• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if The Wind Waker got a successor sequel?

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Yes, we all know that Phantom Hourglass was a sequel to The Wind Waker, and Spirit Tracks was the story of how after a century of founding New Hyrule they protected it from a new evil.

But... what if The Wind Waker got a proper sequel one day?

The original design of The Wind Waker was an open sea to sail across, with hazards and such keeping things interesting as you sailed island to island. However, due to the hardware limitations of the Game Cube, this was not realized to its full potential. Many islands were scrapped and most of said islands had to be smaller than originally planned. Some story beats even had to be scrapped, such as Greatfish Isle and its dungeon. And there were concepts within the development cycle that went unutilized.

For example: Link was able to travel on the surface far beneath the waves in sections of Hyrule in order to discover the lost history, complete dungeons far beneath the sea, and other such things. It had a system that was akin to Skyward Sword's relationship between the Sky and the Surface in place. But instead of Bird Statues taking you to the Sky, Link would have the opportunity to take fishing hooks to fishing platforms to rejoin his boat on the Seas. This concept was scrapped for the most part, save for Hyrule Castle, the uncomfortably short path between the castle and Ganondorf's Tower, and of course Ganondorf's tower.

But what if there was a sequel to The Wind Waker, where hundreds of years down the timeline... the seas began to recede? The Royal Family of New Hyrule, knowing of the secret history and the dark evil that was sealed away by the Hero of Winds and the Kingdom's founder, are fearful that Ganon might once again be loose from his seal, which is causing this sudden recession of the sea's waters.

And so, a voyage of knights is sent out to investigate what is happening in the Ancestral Archipelago (Old Hyrule). Imagine playing a game where the map size is the same in terms of square-milage... but the islands we once knew are now larger in size due to the waters receding, allowing for larger towns and communities? And due to the lower sea level, new islands spring about? New islands are added, such as the cut Smokestack Island that the Gorons were supposed to call home? And the game would recycle the concept of Link venturing to the surface to explore regions of Hyrule and complete dungeons therein?

The story could be one of split endings. On one hand, Link could make the choice to cease the waters being receded; understanding that the ancient history was washed away for a reason and that it should stay washed away. An ending to respect the actions of the Hero of Winds and the King of Red Lions. Or the player could choose to drain the sea and allow the people to resettle the ancient lands. After all, Ganon is long dead and the new evil force has been vanquished by Link. New Hyrule could greatly expand its borders, resources, and land to live off of. A choice which would have Link act in defiance of King Daphnis' choice to flood the old country. The new generations are forging a Kingdom of their own. Perhaps the new kingdom deserves to know of its origins?

Whaddya guys think?
With the newer hardware showing off the fact that an open world such as Breath of the Wild can be pulled off, surely a minimalist open world of sailing and occasional surface dwelling could be fully executed to a degree that surpasses the original vision of The Wind Waker at the start of its development?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Just a side note, I love the phrase you used of "ancestral archipelago". It's just very satisfying to say.
But anyway, I think this is an interesting concept. The idea you brought up could make for something cool, a post phantom hourglass game leading to another timeline split depending on the character's final decision. I could see a lot of potential for something like that, and it would be a first for the zelda series (unless you count winning or failing the final battle in oot, in which case I've created the downfall timeline more times than I would care to admit).
Perhaps the main problem I see with this is just in the idea of it being tied to ww. I don't think ninty would ever want to go back to the toon style, and may consider it to have enough follow-ups already. It is something cool to consider, though.

But what if there was a sequel to The Wind Waker, where hundreds of years down the timeline... the seas began to recede? The Royal Family of New Hyrule, knowing of the secret history and the dark evil that was sealed away by the Hero of Winds and the Kingdom's founder, are fearful that Ganon might once again be loose from his seal, which is causing this sudden recession of the sea's waters.

Considering that Hyrule and Ganon were both Triforce'd, this is impossible.

However, from a gameplay perspective, I wouldn't mind a Zelda game that's a spiritual successor to TWW.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom