the most part. If Jenny had told Buffy and Angel about the curse, had warned them about the curse, none of this would have happened. Jenny has no one to blame for her death than herself.

Also, the stupid gipsies' petty vengeance accomplished nothing except causing more suffering and death to everyone involve (Angel the human soul was unfairly made to suffer for Angelus the demon's crimes, Buffy suffered, Joyce suffered, Giles suffered, Buffy's friends suffered, Jenny died, and some people died at the hands of Angelus). This is a cautionary tale, and the moral of this story is vengeance never leads anywhere good. Vengeance and justice are not the same thing. Justice seeks the good of all parties involved, including the offenders'. Vengeance is not justice, it's about getting back at someone and it never leads anywhere good, it only leads to more suffering and more deaths and this is why so many people in so many civilized countries oppose and abolish the death penalty, because the death penalty is about vengeance, never leads anywhere good, create a cycle of violence and bloodshed in our society, only creates more victims, is a waste of money and ressources (it also costs far more money to execute convicted than keep them in prison for the rest of their lives where they can reform and help other offenders reform), and it's better to have rehabilitation or life without parole.

People need to wake up and realize that vengeance never leads anywhere good, keep that in mind next time you want to get back at someone, think about the horrific consequences and all the suffering and deaths that a cycle of vengeance would cause to everyone involved and maybe even innocent bystanders. This is a freaking cautionary tale is what it is.

I get that Joyce has a hard time coping with the fact that her daughter is the slayer and risks her life every day, but she has a strange way to show her worry and concern for her daughter when she tell her that if she leaves the house she's not allowed back in, also Buffy was like 18, she didn't have a place to stay yet, didn't have a job and had to do a lame waitress job that didn't pay much, she could have died at the hands of the demon who was kidnapping the street kids to feed on their lifeforce, she had no one to talk to (though I'm glad she gave Ann the courage to keep on living and help the street kids in Los Angeles).

I get that Joyce has a hard time coping with the fact that her daughter is the slayer and risks her life every day, but she doesn't get to blame Giles for Buffy being chosen to be the slayer, something he had no control over, and she doesn't get to blame them for the father-daughter relationship they had, if Joyce had chosen a better man to be her children's father this wouldn't have happened and Buffy and Giles would have had a simple friendship instead of a father-daughter relationship too, if she had gotten to know Hank better before marrying him, but she would rather blame Giles and everyone else instead of taking a cold hard look at herself and realize that she only has herself to blame for her choices and mistakes and failures, then she wouldn't feel the need to blame Giles, her daughter and everyone else instead of taking personal responsibility for her choosing to have kids with an irresponsible man like Hank who was never meant to be a father.

Hank didn't deserve the title of father, he was just a mere genitor. "Fathering"/conceiving a child doesn't make one a father. Also, Hank Summers wasn't even enough of a father to be there for his daughter on her birthday. And he didn't love his daughter and his daughter's mother enough to call on the day of Joyce's funerals let alone show up at the funerals. According to Buffy, he was in Spain with his secretary. It was Angel who showed up to comfort her with his presence and supportive words even though he knew they would never work out and they had no future together in terms of romantic relationship.

Giles has an excellent point, he didn’t make Buffy the slayer, he just helped. And she did leave Sunnydale because of her mom, if her mom never said leave she would've went home to cry or something but she couldn’t.

So this was my commentary on this scene and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Take care,

Kat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom