• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What if Zelda U had no magic meter at all?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I prefer the meter from A Link Between Worlds. The one that depletes whenever any of Link's items are used, and it regenerates by itself over time. But if I were given a choice of yes or no magic meter, I would pick yes. I enjoy another such element present.

I don't really mind the magic meter. Having it deplete on you adds a sense of tension, especially in places like the Well and Shadow Temple (places that relied on generating tension to convey their atmosphere). If magic is such a problem, then you just carry around a green potion. The day I play a Zelda that really forces me to frequently fall back on the contents of my bottle is a day that I'll be happy.

I don't really care either way, I'm ok with Zelda games that have no magic meter and games that do. its not difficult to find magic jars to replenish them, they're everywhere

Echidnux

Pundit Magician
i cannot permit such a travesty... no magic??? aghghghghgh

But really, magic will always be broken in Zelda games unless we go back to Adventure of Link's tight restraints on the magic meter. Might as well have meterless Zelda for Wii U but plenty of spells to cast.

i cannot permit such a travesty... no magic??? aghghghghgh

But really, magic will always be broken in Zelda games unless we go back to Adventure of Link's tight restraints on the magic meter. Might as well have meterless Zelda for Wii U but plenty of spells to cast.

Magic Jars could be gotten by striking statues and killing enemies till they dropped it when you weren't near a town.
In ALttP and every other game I've played that used a magic meter in the series you could find em everywhere. I just wish we got more use out of it and yes I desperately hope its not some crummy SS stamina meter. don't care it its bigger, I will flat out refuse to play it

Magic Jars could be gotten by striking statues and killing enemies till they dropped it when you weren't near a town.
In Zelda 2 you could use a magic potion in a boss fight for example. So you only have limited magic for healing and shield. And in the case of Thunderbird you need to choose between reflect and heal as you can't use both. I usually thunder it then shield then reflect. Then hope I beat it.

In most other Zelda games you could use potions in boss fights.

Or just change the magic meter into a combo meter. It works the same as the standard magic meter but it regenerates as you hit enemies. And you get upgrades to make the amount of magic regained per enemy hit more. You could compare this to the spirit meter in Hyrule Warriors. But instead of one massive X attack with your magic in Zelda WiiU, you'd slowly use the magic with certain weapons.

This could be used as a battle tactic in boss fights where you have to hit weak enemies to gain magic then use the magic with special weapons on the boss itself. Well and other ways to use a magic meter like this.

I still think no magic meter is better but if you had to have one in, this idea is not such a bad one I think.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
After watching the Game Awards video again, I noticed the meter hasn't been used at all. I can only assume this is because magic items or anything magical weren't used in that footage, therefore, meaning the actual true honest to god magic meter will be making a return and the meter we saw in the footage is said meter. Perhaps, the reason for it's return will have to do with major role it'll have to play unlike in past titles it's been featured.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Eh, I really couldn't care less if the magic metre, or something similar, appears. Is it a cool addition? Ya, definitely. Does it diminish the quality of the game in any way if it's removed? Absolutely not. I actually think quite the opposite would occur. It's not at all difficult to find magic jars and such in the games in which the magic metre is present, so it's almost as if it doesn't exist at all. If it has it, cool, if it doesn't, whatever, I'd probably play and enjoy it regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom