• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if The Emperor's New Groove released today?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
People would be going insane over what would be a box-office record setter. Seriously, I feel it would be much more appreciated today that when it first released.

karu

Panamaniac
If that movie was released today I don't think the generations of today would enjoy it very much, seeing as to how they're used to more advanced animated stuff of in general stuff like Suicide Squad and all that. They're not innocent anymore :'(

Mido

Version 1
If that movie was released today I don't think the generations of today would enjoy it very much, seeing as to how they're used to more advanced animated stuff of in general stuff like Suicide Squad and all that. They're not innocent anymore :'(

This is an interesting point, especially in discussing animation. The animation in The Emperor's New Groove is quite good, but the more frequent use of 3D animation in recent years perhaps would would turn people off to a throwback of 2D animation in large budget films such as this one, especially coming from a giant like Disney. While I personally do not consider this specific movie among Disney's elite, it is a good one most certainly. As far as the OP wagers, I'd assume that Kuzco and his wacky adventure would be a modest hit if it had a release today, but perhaps even greater given Disney is behind the wheel. I find it difficult to wager mainly based on the trend of animation-style preferences.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I personally prefer the 2d style and do the understand why Disney is making liveaction versions of perfectly good films (sorry a little off topic) but I do think that the increase in live action and 3d movies would make people turn away from it

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I wouldn't want the art style to change, the 2D animation suits this movie way too well. The jokes are timeless and since it isn't set in the current day, there wouldn't be any lame pop culture references that date the film. It's difficult to predict how it would have performed in the current setting, but I definitely wouldn't have liked it any less than I do now.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I'm not sure if it would be more appreciated if it were released today. I personally love the movie, but if you really think about it, the story is a bit weird making it harder to market. Plus I think the humor and animation style was perfect for when the movie originally came out, but might not appeal to kids today. It definitely doesn't get the appreciation it deserves though. Even the show on the Disney Channel was pretty good, but is often overlooked.

Storm

Ghost of The Roleplay Section
kuzco_is_not_amused_by_kol98-d5v7oyx.png

it is Gold, and always Will be

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom