• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if they did a Zelda movie? (Hope that never happens)

CyborgElfStephanie

Just a loser loving Legend of Zelda and anime
As we've seen many video game movies that were horrible though there are times where it isn't as bad and possibly that Sonic movie would not be as bad since they listened to the fans. But for one thing is that there is a chance that someone would make a Zelda movie and I pray to God that it'll never happen, but if it did what would it look like and would it be worth watching? (Possibly no)

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
It would be bad.

No beating around the bush, video game films never work.

For Zelda specifically, a focal character who can't speak and barely emotes (depending on the source game) would make it impossible for audiences to relate to him. You can play some fun tricks with visual storytelling, but when you're limited to grunts you'd have your work cut out for you.

Other characters could speak, but the contrast with out protagonist just passively listening wouldn't work too well overall.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Though I wish they made a movie on Zelda, the possibility that it would be a good movie is very less.
First problem they would face is the cast none in the Hollywood could play Zelda imo.

Secondly Link is mute. If in movie they gave voice to him, that would contradict the game. But if he's mute in the movie then only a very versatile actor could play him.

Thirdly the budget. Doing graphics for the boss battles would cost a ton. And we don't want a movie w/o action or boss battles, do we?

If Zelda was directed in the exact same way of LotR, Then I would be the first person to see it.

It would suck for sure, but that's because the movie industry itself sucks. There are actually very simple ways it can be good.

First things first, no live action. Second, make an actual Zelda plot, no "cartoon character goes to the real world and meets boring stock characters" bull****. Finally, don't take it so seriously. Make it corny and laughable, but in a tasteful way.

I can see a Zelda movie covering the second requirement quite well, but other than that will try to be some kid friendly Game of Thrones.

Secondly Link is mute. If in movie they gave voice to him, that would contradict the game. But if he's mute in the movie then only a very versatile actor could play him.
Link speaks in virtually every game since LA. How else would all these characters be able to respond to him?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
If they made one it would be ****. They don't know Zelda. Hollywood do really stupid things like **** up the designs of iconic characters, cut out things that are important and piss off the fans. IGN made in 2009 I believe an April Fools trailer of the exact kind of OOT Zelda movie that would suck. I know they did it to fool people but that's exactly what Hollywood would do for real that's why people actually believed it. They change link from a boy raised by a tree into a farmer raised by a human. You've seen Lord of The Rings. There is nothing wrong with a talking tree. And Hollywood would see things wrong with perfectly good aspects of the plot which may be quirky but it's what helps make the games so special.

I have thought about if I became a billionaire I would want to make a live action Ocarina of time myself and I can see with my A level in media studies that this can't be done in a single movie. Like Hollywood would try to do. It would be ridiculously rushed with no character development. They wouldn't make an 8 hour movie.

It would likely work better as a series but if OOT were to be made for the big screen it would require three movies.

The first having link trying to obtain the Triforce before Ganon and ending with his failure.

The second showing a ravaged Hyrule and link revisiting the home of the Kokiri, Gorons and Zora whilst being aided by Sheik. Awakening the new sages who he befriended in the previous movie.

The final movie bringing Link to the shadow temple and then to the birthplace of his enemy in the desert. This one would give a lot more backstory to the antagonist before link heads to the final showdown.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I would not want a Zelda movie because I don't trust it will be done right. Plenty of games or cartoons try to go live action and it goes to the crapper almost every single time.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I think it's possible for video game movies to work, and while I think Zelda would be one of the hardest ones to adapt, I think it could potentially work. It's a small small chance, but I can see it work.

Several Zelda conventions would have to be dropped for this to work, like Link being mute and the normal macguffin plotline with significance placed on items. Instead, a fun fantasy adventure could totally work within the context of the Zelda universe. I think the biggest problem with video game movies is trying to make the journey LIKE the game or not knowing where to draw the line on what works in a game and what works on the silver screen. I don't think it's impossible for a Zelda movie to work and would be open to the idea of one.

The only thing I would require is for it to be animated, Zelda simply doesn't work live action. There's zero way to make the green tunic look cool.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think the only way it could work was if they didn't really follow the formula of the games - make a completely new story. I don't see it working out well even in that case, though.

The timing of this thread is funny because just yesterday that rumor that just won't die of Studio Ghibli making a Zelda film re-surfaced, lol.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The timing of this thread is funny because just yesterday that rumor that just won't die of Studio Ghibli making a Zelda film re-surfaced, lol.
Even though it won’t happen I would totally watch a Ghibli Zelda movie. Even a short rather than a full movie from them would look beautiful enough for me to watch without caring so much about the actual content.

Best case scenario is for it to be a SyFy original type movie that stars Jim Carrey. Voices would be based on BoTW naturally, so Zelda would be played by someone with the worst British accent they could find, and Link would communicate via dramatic zoom ins on his face a la dialogues in Oblivion. Tingle would actually be the main star and played by Peewee Herman.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It would be bad if the film makers tried to adapt Zelda. Video games movies always waste their potential trying to mimic the plot and characters of the games without flexing any sort of creative freedom.

A good Zelda movie would use the series as reference and then flex its creative muscles to do its own thing. Any direct adaptation of the games would be bad. The last thing I want from a movie is to know exactly how things will turn out before buying my popcorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom