• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch What is the biggest flaw of Link's Awakening?

Small flaws;
-no d-pad support
-snap animations
-frame rate issues
-underwhelming Dampe content

Biggest personal flaw;
-the artstyle

The graphics are amazing in LA, the texture work is bloody fantastic. But the diorama artstyle robs the game of its soul in my opinion and renders it hollow.

The artstyle is referencing how Link looked in the photos in the original, but I always saw those photos as a representation of Link within the dream, like when you dream of someone you know but they're just that little bit different.

But with the Remake going for a plastic and toy-like artstyle, I feel as if the core surrealism of the original has been replaced by physical objectivity, the Remake looks and feels more like a collection of McDonald's Happy Meal toys that little Timmy was collecting and that there's no deeper reason than that for why Goombas and Yoshi etc are in the game.

It just rendered the experience a little hollow for me.

That's an easy question to answer (was actually going to make a new thread for this) the biggest flaw is that the game is not 3 heart run friendly.

(Warning spoilers etc?)
I did a 3 heart hero mode run and found it difficult to avoid hearts pieces that are forced upon you. So easy enough to avoid the hearts dropped by bosses but you have a bunch of hearts forced, like the one at the Seashell Mansion and Dampe's Shack. Also my understanding is the Rapids Race gifts you a heart piece before a seashell so had to avoid that one. I did not mind so much doing a manual save before opening any suspicious chests but the problem comes when you want to collect a seashell. The Trendy Game for example you cant get the seashell without getting the heart first and I assume the shop is the same way, you cant buy the seashell until you buy the heart piece. In the end I ended up getting three heart pieces and getting just enough seashells for the prize I wanted from the Seashell Mansion but unfortunately it seems to get all 50 shells requires breaking a 3 heart run.

Hmm I suppose the unstable fps. Also their tilt shift blur effect or whatever it's called- it's not used correctly and should be disabled.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I wished they could have had a little more freedom in them to make the game a bit less strict in it's linearity. There were several moments in the game where I wanted to do something, but I was forced to clear a dungeon/do a side quest before that, to spare me some pretty excessive backtracking. There's no warp point near the Eagle Tower, for instance.

EDIT: Okay I'm too dumb for this thread :D

I wished they could have had a little more freedom in them to make the game a bit less strict in it's linearity. There were several moments in the game where I wanted to do something, but I was forced to clear a dungeon/do a side quest before that, to spare me some pretty excessive backtracking. There's no warp point near the Eagle Tower, for instance.

Cept the one next to the front door which doesnt help at all.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
My only major issue was the fact that there wasn’t any substantial reward for the dungeon maker. All you got was 300 rupees for finishing each final challenge, and then another 300 for finishing all of them. They should’ve had SOMETHING else. How about a purple tunic that doubles your attack and defense at the same time? Other than that most of my other problems were just tiny nitpicks, the boomerang not being able to one-shot the final boss comes to mind.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly, I think its biggest flaw is its age. It's a very faithful remake.... perhaps a little too faithful. They really did a wonderful job bringing it to life, but things like enemy AI still feel old. This is especially true of bosses and dungeons. It feels like I'm playing a 15 year old game in a new skin. Don't get me wrong, it's still enjoyable. It's just... really noticeable. It isn't something that can really be helped without doing a complete and total overhaul.

Honestly, I think its biggest flaw is its age. It's a very faithful remake.... perhaps a little too faithful. They really did a wonderful job bringing it to life, but things like enemy AI still feel old. This is especially true of bosses and dungeons. It feels like I'm playing a 15 year old game in a new skin. Don't get me wrong, it's still enjoyable. It's just... really noticeable. It isn't something that can really be helped without doing a complete and total overhaul.

Well good thing it only feels 15 years old to you as opposed to the 26 that it is.

The FPS issue is pretty minor and I think Nintendo will eventually release a performance patch at some point. It seems like the battery drains faster than BoTW.

That was a pretty faithful recreation of Koholint Island and there was only one frame where the phone house east of Mabe Village...go further south and you will see you will need a hookshot whereas in the original you needed the peagus boots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom