• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Zelda Was a Man? ( a Prince )

Their have been other Discussions in the past about what if Link was a Girl? well in this Discussion i am gona turn the tables around abit and ask you this. How would you feel is Zelda was portrayed as a prince? how does that sound " Prince Zelda"? and maby perhaps Link could be in this scenario a girl and the genders switched. personally i would find this Weird to go save prince Zelda from Ganondorf. However this is just my opinion but what about you. how would you react if their was a LOZ game were Zelda is a prince and not a princess?

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
personally i would find this Weird to go save prince Zelda from ganondorth.

... What's a "ganondorth"? Do you mean "Ganondorf"?

I actually wouldn't mind. I think it would be neat for both Link and Zelda to be males. They could be childhood best friends like usual, just without the romance factor. However, the "Hero saves the Princess" factor is a series staple, so I highly doubt that will become "Hero saves the Prince". If it happened, though, I wouldn't mind. Zelda is already tomboy-ish in some games. Going the extra mile wouldn't be too much of a stretch, or at least I don't think so. However, some fans are completely change-o-phobic, and they'd probably hate to see something like that.

Given Nintendo's urge to play it safe and not offend players, a male Zelda would not insinuate a homosexual Link but rather a female protagonist which is an idea I'm generally opposed to.

I feel as though a female Link would be a "slapped on" addition much as a Female Shepard was in Mass Effect 3. A change in gender, especially in included as a minor option will do little to alter the narrative.

I'm also opposed to the idea of the sole choice of a female protagonist because it would greatly alter the narrative. Would Zelda be a guy then? Seems far-fetched too me. My proposal is revisiting a Zelda's Adventure type game, wherein Nintendo fleshes out the damsel in distress's personality.

All the points I've made in this thread thus far aside, the most compelling argument against a female Link is the overwhelming amount of male developers and employees in the industry. Who are the main people at Zelda's helm? Shigeru Miyamoto, Eiji Aonuma, Koji Kondo. Notice a similarity? They're all guys. Men can't relate to female protagonists as well therefore resort to same sex heroes, on the grounds of having a more personal understanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom