• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if someone else tries to hold the master sword?

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
Like say link has already pulled it out would he be able to hand it over to someone else? I imagine it would fall to the ground like thors hammer Mjolnir what do you think?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I imagine it would probably result in the combustion of anyone with an evil heart who tried to hold it. As for a person who is neither Link nor Zelda (who having the spirit of the Goddess of whom the sword originally belonged to) with a neutral karma level I would imagine it would be a similar situation to Thor handing over Mjolnir.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've always thought that someone who was unworthy of the sword was unable to make contact with the handle. Maybe their hand would go through it, or it would spark at them or Farore would smite them with her green rage
Or something

I assume anybody else (besides those with evil intentions) would be able to wield it, and if they were good with swords, possibly effectively. However, I doubt it would have the evil's bane powers like it does when Link wields it.

Only problem is that enemies in some way or form clearly moved the MS to the Volcano Summit, as it's incredibly unlikely it just fell out of his sheath and magically ended up where it did.

Djinn

and Tonic
I think drawing the blade is the biggest challenge. Typically the pedestal it is placed in requires three pendants, or stones, or the blessing of the gods etc or else it cannot be pulled.

Once it is drawn nearly anyone who is not evil can use it. Twice it has been left with blacksmiths to toy with, and Zelda holds it in WW. They might not be able to use it to its fullest but they can hold ans swing it.

As far as evil touching it, it is said that it glows with a light that demons hate, evil cannot touch it, and it repels evil. I do not think that repels means it bounces a hand back with some forcefield. But the glowing with a light that demons hate thing might be a type of energy that burns or damages them. Evil hearted people might be emotionally repelled by it, as in seriously not wanting to touch it at all or they have some form of fear from touching it. Repel can mean a lot of things which muddles this a lot.

Taken from the game
"The sacred red flame has imbued your blade with a divine power that repels evil."
"Along your travels you have found wisdom, power, and courage, and for this I shall bless your sword with the goddess's power. May it give you and your sword the strength to drive back the abomination that threatens this land!" — Zelda
"There can be no doubt. The sacred flames have purified this blade. Well done, [Link]. That sword holds tremendous power. That power is a sacred force. It is a divine power left to us by the gods of old. The same power that is spoken of in the Ballad of the Goddess." — Impa

That makes it a divine imbued blade. In other stories and RPGs divine energy does extra damage or repels evil, undead, or demons. According to other games

The Light grants paladins and priests additional power against the undead, ensuring that these profane beings corrupt the world no longer. Its power are agonizingly painful and destructive to them. -WoW

The great weakness of demons is a holy or other good weapon. Such weapons overcome every demon’s natural resistances, and are one of the few types of weapons that all demons fear equally. -Pathfinder

A holy weapon is imbued with holy power. This power makes the weapon good-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damage reduction. It deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against all creatures of evil alignment. D&D 3.5

This weapon is good-aligned and thus bypasses the corresponding damage reduction. When a weapon of holy power strikes an evil target, this power erupts forth and deals +3d6 points of bonus holy (good) damage to the target,

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I like to think of the Master Sword as being really similar to Excalibur, or, if you consider them to be separate items, the Sword in the Stone of Arthurian Legend. Only one person was able to draw the sword from the pedestal, and that person is destined to be the sword's master. Others could wield the sword, but only King Arthur could use it to its full potential. I think the Master Sword is the same kind of thing. Link is the one that is able to draw the sword from its pedestal, and he is therefore its true master, the only one that can use it to its full potential. To others, it is just another blade, but to Link, it is the blade of evil's bane. I like to think that the story of the Master Sword is actually inspired, or at least partially inspired, by the story of King Arthur because they are quite similar.

I always figured it'd be like a Jedi's lightsaber or something. You could pick it up, even use it a bit, but it'd be clumsy in the hands of all but the one who it is intended for, and they would not be able to use it to its full potential.

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
Well, that's someone other than Link using the master sword right there. Not sure the trollface was necessary though. XD
technically that scene originally took place when the master sword was still the goddess sword and the dragons trails were just a vision i think it didnt actually happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom