• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is a dungeon in the Zelda series you find to be overrated?

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
For me, I think the Sandship In Skyward Sword is pretty overrated. It looks cool, but in terms of gameplay, I just wasn’t a huge fan of it. I think the Time-Shift Stone gimmick was done better in Lanayru Mining Facility, and I would’ve rather had it be separate Time-Shift Stones than just one that effects the whole area.

MW7

I disagree with you on the preference of one vs separate timeshift stones, but I think this a great thread idea. My pick would be the Goron Mines in Twilight Princess. I think Twilight Princess has some of the best dungeons in the series, but I think the Goron Mines are a little overrated. The use of the iron boots to walk on magnetic surfaces was very creative, but the actual walking is so slow that it makes the experience less fun.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
I disagree with you on the preference of one vs separate timeshift stones, but I think this a great thread idea. My pick would be the Goron Mines in Twilight Princess. I think Twilight Princess has some of the best dungeons in the series, but I think the Goron Mines are a little overrated. The use of the iron boots to walk on magnetic surfaces was very creative, but the actual walking is so slow that it makes the experience less fun.
I can understand that. I just overall didn’t care much for the dungeon. And yeah, video game logic aside, I wish Link could’ve walked faster with the Iron Boots too. It felt annoying walking on the magnetic walls, even if the concept is very cool.

Reactions: MW7

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I agree with mark saying that oot's water temple is overrated in difficulty, but I can't think of any dungeons that are absurdly popular that I don't also like. The dungeons are a high point of zelda for me and it's easier for me to think of dungeons that are misunderstood or bad that I love anyway

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I don't know if it's overated per say, but definitely Snowpeak Ruins in TP. There's so many things about "Mystery of the Snowpeak ruins!" "What is the history of this place?" "Origin of the Snowpeak Ruins!" IT'S A HOUSE IN THE MOUNTAINS WHAT MORE IS THERE TO DISCOVER?!?!?! *Deep breath* anyway I don't mind the dungeon at all, I actually enjoy it, it's just that all the fuss gets annoying.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I don't know if it's overated per say, but definitely Snowpeak Ruins in TP. There's so many things about "Mystery of the Snowpeak ruins!" "What is the history of this place?" "Origin of the Snowpeak Ruins!" IT'S A HOUSE IN THE MOUNTAINS WHAT MORE IS THERE TO DISCOVER?!?!?! *Deep breath* anyway I don't mind the dungeon at all, I actually enjoy it, it's just that all the fuss gets annoying.
The red loftwing of tp

MW7

the water temple has an overrated reputation of being one of the hardest dungeons in the series, when I feel there are far worse water dungeons out there, I'd certainly play the water temple over certain other dungeons
Jabu Jabu in Oracle of Ages is way more confusing. It's a similar concept but having to think in 3 dimensions in a 2d game is much harder than thinking in 3 dimensions in a 3d game. I think the Water Temple, Great Bay Temple, and Lakebed Temple are all pretty similar in terms of difficulty. I love the way the dungeons are designed though despite them receiving too much of a reputation for difficulty.

As someone who loves that dungeon, I agree. I have no idea why the lore has taken off. It's actually unique in that it's so easily explained why it's there and not mysterious.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Spirit Temple, I'd say. Nothing particularly remarkable about it besides the atmosphere, maybe.
the water temple has an overrated reputation of being one of the hardest dungeons in the series, when I feel there are far worse water dungeons out there, I'd certainly play the water temple over certain other dungeons
Agreed. It's a good dungeon that gets too much hate for an (understandably) tedious item switching mechanic.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
I love the Spirit Temple, but yeah, for the second or third to last dungeon (depending on if you do the Shadow or Spirit Temple first), it’s a bit easy. Still love the atmosphere, music, and gameplay mechanics though.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I love the Spirit Temple, but yeah, for the second or third to last dungeon (depending on if you do the Shadow or Spirit Temple first), it’s a bit easy. Still love the atmosphere, music, and gameplay mechanics though.
You can actually do the spirit temple before the fire temple as well, since the only outside requirement to get in and beat the dungeon is the longshot.

Anyway, most of the Dungeons in OoT are incredibly unremarkable to me, with the only exception being the spirit temple since it’s the only one that really plays into the games main time-travel gimmick.

Something about the dungeons in SS always felt off to me. I have no idea what, but they feel different somehow, with ancient cistern being the biggest offender. This could very well be purely a me thing, but I just can’t shake the feeling and it makes me like the dungeons less because I can’t figure it out.

The first half of arbiters grounds was boring as hell. It was just the OoT forest temple again, only now the poes can only be beaten by wolf link. Once you get the spinner the dungeon becomes a blast, but before then everything about the dungeon is a drag.

I don’t know if this makes them overrated per se since I never really hear anyone talk about them good or bad, but every single dungeon in LBW was bad. All of them. I don’t think it’s the dungeons fault, but thanks to the item rental shop I was never compelled to explore them.

I don't know if I ever thought about a dungeon in the series being overrated, but everytime I hear about how great Hyrule Castle is to explore in Breath of the Wild I feel like I didn't enjoy what people feel are the more enjoyable elements of BOTW as much as everyone else did. It's just another frustrating part of Hyrule field with the guardian beams constantly having to be dealt with, then inside it's a relatively bland area with the same enemies you see everywhere else in the game. The loot can be good there but I can't say it was very fun there or interestingly designed really and I was in and out in a few minutes anytime I was ever there and warping back to more interesting places in the wild.

Completely agree! It's a good dungeon, but there's nothing special about it to me, it doesn't really stand out that much.
Couldn't disagree more. The forest temple has some of the best mood in the series. The approach to finding it, meeting Saria there, the wolves outside, how you get in, the design of it, the aesthetic, being stalked by the hand, the moving floor tiles attacking you, the mischief of the poes, fighting a Phantom Ganon coming out a painting. Everything about it is haunting and classic and part of the reason we are here today on a message board dedicated to the series.

That's just Zelda lore youtubers trying to make content. That doesn't take away from how grand in design Snowpeak Ruins is just because there's not much to the lore like all of the lore to Zelda not being as deep as we'd all like.

Still the dungeon is one of the most memorable in the series. The contrast between the cold harsh ruined areas of the dungeon and the warm comfort of the interior portions with the yetis. The twist at the end. The ice creature designs and slipping around classic Zelda ice dungeon portions finally realized in 3D outside of the small segments we saw them in Windwaker and OoT. The isolated setting. It's a really beautiful and well realized concept for a Zelda game and deserves all the fan love it's gotten over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom