• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Happiness?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Something that struck me in the behind yesterday was that I don't know what true happiness is. How do you define happiness, and can it be universal? Can everyone be happy?

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
To me, yes. Everyone can be happy. In my honesty, I really dislike someone being really really sad, so I'll try my best to make them smile; so that they can have their own happiness to enjoy with others. Everyone deserves to be happy.

Nicole

luke is my wife
Everyone can be happy, but only if they make themselves happy. One cannot rely on others as a source of joy. You have to go out and earn happiness, not wait for it to come to you because then it never will. Plenty of people don't realize this, and that's why they will never be happy.

i googled it said:
hap·pi·ness, noun.
state of well-being characterized by emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy.

This is what happiness is. Rather vague, isn't it? That's because there's no one thing that will make everyone happy. What makes me happy (winning a basketball game, getting a good grade, petting my dogs) won't make everyone happy (not into sports, doesn't trade their soul to Satan in exchange for a good grade, allergic/afraid of dogs) and that's okay. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and that's to be expected. Therefore, my personal definition of happiness is being satisfied with one's life and accomplishments. Others' perceptions of your life and actions do not determine your happiness in this case. Happiness is subjective and it's determined only by you.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I always separate "happiness" from being "happy". The former I like to thing is long term while the other short term, thus one can be happy but they may not have gained happiness.

Happiness is an emotion more than anything, like every emotion, it can change and go, it's not something that's permanent. It's not something that you can simply grasp and hold on to. I think happiness is a mental state of "euphoria" which can give you that positive state of mind. It is not something that should be searched for as it will be something that you mentally come to terms with.

All in all, I view happiness as a longer term emotion than being happy, your emotions may change from time to time -- sometimes you may not feel happy, but for the most part you are at that point in life were you are mentally on a level of positivity - happiness.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Happiness is whatever an individual chooses it to be. But happiness is not a universal thing; what elates me may disturb another, after all.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Defining happiness is like defining a sound. Or a taste. Sure, there are words, and it can be defined, but in the end, its something you feel. The best thing to do is not worry about WHAT its supposed to feel like or how to attain it, but to merely enjoy it while it is being experienced. Think about this stuff too much and ya start getting cynical and questioning stuff that should just be.

Trust me.

MW7

I'll just throw in some things that correlate with happiness. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happiness_economics and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_psychology To summarize these findings some of the determinants of happiness are having fulfilling relationships, being employed, having your needs met, being healthy, and being married among other things. What I found interesting was that having children tends to even out for many people, but the increased stress earlier in life leads to more enjoyment later on so it's kind of like an investment.

Last edited:

Deku

...But I ain't no scrub.
Happiness is a choice. You are in control of your life and your emotions. Being yourself - and truly feeling free with being yourself - is the best way to achieve this. Be impeccable with your word, don't take anything personally, never make assumptions, and always do your best. Above all, realize that you are a perfect human being just the way you are. Once you believe that, you're free.

gannondorf

Dark Lord Gannondorf
Happiness...

I have thought about this and have concluded that it can only truly come, once the goals and objects that I have set out for myself are being fulfilled and are fulfilled.

for me, I see it this way.

The struggle, the challenge the fight, I love it it.

coupled with this, is the knowledge that there is always the next level to be reached,that while impossible to chase and beat every level of power,knowledge and skill, there is always that next level.

logically, one could never be content with what they have, if there is always high levels going out into infinitey.

some would be scared,some would give up, I take it as a personal challenge.

and for all the power in the world, it is merely a means to an end, to fulfill a greater purpose.

While Challenge in and of itself is fun, also being able to see my dreams and ablations make progress until they reach completion, to be able to progress along to being able to make great change in the world to actually completing said goal, is another part of happiness for me.

I know were my happiness lies and it goes onto great life battles and self improvement, with the goal of beating infinitey,however futile,chasing it out to what might be considered into the skills,powers and abilities of a god.

really now, I don't understand how anyone could ever be truly content with what they have and staying the same.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
143-charlie-brown-happiness-is-anyone-and-anything-that-s-loved-by.jpg

Simple, but effective. Happiness can be anything you want it to be, and its definition differs from person to person. Anyone can achieve it. It's your decision to see the beauty in your own life.

Fig

The Altruist
For me right now, happiness is when your forum wife becomes your IRL girlfriend despite that you have to wait for 3 years to visit her yet feels so much closer to pure bliss and true love!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom