• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What if Nintendo Made a Dark Zelda Game Again?

geek4887

The Unknown
We saw two dark Zelda games from Nintendo so far: Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Both games were a huge success, the latter being the second best selling Zelda of all time. I loved both of these games, and I hope that Nintendo would make a new one with the atmosphere influenced by both of these games. Some people thought that either of these games were TOO dark. Well, MM was sorta dark, but it had its happy moments, too many that it almost made you think that the world wasn't even gonna end. Twilight Princess on the other hand was, umm, you could say a "failed" Resident Evil 4. Anyways, I still love both of them. Twilight Princess was, to me, the darker of both games. Right from the beginning, it talked about loss, and sadness.

Like I said, these games were a hit! I wouldn't mind if Nintendo made a game just like these two(although majority of Zelda fans didn't like the dark atmosphere of these games). Hey, maybe they could just make it for the 3DS only.

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
I'm kind of unsure on whether or not we'll see a dark Zelda game soon or even at all. If you look at the recent trend of Zelda games that have come out you'll notice that they've all been on the lighter side. PH and ST were both bright games but thats probably just because the "Cartoon esque" But even SS looks like its gonna be another "light game" so I think if they were to make another dark Zelda game it would be on the 3DS some time in the near future or maybe they won't even make one for a long time.

Hey, another thought is that Zelda Wii U could be a dark Zelda game. I think that will actually most likely happen know. Just looking at the systems graphic capabilities... They could really make a dark game with that.. Possibly even a really scary Zelda... but even that's taking it to far I think.

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
I'm kind of unsure on whether or not we'll see a dark Zelda game soon or even at all. If you look at the recent trend of Zelda games that have come out you'll notice that they've all been on the lighter side. PH and ST were both bright games but thats probably just because the "Cartoon esque" But even SS looks like its gonna be another "light game" so I think if they were to make another dark Zelda game it would be on the 3DS some time in the near future or maybe they won't even make one for a long time.

Hey, another thought is that Zelda Wii U could be a dark Zelda game. I think that will actually most likely happen know. Just looking at the systems graphic capabilities... They could really make a dark game with that.. Possibly even a really scary Zelda... but even that's taking it to far I think.

Yes, sir. I have been hoping that they would use TP's art style for a new zelda game for the WiiU. They could finally fix all those texture problems from TP!

Twili123prince

"ZINGA-DINGDING"
Yes, sir. I have been hoping that they would use TP's art style for a new zelda game for the WiiU. They could finally fix all those texture problems from TP!

Maybe not even TPs art style. Maybe they could use a completely different darker mature art style in the game. I'm not sure how they would do that though, I'm sure they'd find a way, Just a thought though.

I'm not sure about the texture problems you speak of though in TP... Could you elaborate a little on that, please? Because I don't remember seeing any texture problems in the game. That could just be my memory though.

Pen

The game is on!
I also love both of the games, and they are indeed the darker ones in the Zelda series. However I think they are dark in different ways. MM was very, very dark at many points of the game, but it was still extremely happy on many places as well. TP on the other hand was sort of dark all the time, throughout the whole game, but it was never as dark as MM was at it's darkest occasions.

A new dark Zelda title would be grand! Sadly SS isn't going to be very dark (at least it doesn't seem so to me). But perhaps a brand new game on the 3DS will be dark. After all, we've never had a dark Zelda game for a handheld console. That would be utterly extraordinary!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Why do so many people say MM was dark? It wouldn't call it dark at all, just eerie and desperate-feeling.

Anyway, I don't expect there to be a game like TP again, but I do expect the next console Zelda to be a bit darker than "normal". I don't know why, I just do. I expect it to be sort of like Hyrule's state in the adult portion of OoT in the general tone of the game, and I also expect loads of action. That's just me saying crap for no real reason, as there's no real basis to say what I have, but it's just the gut feeling I have for what's next in console Zelda.

As for how it would do, I think it would sell extremely well. Mainly because it's Zelda, of course, but it's just that darker games attract audiences after having a few games that weren't dark. It's a nice balance to a series and keeps things fresh. Again, I don't expect another TP, but I do think the next console game will be a bit darker than usual. If not dark, than a bit more mature. (The other side of TP.)

Last edited:

CrazyforCuckoos

Purveyor of Cuckoos
Who says that Skyward Sword isn't going to be dark? I guess the art scheme kind of makes people think it won't be. I think though, that Skyward Sword will be the most romantic of the series.

geek4887

The Unknown
Well, I'm glad that I am not the only one who want a dark Zelda! For one, dark, Zeldas seem to have a more indulging and interesting storyline than most Zeldas. Sometimes, i usually like the story more (that's why I am a fan of Kingdom Hearts too). Look at Twilight Princess' story, that was better than "Oh no! The princess is kidnapped, go save her by collecting these!" I'm sure that Nintendo can come up with a story, but not just as serious as a dark Zelda game can produce.

geek4887

The Unknown
I'd be glad if Nintendo made a dark Zelda game. Just not the kind of dark you would see in Twilight Princess, which is kind of literal and stereotypical. I would like a deep story, engaging plot and a heavy atmosphere, like Majora's Mask had.

TP had an interesting story. Anyways, at first, I never saw how MM could've been dark, then I saw the moon.:O Anyways, TP was probably darker for me. I dunno, that's MY opinion.

Ballad of Gales

The wind is mine!
Something i personally think would be good is a dark cartoony zelda, cartoonish and dark aren't always opposite*cough*WW earth temple*cough* and the dark cartoony style would really contribute to the creepy darkness aura that the game may try and give, also if they use a darker palette(like mm mask had in compraison to OoT). Music can always help, so its not just the art style, what makes it dark is the aura it gives off...

So i don't think it will be long enough until the next DARK ZELDA GAME...

Last edited:

geek4887

The Unknown
Something i personally think would be good is a dark cartoony zelda, cartoonish and dark aren't always opposite*cough*WW earth temple*cough* and the dark cartoony style would really contribute to the creepy darkness aura that the game may try and give, also if they use a darker palette(like mm mask had in compraison to OoT). Music can always help, so its not just the art style, what makes it dark is the aura it gives off...

So i don't think it will be long enough until the next DARK ZELDA GAME...
Well, I never mentioned that the graphic art style had to be the only dark thing. Music and everything else, like you said, would contribute. Nintendo has an open mind. If they come up with a dark zelda game, we'll see how it all works out.

I would love another dark Zelda!

And let's not forget Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple in OOT! Those were fantastic.

They need to introduce "swordless Link" occasions to creepy locations.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I think you should consider what other people percieve as "dark" before saying that Nintendo hasn't made any dark Zelda games.

For example, I didn't think Twilight Princess was that dark. I saw how it tried to be, but something about the atmosphere didn't really click with me. It's just my opinion, though.

Twilight Princess on the other hand was, umm, you could say a "failed" Resident Evil 4.

Mmm... that's an interesting way to describe Twilight Princess, but I don't really agree with it. I didn't think Twilight Princess was trying to be Resident Evil-like dark, but it came off to me as a bit inconsistent with the direction it was going. Some of the scenes were trying to be genuinely creepy, like the one where Renado and the kids are trapped in Kakariko, and I can see that. But the whole game came off to me as somewhat hit-or-miss in other parts to me. I'm not saying that the game didn't come off as dark at all, just that it didn't really do it for me at parts, but it did on others.

Now on Majora's Mask, I do think it was really dark.

I mean, Skull Kid being controlled by a mask that houses a spirit with sadistic tendencies, and wants to make a lot of random people suffer before dropping an angry moon on them for no reason at all. That sounds darker than how Twilight Princess turned out in the end to me, personally.

And to finish it off: I can see why somebody wouldn't think Skyward Sword will be dark, but to be honest, it has some dark-ish elements you gotta give it credit for. Believe me, I made a thread about the same thing, and some good points came off in it. It was mainly about Ghirahim's behavior and the things that could be implied by it. I guess you could just say every Zelda is dark in it's own way.

Ganondork

goo
Before I start going in too much, I just want to point out that A Link to the Past is also considered a "dark" game.

Anyway, I think another dark Zelda game could actually have a positive effect on the series. Twilight Princess was disliked by groups for it's similarity to Ocarina of Time - and multiple other things that aren't on topic in this thread. Majora's Mask was a very popular Zelda game, and so was A Link to the Past. In fact, it's about neck-and-neck between Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time for most popular. Two of the three games are darker Zelda games, so that should give you an idea as to how people feel about dark Zelda games.

I actually feel that Majora's Mask was darker than Twilight Princess, though. Twilight Princess had a dark feel, but it didn't really deliver in the "dark" area in the storyline - at least in my opinion. Majora's Mask lacked the dark feel, but the overall idea of Majora's Mask was much darker. Basically a cursed mask has possessed Skull Kid and is causing him to torture - and inflict pain to - people before killing them with a moon. In Twilight Princess, an usurper is being controlled by Ganondorf and they want to bathe Hyrule in Twilight. That's quite a big difference actually.

Zelda could definitely prosper from a dark game. It keeps the older audience, but can also maintain the young kids' parent's approval. I'm saying to make it dark, but not have a lot of people just being killed for no particular reason. That's begging for the first M-rated Zelda game, and over a stupid thing. Not to mention, the story can be more interesting and immersive with it not being "I'm on a journey to kill a bad guy, but life is good!" There has to be some form of dread to really make the story realistic. You can't have Link going down a bright Hyrule field and he's heading to Ganon's Castle which is littered with corpses. It just can't happen. I'm not saying such a thing has happened - or ever will for that matter - but it's a simple example of the contradictions.

It could definitely be good to have another dark Zelda, but it would have to learn from Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past. If executed properly, this dark Zelda could actually be the greatest Zelda yet.

Another darker Zelda would probably be successful. There are a lot of people who want a mature Zelda however, Axle the Beast said that Zelda is family friendly and I agree. There are dark moments in Zelda games like the Bottom of the Well and the Shadow Temple in OoT, but they are not nightmarish. MM darkness just messed around with your emotions while TP tried to be more bad a** in my opinion. TP wasn't really the darkest game made, but it is pretty dark for a Zelda. Though I actually do like the mature theme a little bit. You fell like a true hero. An example is when Colin from TP got kidnapped by King Bublin. The image of Colin tied up on that post was disturbing and you had to fight swarm of enemies on your horse. When you fought King Bublin on the bridge and won, there was an image of Link and Epona that I will never forget. MM is full of those heroic moments to my knowledge(still don't own MM yet). Zelda games can have a little bit of maturity in them, but most of us have played Zelda games at a young age. Zelda games should have this fairy tale charm to them and have them family friendly because that is what Zelda is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom