• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is the Biggest Problem in Your Own Theory?

So, I've been a member since back in 09, but unfortunately I've been away from the forums for almost 2 years (stupid real job), and I'm trying to come back. It's easier to start a discussion than to try to catch up on everything already going on, so here's my question.

We all have our pet theories or at least ideas we are fond of, but with any new game release, there will inevitably be new conflicts with various theories. With the release of Skyward Sword, timeline theorists and those who enjoy Zelda lore will surely be scrambling to patch up their theories based on the new evidence. I was going to ask how Skyward Sword in particular was going to affect everyone's personal pet theory (theories), but I realized I am not sure how I would personally answer this, so I'm broadening the question.

In light of current evidence or predicted future evidence from Skyward Sword, what do you see as the most theoretically pressing problem with your current pet theory?

For me, my pet theory was the idea that the original NES titles follow Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass in the timeline, taking place in a new Hyrule after the flood. Since the release of Spirit Tracks, I have been trying to decide whether this theory can still be maintained, but I am not sure that it can. Talk about this problem if you want, but I would rather hear about the other difficulties you are facing in your theories.

my problem is placing AoL and Loz, currently I place them first, but Skyward sword will most likely ruin that

I don't think that SS will affect my "favourite" timeline in any particular way.

-----------------/---WW/PH---ST
------(SS) --- OoT
-----------------\MM---TP---MC---FS/FSA---AlttP/OoX/LA---LoZ/AoL

Anyway, the two main problems on my timeline are:

- The Triforce returning to the SR after TP
- Ganon's revival after OoX

/Blue Window

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't do a whole lot of theories. Instead, I view others' theories and use my own knowledge to draw conclusions on everything in the series. I know all the flaws in all the arguments for timeline theories and know that there's no way to connect any of the games in any order without some sort of contradiction. Sure, I have my own ideas about the timeline, but I don't focus on it too much. The only reason I view and comment on them is to stay sharp on my Zelda knowledge. But, if I were to have a real answer to this question, I'd say the fact that there's no possible way to place the FSS in any shape, form or fashion on the timeline. It's really quite a frustrating thing for timeline theorists, and it irritated me to no end back when I was big on the timeline myself (yes, I used to try to connect all the games until I realized they can't connect and that it's more about the games themselves). So, yeah, I guess that's what I've got.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Placement of the Oracle games, and the finer details of Skyward Sword. If SS doesn't move the way I suspect, I'll be starting from square 1. The Oracle games, despite not actually being in Hyrule, have inconsistencies with nearly every game I could put them after, including the game they initially followed on from in their vague roundabout way.

But then I often question the validity of the Oracle games in the timeline anyway.

I find it surprising that so many people cite the oracles games as there primary difficulty. I've always thought of the oracles games as one of those that could be consistently placed in many different timelines. Oracle of Ages is actually the only Zelda game (other than Skyward Sword of course) that I haven't beaten (I expect to have a chance to do that in the next few months). However, I know about the game ending. I guess the appearance of Ganon could make it hard to place the game, but I always thought that since he was revived, one must assume he has been killed in the game just prior, and there are lots of games where Ganon gets killed. Since I haven't played OoA, I haven't worked very had on placing the oracle games yet. When I do try, I may be on the forums asking you all for advice.

I'm surprised fewer people are mentioning the four sword series.

Also, just curious... Anyone have non-timeline related theories with difficulties.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
For me, my pet theory was the idea that the original NES titles follow Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass in the timeline, taking place in a new Hyrule after the flood. Since the release of Spirit Tracks, I have been trying to decide whether this theory can still be maintained, but I am not sure that it can.
I shared this theory for a while, and I don't see why ST is any problem. There's no Ganon or Triforce in New Hyrule.

I think my biggest theoretical problem with the advent of Skyward Sword is the Oocca. What we know of them from TP doesn't mesh well with what we know of SS no matter how I interpret it. TP says they rose to the sky when the Hylians were born. If the Skyloftians are Hylians, then they were the ones who rose to the sky, with no sign of Oocca.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The placing of FSA. Unless there are multiple ganondorf's it is not really possible. One was not a king but obtained the Trident of power, the other in OOT got the triforce of power and was a king.

I shared this theory for a while, and I don't see why ST is any problem. There's no Ganon or Triforce in New Hyrule.

I think my biggest theoretical problem with the advent of Skyward Sword is the Oocca. What we know of them from TP doesn't mesh well with what we know of SS no matter how I interpret it. TP says they rose to the sky when the Hylians were born. If the Skyloftians are Hylians, then they were the ones who rose to the sky, with no sign of Oocca.

One worry with Spirit Tracks is the technology of trains and steam power does not seem to lead into the original titles very well, but I can't decide if this is really a problem. The other worry is that I was hoping to salvage the AoL backstory by placing it between Windwaker/Phantom Hourglass and LoZ during what I thought would be a post-flood Hyrule a very long time after Wind Waker. Spirit Tracks However portrays new Hyrule being much closer to the society established in Windwaker than you would think a story like that would allow.

Concerning the Oocca, they are actually the first thing I thought of when the name "Skyward Sword" was first revealed. I'm a little rusty on the Oocca backstory, but I wonder how much of a problem SS will make for it. After all, if the Hylians are the Skyloftians, we have already seen that the SS backstory does not say that the humans originated in the sky. They lived in the land below and were sent to the sky by a protective goddess/spirit/whatever.

This raises an interesting point, in the SS backstory we've seen, the skyloftians decend from humans sent into the sky for protection. This means that there was a society in the land below beforehand. This opens a little wiggle room for placing canon events before SS.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
One worry with Spirit Tracks is the technology of trains and steam power does not seem to lead into the original titles very well, but I can't decide if this is really a problem. The other worry is that I was hoping to salvage the AoL backstory by placing it between Windwaker/Phantom Hourglass and LoZ during what I thought would be a post-flood Hyrule a very long time after Wind Waker. Spirit Tracks However portrays new Hyrule being much closer to the society established in Windwaker than you would think a story like that would allow.
My point is that I don't think events that take place in a different geographical location would affect the progression of the Great Sea between WW and LoZ. ST can take place 100 years after WW in new Hyrule while the Sleeping Zelda story can still happen a lot longer than that after WW in a new kingdom on the Great Sea, unconnected to New Hyrule.

This raises an interesting point, in the SS backstory we've seen, the skyloftians decend from humans sent into the sky for protection. This means that there was a society in the land below beforehand. This opens a little wiggle room for placing canon events before SS.
Yes, It's clear now that OoT isn't nearly as close to creation as we thought. This is why Aonuma was reluctant to say SS was first. It's simply a wedge placed in the tiny gap between creation and OoT in order to make it much wider so they can fit more events/games there. With "gods of old", and if they retcon OoT's intent for being the first time the Triforce was touched, it looks like they can put whatever they want in there now.

My point is that I don't think events that take place in a different geographical location would affect the progression of the Great Sea between WW and LoZ. ST can take place 100 years after WW in new Hyrule while the Sleeping Zelda story can still happen a lot longer than that after WW in a new kingdom on the Great Sea, unconnected to New Hyrule.

That's an interesting suggestion that never occurred to me. I think it might actually work, but it does involve a great deal of between game speculation, and I try to avoid that in timeline debates as much as possible. It always leaves room for the objection "why think it happened THAT way?" Since the triforce is at the bottom of the great sea at the end of Windwaker, something like your suggestion would have to be right for the NES titles to come after Spirit Tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom