• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Is/Are Your Favorite Video Game Genre(s)?

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
There are many, many, MANY different genres in the world of video games. Everything from the normal adventure and action games, to the difficult rouge-lite and RPG genres, and even to virtual board games and dating sims. And with new games being made constently, who knows how many genres will be created? So, what is your favorite genre, or favorite genres? Which do you enjoy most? Or do you not have one? Share your opinion here!

Honestly, myself, I like sandbox games and simulators. The open feeling of running around a huge world is so exciting yet so relaxing, in a way. Especially if its in nature. Also, simulator games can be anything, and they can be even the strangest of things. They can be weirdly enjoyable!

I also really like certain farming games. Nothing like Farming Simulator (Which contradicts my earlier genre choice XD) or FarmVille, but more like Harvest Moon and Rune Factory.

Squirrel

The Rodent King
I'm a racing game man. I pride myself in always winning my races :cool:

And also I just generally love open world games. I can waste days playing open world driving games.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Live-action adventure games for me, I enjoy other types of games as well, but those are the ones that really stick out for me

JetPunx-R

I can smell you
Hmm, well the genres I seem to play more often are Hack n Slash, Adventure, J/RPG and platformers. I'm trying to get myself into the horror genres like Silent Hill and Resident Evil.

ABC

I feel like just with music, it all changes from time to time. Some days, I'm totally into platformers and only that, then I go through a period of time where I'm only into racing games, then fighting games, then RPG, etc. and eventually go full circle.

• 3D collectathons - Super Mario Galaxy, Banjo-Kazooie, etc etc
  • Puzzle games - Tetris Attack, Quell and many many others
  • Point and click adventures - Monkey Island games, Back To The Future in 5 parts and others
  • Action adventure games - Diablo games, LoZ games, etc

Those are the game types I like the most. Master of Orion is one of my favourite games ever but it's one of the only 4X games I like. So I can't say I like the genre. But the above genres I like a lot. As well as select games from other genres.

You could say the overall theme of the games I like it thinking a lot to beat them and less about fast finger reflexes to win.

Last edited:
I generally like a bit of everything, depends on my mood at the time. Racing games are good for when I'm feeling competitive, puzzle games for when I want to relax, adventure games if I have a lot of time, platformers if I don't... I'll pretty much give it all a go ;)

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I tend to lean towards action-adventure, platforming, and RPGs when it comes to games. Occasionally I'll also play games in the racing, rythm, simulator, fighting, and first-person shooter genres. I generally like my games to have a balance between being mentally demanding and relying on manual dexterity.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
when i first started playing vidya, the vast majority of games fit into three genres
  • platformers
  • space shooty
  • pacman
i'll always have a soft spot for those. i used to play a lot of jrpg, 2.5D beat-em-ups, and RTS - but not so much any more now that getting 60 hours in to a game will sometimes take months.

my new favorite genre is "consumable in 15-30 minute chunks and costs $15 or less"

• Survival Horror/Action Horror
  • FPS
  • RTS
  • ARPG
  • 3rd person shooters
  • Racing games though I haven't been into that many as of recently. Last great racing game I played was Motorstorm RC.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If a game has an open-world adventure, I'm likely sold. I love being able to walk around and explore a wide-open space. I enjoy action/adventure RPGs a lot, like Monster Hunter. I absolutely love Monster Hunter. Fighting games are enjoyable, but I always get tired of them eventually. But they're a whole lot of fun for a while, for sure.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
I'm an absolute J/RPG and dungeon crawler junkie, especially if the plot is immersive, the world is ripe for exploration, allows deep customization for my party and is punishingly difficult. Etrian Odyssey is everything I want in a game series, combining all elements flawlessly, although the plot is usually held together by a shoestring until 3/4ths of the way in.

I also enjoy a good platformer and strategy game every once in awhile, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom