• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if this game turns out to be an absolute nightmare?

If they plan to make one gigantic dungeon into the sequel, it'd basically be like Phantom Hourglass with the Temple of the Ocean King but without any traditional dungeons.

No thanks, I'm not interested to this kind of gameplay and the pure intention to throw anything away which gave the Zelda series its unique flow.

Satoru was close with Miyamoto, and Miyamoto continues to watch over the Zelda series, his creation. I'd honestly start getting worried about it once Miyamoto and Aonuma are gone, the latter whom has been involved with Zelda since Ocarina of Time. But as long as the new developers respect the overall story, characters, and direction of the series, I think it should be just fine.
The only big, weird mechanic I'm expecting is Link's glowing green arm. And maybe a playable Zelda. :P Both of which I think are awesome and novel ideas.
I hope the big glowing arm isn't going to be an annoying mechanic we wish to chuck out.

If they plan to make one gigantic dungeon into the sequel, it'd basically be like Phantom Hourglass with the Temple of the Ocean King but without any traditional dungeons.

No thanks, I'm not interested to this kind of gameplay and the pure intention to throw anything away which gave the Zelda series its unique flow.
That's what I've been saying. I'm worried they'll go the 'cheap' route due to the 'rough times' which I'd say more but to not hit any political hot buttons: Nintendo will take the 'wait and see' approach doing the bare minimums to squeeze us by hence the delays to the game as they don't know how much or little to invest in order to not lose their shirt and go like the Commodore Plus 4 machine.......which ended hilariously badly.

I'm afraid it won't fix what I didn't enjoy about BOTW1. It will still lack many enemy types like the Stalfos and a lot of others. It will just rehash a lot of BOTW1's enemies. There still won't be dungeons because they're more interested in this overworlds as "dungeon like" game design. And the boss battles won't live up to pre-BOTW standards. They'll again be themed somehow and all the same and a small number too. Some kind of malice themed bosses that all look alike but have maybe a different "element" about them like the blight bosses. Then the final battle with Ganon will be as underwhelming as the final boss fight in the first game. I think I'll still enjoy skydiving and parasailing between islands and the physics of the BOTW game engine, but it won't be the old school Zelda experience I long for.

One would argue that the zelda formula "worked" and botw challenging its conventions was just to be different

Skyward sword almost certainly didn't work. Despite being in the best selling Nintendo console it was the worst selling 3d zelda game and worst received from fans. That formula was getting stale not because the formula wasn't good but because Nintendo didn't know what to do with it. Reusing and copy pasting the same stuff over and over.

Botw wasn't made just to be different. It was made to make zelda series relevant amongst the elite franchises and evolve the franchise beyond the blueprint Lttp and Ocarina of Time started way back. Botw will go down as one of the most important games in the series. It's easily the best selling one too.

I'm afraid it won't fix what I didn't enjoy about BOTW1. It will still lack many enemy types like the Stalfos and a lot of others. It will just rehash a lot of BOTW1's enemies. There still won't be dungeons because they're more interested in this overworlds as "dungeon like" game design. And the boss battles won't live up to pre-BOTW standards. They'll again be themed somehow and all the same and a small number too. Some kind of malice themed bosses that all look alike but have maybe a different "element" about them like the blight bosses. Then the final battle with Ganon will be as underwhelming as the final boss fight in the first game. I think I'll still enjoy skydiving and parasailing between islands and the physics of the BOTW game engine, but it won't be the old school Zelda experience I long for.

There no way they can get away with having awful dungeons again.

At the very least I'm confident BOTW2 will have vastly superior dungeons. They aren't going to copy paste another 120 shrines again so they're gonna incorporate those great shrines puzzles into the dungeons. Optional dungeons would be good too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom