• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Link's race?

F

Funtykoon

Geez Louis People!

Hylians are not human!
Gerudos are not Human!
Skeikah are not human!

Humans are human. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

S

skullkidsreveng

I... really don't find this too difficult.

Link is a Hylian. A Hylian is a race. The reason why the Gorons, who are also a race, called link Human was becuase they used a lower-case H which we can thus guess that a lower case H human is a humanoid figure. The Shekieh, Gurudo and Hylians would be humans and the residents of Ordona village would be Humans. A Hyrulean is a person who lives in Hyrule just as a Termanian is a person who lives in Termania.

Chris

It has been awhile...
Are you serious, this guy didn't know this...

He is Hylian, end of story. Though, people get into the idea that he is kokori because he lives in Kokori Forest. That is wrong because he was born a Hylian, but somehow got put into the forest...

To also prove he is not a Kokori, he can turn into an adult, which a Kokiri obviously can't do.

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Geez Louis People!

Hylians are not human!
Gerudos are not Human!
Skeikah are not human!

Humans are human. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

not necessarily true. human is a species. they have all the chracteristics of humans (except for a couple who have magic and they all have pointy ears) so its safe to say they are human. Hylian, Gerudo and Sheikah are just their races just like we have americans, germans, russians etc...

they are humans, they just are different races of humans.

as for what race Link is, he is Hylian. the games have said this dozens of times. the only game i could it being confusing is in OoT when hes raised as a kokiri but later on he is told that he is Hylian.

every other game he lives in Hyrule which makes him Hylian. he looks just like every other Hylian.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Well, I think it's pretty obvious it varies from game to game.

- In LoZ and AoL he is most likely Hylian. We are never told of his roots, but since all people migrated north of Hyrule into a new land, then I guess you can consider him to be from that country, depending in what era of Hyrule's history he was born.
- In ALttP, MC, and FSA he is most likely Hylian. Although we don't know his exact ancestry, he does have an uncle. However, we don't know either of ancestry so they could have come from a distant land.
- In OoT and MM he IS Hylian. He was born of a Hylian woman, though he is raised Kokiri.
- In Wind Waker and PH he is from Outset Island. If you consider The Great Sea part of or a new constituted Hyrule, and take knowledge in the fact that most of the denizens of the Great Sea must have ancestry from Hyrule, then I suppose you can classify him as Hyrulian, but to the best of our knowledge he is nothing more than Outsettian or Great Sea-ese.
- In TP he is from Ordon. Now, you can classify him as Ordonian, but we actually don't know his origins. He lives alone in Ordon with no direct relatives, so he could have a similar background to OoT Link... but it's never mentioned.

And a final note, even though the different Links may all have different roots and homes, and some may be born outside of Hyrule, all Links are apparently linked by blood of the Great Legendary Knights of the original Hyrule. So in some cases, though Link may not be prodominantly Hylian, he always has some Hylian blood in him.

L

Link_IshSexy

Well, I think it's pretty obvious it varies from game to game.

- In LoZ and AoL he is most likely Hylian. We are never told of his roots, but since all people migrated north of Hyrule into a new land, then I guess you can consider him to be from that country, depending in what era of Hyrule's history he was born.
- In ALttP, MC, and FSA he is most likely Hylian. Although we don't know his exact ancestry, he does have an uncle. However, we don't know either of ancestry so they could have come from a distant land.
- In OoT and MM he IS Hylian. He was born of a Hylian woman, though he is raised Kokiri.
- In Wind Waker and PH he is from Outset Island. If you consider The Great Sea part of or a new constituted Hyrule, and take knowledge in the fact that most of the denizens of the Great Sea must have ancestry from Hyrule, then I suppose you can classify him as Hyrulian, but to the best of our knowledge he is nothing more than Outsettian or Great Sea-ese.
- In TP he is from Ordon. Now, you can classify him as Ordonian, but we actually don't know his origins. He lives alone in Ordon with no direct relatives, so he could have a similar background to OoT Link... but it's never mentioned.

And a final note, even though the different Links may all have different roots and homes, and some may be born outside of Hyrule, all Links are apparently linked by blood of the Great Legendary Knights of the original Hyrule. So in some cases, though Link may not be prodominantly Hylian, he always has some Hylian blood in him.

I don't believe he is an Ordonian, actually. Look at his ears, and the rest of his townsfolk. He has pointy ears, while the rest of them have more humanoid, round ears. Is there an Explanation?

Johnny Boy

Doctor JB!
In Oot, the Deku Sprout tells Link about his past as a child.
He says that after a battle, his mother was gravely injured.
She came upon the Kokori Forest and gave Link to the Deku Tree.
Link was raised as a Kokori even though his true roots were hylian.
Link is human, but his race is known as Hylian. I don't really know exactly why he has pointy ears though.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
I don't believe he is an Ordonian, actually. Look at his ears, and the rest of his townsfolk. He has pointy ears, while the rest of them have more humanoid, round ears. Is there an Explanation?
That's a good point. I never noticed that.
It's still not impossible to have Ordonian blood in him, though.

Link is human, but his race is known as Hylian. I don't really know exactly why he has pointy ears though.
Because... all Hylian's have point ears?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
just like Link_IshSexy said, Link is the only one in the town that has pointy ears. also, if you recall, it mentions that Link is an orphan. this means that his parents (who are unknown) could have been (and probably were) Hylians. its kinda like the same thing in OoT. Link was left in the care of the kokiri and he is Hylian. this Link was left in the care of the ordonians when he was a baby and he could quite possibly be Hylian.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
And don't go by Tingle's judgment he's a nut case.
I'm sorry, but this had to be quoted again for truth.

By the way, what race is Tingle? He was introduced in Termina, but he's been around to see the Great Sea, but he's even been around early enough to see the Four Swords Adventures in Hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom