• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Beyond Hyrule?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This is probably one of the most pondered question and one that will probably will never be answered but what is beyond Hyrule or is there just one land?

In game Hyrule on scale is quite small so it couldn't be a whole world or even a country so i guess we can just say that in the Zelda world Hyrule is about 5x bigger but this still isn't really that big so there must be more beyond Hyrule. Well in fact there have been other worlds in Zelda other than Hyrule such as Termina, Koholint Island, Labrynna, Holodrum and the ocean in Phantom Hourglass but these lands are all considered to be connected with parallel worlds or in an other sense a dream world.

The only confirmed land apart from Hyrule was the new Hyrule in Spirit Tracks as Link and Tetra from WW find this new land so we do know that there is more beyond Hyrule but is that just empty land or lonely seas or is there something more maybe other provinces, other tribes or a whole new Kingdom.

Holodrum and Larynna are two different countries in the same world, granted they've only appeared in the Downfall timeline, but they still exist.

As for your other question about other lands... that's a good one. Not sure...

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I too have asked this and i posted a thread w hile back referencing to whats outside of Hyrule.

It's absurd to believe that Hyrule is the only land. There must be other Kingdoms outside of those giant boulders that block you from exploring the boundaries of Hyrule!

I suggested a game where there is a war between Hyrule and a neighboring Kingdom of some sort where you must work for the King to maybe do some spy missions on the neighboring Kingdom... Maybe you find out that that Kingdom's ruler is possessed by some evil dude and that''s why there's been no problem w the two kingdoms before? idk. I feel like Nintendo could utilize this very well

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i still myself want to believe that termina is another country just at the otherside of the lost woods,so its a pretty large forest

and yes yes,i know its confirmed to be some dimension,but let me have an imagination

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I too have asked this and i posted a thread w hile back referencing to whats outside of Hyrule.

It's absurd to believe that Hyrule is the only land. There must be other Kingdoms outside of those giant boulders that block you from exploring the boundaries of Hyrule!

I suggested a game where there is a war between Hyrule and a neighboring Kingdom of some sort where you must work for the King to maybe do some spy missions on the neighboring Kingdom... Maybe you find out that that Kingdom's ruler is possessed by some evil dude and that''s why there's been no problem w the two kingdoms before? idk. I feel like Nintendo could utilize this very well

That's a great idea and it should be done!

The fact that Hyrule could just be one insignificant spot on the world itself could leave Nintendo to come up with a lot more creative storyline and games.

Hyrule is an allegory for a land prior to the Neolithic revolution. It's logical to assume there are other lands surrounding it in the same world which are unseen in most titles due to the primitive technology. The only installment which is a particular head scratcher is The Wind Waker as The Great Sea appears to be the entirety of all there is. I realize this was a move due to hardware restraints and crafting a condensed experience in a world scaled to traditional franchise size but it almost excludes the exterior entirely.

r2d93 said:
I suggested a game where there is a war between Hyrule and a neighboring Kingdom of some sort where you must work for the King to maybe do some spy missions on the neighboring Kingdom

Overall I'd just like to know more about Hyrulian politics. We don't necessarily need a war to accomplish this. Your point does raise a desire I've held for awhile, however, and that is an explanation of the Sealing War. Perhaps Nintendo could incorporate one more Link prior to ALttP in the conflict Ganon triumphs over. This would finally be the chance to see the legislature of the land at work and the darker twist many have been rooting for-Link's untimely demise.

Well Hyrule is just one Kingdom, or country, in that particular world. However, it may also be the name for that world and/or continent. In OoT Zelda said that Ganon may not just take over Hyrule, but the entire world (or something similar to that), so we can rule out it being the name of the planet. In the original LoZ instruction booklet they refer to it as such;

A long, long time ago the World was in an age of Chaos. In the middle
of this chaos, in a little kingdom in the land of Hyrule, a legend was
being banded down from generation to generation, the legend of the
"Triforce"; golden triangles possessing mystical powers.

So perhaps Hyrule is the name of the kingdom AND continent? Or maybe at the time period of LoZ Hyrule had been split into several small kingdoms. Maybe a Civil War of some sort. This would also beg the question of other continents out there. However I tend to believe this was either a mistranslation or it was later retconned. I believe it's just supposed to be a singular kingdom. A highly significant one, what with the legend of TF and Golden Goddesses seeming to be concentrated there.

We do know of Labrynna and Holodrum laying outside of Hyrule's borders. How far away they are is impossible to say, though I assume they are fairly close for Impa is there, which means at the very least the Hyrule royal family is aware of their existence. They may be the only other nations out there, or maybe there are dozens, even hundreds, of small kingdoms. Interesting to think about either way.

Hyrule is an allegory for a land prior to the Neolithic revolution. It's logical to assume there are other lands surrounding it in the same world which are unseen in most titles due to the primitive technology. The only installment which is a particular head scratcher is The Wind Waker as The Great Sea appears to be the entirety of all there is. I realize this was a move due to hardware restraints and crafting a condensed experience in a world scaled to traditional franchise size but it almost excludes the exterior entirely.

Didn't the King of Red Lions (or whatever his name was) stop you from going further than the edge of the map when you tried to sail out there? That hints at there being more out there, just that we can't visit it in game.

the Mushroom Kingdom?? Some times i think that Nitendo games are on the same planet. ( starfox and Metroid's games takeing place in the same universe). but who knows, we do theirs other places besides Hyrule like Termina .

T

tomchristie22

I like to consider Termina and Koholint Island different continents in the same world, just for the sake of it being less segregated, and Hyrule not being the only country there. Labrynna and Holodrum & New Hyrule are also canonical regions outside of Hyrule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom